RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Going to battle with Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 07:09 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Going to battle with Insurance

Good day (well night) fellow RX owners. Last Saturday, my wife was out driving our 2004 Lexus RX330 when a driver pulled out in front of her and hit our RX.

My wife and the other driver had to go to the hospital (wife is very sore), however the other person doesn't have insurance. So I'm going through mine to get value recoup.

That's where the fun begins. I use Geico, who uses a "third party" to evaluate "like vehicles and determine their "like value. Only one problem CCC-One doesn't use like vehicles. They use the bottom, of the barrel, auto auction after auto auctioned car to provide "comparables". Lets just say the comparables they chose, didn't have navigation, backup, HIDS etc. Best of all some RX's have 160-180K miles (mine had 123,000)

So now I'm building my case. I'm hoping you folks will be able to help locate sales numbers. The most infuriating thing is there are ZERO white Lexus's in my vicinity, so what is my car getting valued on? Oh...the gold and light blue ones. Thoughts on how I can prove "actual" cash value??

Another fun fact, my car had it's timing/waterpump, new brakes/rotors, and new radiator done for the tune of $2000, this was done less than 1500 miles ago at the end of January...their credit for that? $200

Besides having records of maint, the insurance is saying they don't account for maintenance, yet are dumbfounded when I say like for like, I should be able to have the damn near exact same car as prior to my accident, where the ones they list are nowhere close.

Ideas on how to bring the common sense back to them?
Old 03-07-16, 11:07 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure if this will help but pricehub.com lists what cars actually sold for. You can search it for RX330 & it will give you sold, average price by mileage, and 330's for sale.
Old 03-07-16, 12:40 PM
BensonRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through the same thing at the moment. It's very hard to find AWD RX's in Florida -- most come here via the rust belt. We had one of the rare ones that was here it's whole life and still looks like new underneath. None of the comps listed in the valuation are closer than 2-1/2 hours from me, but I will almost guarantee that they have Midwest corrosion issues.
Old 03-07-16, 04:41 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

My friend, I wish you luck. I've had to walk them step by step to show my valuation was ridiculous.

How ridiculous you might ask? So ridiculous that they insurance and evaluation has stated color, has no value for used vehicles.

In addition, I've found 3 in the country within a reasonable mileage of mine (up 12000/year both up and down) With my features, it represents .4% of the available vehicles on the market.

They still state color has no weight when buying a used car. They're getting so close to getting that lawyer letter it's not even funny.
Old 03-08-16, 06:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe worth a drive to California or Arizona, At least they would be rust free, say road trip....Another source would be Carmax which would ship the vehicle for a charge.
Old 04-26-16, 05:26 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Well, after 2 months. We've settled and they have had to shell out quite a bit more than what they purposed.

All is well in the world and if you find yourself in a similar situation, PM me, I'm pretty sure I'm a lawyer now
Old 04-27-16, 06:59 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
Well, after 2 months. We've settled and they have had to shell out quite a bit more than what they purposed.

All is well in the world and if you find yourself in a similar situation, PM me, I'm pretty sure I'm a lawyer now
I did this for a old 95 honda civic. I had to show them hos the comparables they used was not valid (Mileage,engine size, two door vs 4, trim options, condition) They said they could not find any other comparables in my area, I expanded my search using the near by states. used cars dot com to search. found the best three comparables I sent those listing with them. After a six weeks the offer of $500 went to $700 to $1500. you bug them enough and they will pay for you to get out of their hair.
I heard of stories they way to go is to file a small claims court and they will usually settle rather and take you to court.
be realistic though. Our cars are worth more in our heart than what it is sometimes. Maintenance is not counted in direct value. It hurts but its true.
Old 04-28-16, 03:15 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geico...can save you up to 15-20% on your auto insurance...or they can screw you 15-20 times too
Old 04-30-16, 04:33 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Originally Posted by jooksing82
I did this for a old 95 honda civic. I had to show them hos the comparables they used was not valid (Mileage,engine size, two door vs 4, trim options, condition) They said they could not find any other comparables in my area, I expanded my search using the near by states. used cars dot com to search. found the best three comparables I sent those listing with them. After a six weeks the offer of $500 went to $700 to $1500. you bug them enough and they will pay for you to get out of their hair.
I heard of stories they way to go is to file a small claims court and they will usually settle rather and take you to court.
be realistic though. Our cars are worth more in our heart than what it is sometimes. Maintenance is not counted in direct value. It hurts but its true.
Lets just say they paid out well more than they thought they would. The insurance industry def needs change. Maintenance not being counted is the just downright dumbest thing I've encountered.

Went from an offer of 10600 to just shy of 14k once all said and done, my NADA retail was 12600. They also then lost a customer, as I switch carriers (before I knew they'd try to drop me in spite) so all in all, fight for it if you can, but beware of the garbage they will drag you through!
Old 05-02-16, 01:39 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
Lets just say they paid out well more than they thought they would. The insurance industry def needs change. Maintenance not being counted is the just downright dumbest thing I've encountered.

Went from an offer of 10600 to just shy of 14k once all said and done, my NADA retail was 12600. They also then lost a customer, as I switch carriers (before I knew they'd try to drop me in spite) so all in all, fight for it if you can, but beware of the garbage they will drag you through!
Good to hear you got above the retail. I doubt they will ever take that in to consideration because then it will start to get too messy. Insurance is a for profit company and will not always be in your best interest. But the good message to all is you do not have to settle with what they offer. It may take some effort and argument but often you can get them to bump their numbers. No need to get nasty with them, I try to get them on my side. They are just employees of corporation with directions to follow.