RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Would you buy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 05:16 PM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you buy...

Would anyone here buy an RX350 with 90,000 that had the oil cooling line rupture at 73,000? Nothing's probably as important as the condition of the engine but fwiw the RX is in excellent condition. Service records are ample and it appears it's been taken care of. This particular had a transfer case leak as well and The steering rack assembly replaced due to a PS leak. I'm just not real sure what to make of these issues. They were repaired but is that too many issues to buy the car?
Old 11-12-15, 07:53 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

All those new parts are just less to worry about down the road! I'd want to know if it was driven far when the oil line went. Could a Lexus dealer pull up the service ticket to see if the customer made any comments? Since it's been 17k miles, maybe it's ok...
Old 11-13-15, 03:42 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
All those new parts are just less to worry about down the road! I'd want to know if it was driven far when the oil line went. Could a Lexus dealer pull up the service ticket to see if the customer made any comments? Since it's been 17k miles, maybe it's ok...
That's what I wanted to do was find out the details of that particular incident re: the oil cooler line rupture but I could not get specifics. I even called the dealer it was towed to and that serviced it. There were 3 more service records after that. Service records stopped at 80k. Car currently sits with 90k
Old 11-13-15, 08:04 AM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me aslong as the engine is not knocking, I think its fine. These motors are built very well and should last you for a long time. I'm having issues with mine but its unrelated. How much are they asking for?

Old 11-13-15, 08:18 AM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, make sure to double check if its a AWD or a FWD. Too much assumption that they're always awd. When I bought mine, the dealer told me it had xm radio, not like I cared but they assume it had it, but it didn't.
Old 11-13-15, 06:47 PM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigboss
Also, make sure to double check if its a AWD or a FWD. Too much assumption that they're always awd. When I bought mine, the dealer told me it had xm radio, not like I cared but they assume it had it, but it didn't.

Well we took the leap of faith and came home with the RX tonight. No engine noise no smell from the engine etc. as quiet as can be. Actually sounds quieter than my ES and it's got less than a third of the miles. We gave 15,600 for it off a lot. The exterior is absolutely immaculate. Easily a 9.5 out of 10. Interior is nice also. I'd say 8/10. Ride is nice and quiet. Big boss-I believe this to be AWD it was advertised that way but how exactly can one tell? Let me know what you think. I appreciate the discussion and feedback. Above all I just hope this ends up being a nice solid car for my wife and kids for several years. She deserves it and is coming from an 07 Yaris sedan that she got cheap on and ordered with all manual features 😳
Old 11-13-15, 08:32 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plainview
Well we took the leap of faith and came home with the RX tonight. No engine noise no smell from the engine etc. as quiet as can be. Actually sounds quieter than my ES and it's got less than a third of the miles. We gave 15,600 for it off a lot. The exterior is absolutely immaculate. Easily a 9.5 out of 10. Interior is nice also. I'd say 8/10. Ride is nice and quiet. Big boss-I believe this to be AWD it was advertised that way but how exactly can one tell? Let me know what you think. I appreciate the discussion and feedback. Above all I just hope this ends up being a nice solid car for my wife and kids for several years. She deserves it and is coming from an 07 Yaris sedan that she got cheap on and ordered with all manual features ��
I believe the fourth letter of the VIN indicates 2wd or 4wd. Mine is an AWD and the fourth letter is "H". You can also check by looking under the car and see whether you have a rear differential.
Good luck with the car - sounds great!
Old 11-14-15, 02:17 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I believe the fourth letter of the VIN indicates 2wd or 4wd. Mine is an AWD and the fourth letter is "H". You can also check by looking under the car and see whether you have a rear differential.
Good luck with the car - sounds great!
Yeah, did some quick searching after that last post and was able to determine the car is in fact AWD and boy was I pleased. VIN ID showed this based on a 4th letter H. Started to get a little nervous because we (or should I say I) wanted AWD, the car was advertised as AWD but there was no definitive marker. Then I began to doubt the salesman/ car lots knowledge of the vehicle based on a previous post and the overall vibe I got from the business we purchased the car from. Huge Toyota lot but did not appear to have a lot of integrity, so Totally plausible scenario