RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 05:38 PM
eyebike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Michelins with my 330. Not sure which ones j4ydubs got. But he sure feels they are effective in the white stuff. j4ydubs?
Old 12-03-03, 08:56 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by anonymous
I guess it depends on your tire. Mine came with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I've noticed that many of you received Michelin. The Blizzak WS 50 seem to be really good tires but I'm worried about the rapid tread wear I read from the reviews. I would want my winter tires to last 3-4 winter seasons.
The Blizzaks on my wife's previous car, an Audi A4, lasted 4 winter seasons and still had good tread left. It's the sticky outer layer multicell compound that wears pretty quickly, especially if driven on dry pavement in warmer temperatures. After this wears down the tire becomes an ordinary snow tire - still good on snow but not as grippy on ice.
Old 12-04-03, 10:18 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by eyebike
I got the Michelins with my 330. Not sure which ones j4ydubs got. But he sure feels they are effective in the white stuff. j4ydubs?
Michelins. Can't say how the Goodyears will do, but these Michelins and the 330's AWD do a great job in the snow. Haven't had a chance to try it out in the ice yet.

Reading my post again, I was little "enthusiastic" wasn't I? I was just suprised at how well it did. I was all set to buy some snow tires and exchange them durning the winter.

We're supposed to have some snow and sleet tonight and into the weekend (Philly). We never get snow this early - not a good sign. I'll report back.

John

Last edited by j4ydubs; 12-04-03 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-05-03, 10:48 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Snow already???

Short update.

We've got snow, snow, and more snow. Looks to be around 4-5 inches so far where I'm currently at (lower Bucks). We're supposed to be getting up to 14 inches by tommorrow night (I think it'll be more like 10) where I live (mid/upper Bucks).

It was just starting (maybe an inch or so) when we set out this morning. RX 330 did great. Accidents everywhere, cars and trucks in ditches, and the 330 just plowed right through. My wife was driving the 330 and I followed in the Durango. She made the comment that, except for a few spots that were iced over, she couldn't tell that the roads were snow covered. Durango did ok, but you could tell I needed new tires (which i just got install this afternoon - night and day difference). Nav in the 330 came in real handy to get us around the accidents - I just followed. I had to tell her to slow down a little durning the detours because I wasn't as confident in my tires as she was. She asked me if I wanted her to drive me to work. How's that for a slap in the face?

She's going to get the kids and head home now. I'll post again tomorrow when we get some more ****e stuff.

So far, I can't find fault with the RX 330 in snow. Anyone else get caught in this snow?

John
Old 12-05-03, 10:54 AM
eyebike
Driver

Glad to hear your RX330 performed well. We're getting your storm late tonight and Saturday as it moves up the coast. Up to a foot too. Thanks for your comments. Will let everybody know how I did too.
Old 12-06-03, 07:15 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default RX 330 in Snow (Pic)

Here's a picture of our RX330 playing in the snow. This is my driveway just before I cleared it (for the second time). I didn't measure, but it's probably 5-6 inches. We got about 10 inches total, but I had cleared the drive way once already (which I'm glad I did).

The 330 had no problems with anything I threw at at. Took it out tonight and found a hill that cars were having alot of trouble with (plowed once, but then covered again). Rode up it easily.

RX330 in snow

John
Old 12-06-03, 11:09 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Nice photo! It sure is reassuring to know that a little snowstorm isn't going to stop you from going where you have to go, eh?
Old 12-07-03, 12:45 PM
eyebike
Driver

I drove the RX330 with 18" Michelins in the snow yesterday. There was about 5 inches on the ground with layer of packed snow on the road. RX handled decently and was able to accelerate well travelling straight ahead. However, when stops at the intersections were long. Going around curves, I could feel car slip and slide a bit, so I had to take them more cautiously. Going down a slight hill slowly and trying make a left turn was scary. Car slid through the turn and almost ended up in the snow bank on the far left corner.

However, retracing the same route a few minutes later in a 4x4 Jeep Liberty and all-terrain tires, no problems at all. I think while the AWD and traction control is fine, the RX is only a fair handler with the present tires. Snow tires may be the way to go if you live in an area with a fair amount of snow.
Old 12-07-03, 03:40 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

RX330 here with 18's (OEM Michelins) in blizzard like conditions Saturday morning and the RX330 performed beautifuly. I was pleasantly surprised and love this vehicle even more.

I felt, safe and secure driving through snow and did not feel any slipping or sliding (of course you still have to drive carefully and not like maniac out there).

Snow tires are still the best in snow, but I'm not yet convinced that I need to get them, since the RX330 with 18's performed very well in this first NJ snowfall.
Old 12-07-03, 06:03 PM
eyebike
Driver

I drove the RX330 with 18" Michelins in the snow yesterday. There was about 5 inches on the ground with layer of packed snow on the road. RX handled decently and was able to accelerate well travelling straight ahead. However, when stops at the intersections were long. Going around curves, I could feel car slip and slide a bit, so I had to take them more cautiously. Going down a slight hill slowly and trying make a left turn was scary. Car slid through the turn and almost ended up in the snow bank on the far left corner.

However, retracing the same route a few minutes later in a 4x4 Jeep Liberty and all-terrain tires, no problems at all. I think while the AWD and traction control is fine, the RX is only a fair handler with the present tires. Snow tires may be the way to go if you live in an area with a fair amount of snow.
Old 12-08-03, 09:10 PM
04rx330
Driver School Candidate

While driving the Rx 330 with the standard 18 " Michelin Tires in the snow / ice , I feel the vehicle took a much longer distance to stop than I felt comfortable with. Also, driving down a hill and making a slight turn to the right, the vehicle would slide and it would beep.

I went ahead and purchased the Blizzak WS50 tires and had them installed this past weekend as my wife told me she did not feel confortable driving the Rx with the standard tires in the snow. With the snow we received today, Rx handled amazingly. Going down the same hill at a greater speed, the car never slid or beeped. I found it very difficult just to get the car to beep again. Also, applying the same amount of brake pressure, the ABS would kick in with the standard tires, but not with the Blizzak tires.

I had a Grand Cherokee before the Rx and also drive an A4 and felt the Rx with the standard tires did not have the traction we were used to. Anyway, the Rx still handles good in the snow with the standard tires, but I feel the snow tires make a huge difference and would recommend them for their added traction in the snow / ice.
Old 12-09-03, 11:52 AM
JRB
Pole Position

Default 04RX330

Totally agree - we have the Blizzaks on both my wife's RX330 and my FX45. They make driving in the snow almost fun! On the way to work today, I saw 3 vehicles in the ditch - bet it wasn't very much fun for them...starting last evening and through today we are getting 4-7 inches, and I am actually looking forward to the drive home - is that sick or what?

Seriously, if everyone put on good winter tires around here, the traffic snarls at rush hour wouldn't be nearly as bad as they are. During our first snowstorm a few weeks ago, there were a reported 400 crashes in the metropolitan area - wonder how many fewer there would have been if everyone had been driving on Blizzaks.
Old 12-16-03, 10:04 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin crossterrains are wonderful. No problems in deep snow like j4ydubs picture. these are wonderful vs. the OEM bridgestones that I had last year!

I wish my GS4 could compare.