RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Picked up an 07 RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 04:58 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Picked up an 07 RX

Hey guys, my family picked up a 2007 with about 150k on it. All maitenance has been performed at the dealer up to this point which is great. I have noticed two problems thus far:

-The rear power door will open all the way, but when it reaches the top it will close on its own again.

-The CD changer is dead I'm pretty sure. I did a quick google and I couldn't find a fix for it.

If you guys could help me out with either of those that'd be awesome. It is non-hid and non-nav, but I plan on doing a crazy retrofit on the headlights this winter. I never researched too much into this model since I am an ES guy, so I am trying to think of accessories I could put on that are still around. It is the Bamboo Pearl, which I knew had a few issues,. but the previous owner already had them repainted properly. This color is hard to do much with IMO. I know I want to get the chrome door handle covers as well.

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome
Old 11-01-15, 08:29 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

If you're planning on doing stuff to it, I would just ditch the CD changer and throw in a double DIN Nav unit, since you have a non-nav unit you wouldn't be giving up many or any features.

This car is a beast. it's helped us so much with two moves. may not be the most interesting car to drive but it's functional and reliable. make sure you get the VVT-I and oil pressure hoses checked out
Old 11-02-15, 12:50 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the forum, there a few posts about the rear door doing that. I think the fix was replacing the hatch struts.
Old 11-02-15, 08:49 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Megafast13, welcome to the RX side of the forum!

For your liftgate, you need new struts. That's a symptom of them starting to get weak. They are considered a wear and tear item. Fortunately, they aren't terribly expensive. At 150K miles, I would also check your hood strut. You may want to replace that as well at the same time.

For your CD changer, good luck finding one for a reasonable price. Salvage isn't a great option either, as very few of these cars are in salvage yards. I would get the Beat Sonic (I think they make it?) trim piece and put in an aftermarket double-din stereo. It will probably be cheaper, and you will gain functionality such as bluetooth and navigation if you so desire.
Old 11-02-15, 09:01 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, speaking of struts, at 150K, all 4 of your struts are likely shot. The OEM ones are crazy expensive. Lots of people here have replaced with Monroe, and are happy with it. The Monroes are on the soft side like the OEM ones are. Some here have replaced with KYB instead, and have reported that they are a bit firmer, but result in a little less body lean. It just depend on what you like. Personally, I would go with the Monroes, as the RX is no BMW, and is not going to handle like one without drastic suspension changes, but to each their own. I am at 158K, and I know all 4 of my struts are toast. I am planning on replacing with Monroe sometime soon.
Old 11-03-15, 08:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Ita the rear hatch strut. I got a pair on ebay for like $35 and they've been good for the past year. Simple to take off the old ones and install new ones, all you need is a flathead. as for the CD changer, I got nothing. Congrats
Old 12-08-15, 11:09 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice I am in love with it so far. It is easy to speed without knowing lol.

So eBay would be my best bet for the trunk struts. I figured that was the problem, just wanted to make sure the electronic lift gate system wasn't the problem. The weak struts seem to confuse my system if that makes sense. Yeah I will look into a double din option, not worth buying another old one.

Are any accessories still available for these reasonably priced or small things you would recommend purchasing. I see an rx in my area with a horizontal grille style but the only one I saw on eBay was Jdm going for big bucks.

Also forgot to mention the halogen lights on this are so bad lol or maybe I'm just too used to my retrofits. It is going to be priority one for me. You guys will love it. Going to make it look like a 2016 in that aspect. Hehe.

Last edited by Megafast13; 12-08-15 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 06:50 PM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Lift support is dead, just buy new one to replace them.

2. If you can live without it, i would just use a fm transmitter or cassette. otherwise ebay or junkyard, no point in buying a brand new one from factory.
Old 12-11-15, 11:51 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Megafast13

Also forgot to mention the halogen lights on this are so bad lol or maybe I'm just too used to my retrofits. It is going to be priority one for me. You guys will love it. Going to make it look like a 2016 in that aspect. Hehe.
Get an oil change at the dealer. They may replace your headlights for free if they are cloudy and have condensation - they will still not be hid though.