RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Potential purchase advice

Old 12-07-15, 09:19 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential purchase advice

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Doing a little research for a 2004 RX330 that my wife may want. The link below has all the info and pics but basically It has 160k miles, 2wd and an asking price of $9750.

http://www.rainbowluxuryimports.com/...6/Details.aspx

I've started reading through and search some threads to get an idea of common problems to look for when we go test drive this RX. Leaking ps rack seems to be number one. Any other obvious ones I've missed to lookout for? Also, their price seems to be quite high for the mileage. I'm thinking the dealer gave way less for this on trade in. Any thoughts on the bottom end to start negotiating?

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 12-08-15, 07:55 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I would offer 8500-9k.

- Leaking rack is biggest. Dealer charges ~1200 to change.
- Make sure timing belt/water pump completed.
- 2004 had radiator issues
- checks struts....they are usually toast by then
- spark plugs changed - sounds simple but the rear 3 are a pain to get to.

All these things give you negotating leverage.
Old 12-08-15, 09:16 AM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

Alchemist got it spot on. With 2wd you may be able to even go a bit lower on your offer. I am in the same place of you, looking at buying an RX in next couple of months. If I do I will be leaving a 02' CRV, the thing is as reliable as an anvil.
Old 12-08-15, 11:37 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

For comparison: Last month, I bought this exact same color 2004 RX here in the Chicago area in very good shape. Mine has 102K, AWD, and Nav. I got dealer maintenance records and a clean Carfax, which included timing belt and radiator. I paid $10,500. Without AWD and Nav, and with the miles, I'd put your car closer to $8K, though you are in a warmer climate!

Pay attention to front end rattles, and transmission clunks. Also try to find some proof of oil change history. Some of the higher mileage ones I've seen have quite the sludgy buildup under the valve cover. Good luck.
Old 12-08-15, 12:00 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
I would offer 8500-9k.

- Leaking rack is biggest. Dealer charges ~1200 to change.
- Make sure timing belt/water pump completed.
- 2004 had radiator issues
- checks struts....they are usually toast by then
- spark plugs changed - sounds simple but the rear 3 are a pain to get to.

All these things give you negotating leverage.
Will do on checking the maintenance records if they have them.
Does the rack usually leak in a certain spot or just should be fairly obvious if i lay on the ground and look up under there with a light?
Old 12-08-15, 12:07 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joelchicago
For comparison: Last month, I bought this exact same color 2004 RX here in the Chicago area in very good shape. Mine has 102K, AWD, and Nav. I got dealer maintenance records and a clean Carfax, which included timing belt and radiator. I paid $10,500. Without AWD and Nav, and with the miles, I'd put your car closer to $8K, though you are in a warmer climate!

Pay attention to front end rattles, and transmission clunks. Also try to find some proof of oil change history. Some of the higher mileage ones I've seen have quite the sludgy buildup under the valve cover. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips Joel. And your number is close to the number I came up with in my head. NADA values for yours puts average trade in near $10k. That nada value for the one i'm looking at is $8k. I'll may push it a little harder and start at $7k.
Old 12-08-15, 01:45 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind you have a major service coming up at 180k miles if the vehicle has been serviced on schedule, this doesn't include Timing Belt/Water pump. Around $1500 and, new struts figure another $1000 if you don't do any of these yourself. I think the asking price is high.
Old 12-08-15, 04:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree, asking price is high!
Old 12-08-15, 07:32 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSBen
Keep in mind you have a major service coming up at 180k miles if the vehicle has been serviced on schedule, this doesn't include Timing Belt/Water pump. Around $1500 and, new struts figure another $1000 if you don't do any of these yourself. I think the asking price is high.
That is true. Good news is she only drives about 5k miles per year, so should have some time for that. I'm a relatively handy DIY'er so I'd for sure do the struts myself. Timing belt, depends. I found the maintenance schedule pdf on here.
Old 12-08-15, 07:37 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

So I found on the forum that Lexus will let you access the service history if you 'join' their website. I think thats super cool! So check out this crazy report from after Hurricane Katrina Landfall:

NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, DIAG $79.00PL TX CUST RAN TEST GOT EVAP EMISSIONS CODE, VEHICLE WAS UP ON RACK IN SHOP IN N.O. AFTER STORM, SOMEONE BROKE IN AND CUT PIPE BY FUEL TANK TO DRAIN FUEL, CUST ORDERED PIPE FROM US AND REINSTALLED PIPE PLEASE GIVE EST - CODES 440,441,446, WRONG STYLE GAS CAP ON. NO SEALING ACTION FOR EMISSIONS - R/R GAS CAP. PERFORM EVAP PRESSURE TEST TO CHECK INTEGRITY OF EVAP SYSTEM. CLEAR CODES.

Will be going through the rest of the service history to make sure its not a lemon or something like that.

Last edited by mefferso; 12-08-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 09:25 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mefferso
Will do on checking the maintenance records if they have them.
Does the rack usually leak in a certain spot or just should be fairly obvious if i lay on the ground and look up under there with a light?
Get on your knees behind front passenger tire. look towards engine. Boot on that side of rack typically leaks.
Old 12-09-15, 10:31 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mefferso
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Doing a little research for a 2004 RX330 that my wife may want. The link below has all the info and pics but basically It has 160k miles, 2wd and an asking price of $9750.

http://www.rainbowluxuryimports.com/...6/Details.aspx

I've started reading through and search some threads to get an idea of common problems to look for when we go test drive this RX. Leaking ps rack seems to be number one. Any other obvious ones I've missed to lookout for? Also, their price seems to be quite high for the mileage. I'm thinking the dealer gave way less for this on trade in. Any thoughts on the bottom end to start negotiating?

Thanks in advance
Mike
I'm no expert but I do look at a lot of Lexus vehicles on a daily basis as well as service history and I see them quite regularly for same asking price and 60k less miles, so around 100k, with a relatively clean history, in my area. I would pass on this one and keep looking. Nothing like patience when your buying a used car. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-09-15, 03:02 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Also check the dashboard for cracks/stickiness. There is a large thread here about that. There is a warranty enhancement from Lexus (basically a free repair) but as the thread lists it can be a long wait.
Old 12-09-15, 08:12 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
Get on your knees behind front passenger tire. look towards engine. Boot on that side of rack typically leaks.
Thats exactly what I was look for, thanks!
Old 12-09-15, 08:13 PM
mefferso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX3302004
Also check the dashboard for cracks/stickiness. There is a large thread here about that. There is a warranty enhancement from Lexus (basically a free repair) but as the thread lists it can be a long wait.
My parents have an Avalon and their dash just started cracking. I guess thats all part of the same recall. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential purchase advice