RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 11:34 PM
snydertalo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Locks

Lets say, hypothetically, I lost the key to my wheel locks, does anyone know of a place I can get one without having to go to the $tealership? Also, I will probably try to pick up 4 regular lug nuts as well. I checked the sales threads and the last time someone was selling a set was 8 months ago.

This could not have happened at a worse time. I need to figure out the cause of my belt chirp so that I can replace the correct part because of up coming life changes and other fun, adult stuff. I cannot check any of the bearings without removing the belt. To remove the belt, I need to remove my wheel.

Thank you for your help.

2007 RX 350
Old 08-05-15, 02:43 AM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the factory wheel and lock? If it is you would have to go to dealership to get the key. Unless you break the locks off and buy new locks and key but make sure if it's the factory wheel you would have to buy the shank style lug/lock
Old 08-05-15, 08:05 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snydertalo
Lets say, hypothetically, I lost the key to my wheel locks, does anyone know of a place I can get one without having to go to the $tealership? Also, I will probably try to pick up 4 regular lug nuts as well. I checked the sales threads and the last time someone was selling a set was 8 months ago.

This could not have happened at a worse time. I need to figure out the cause of my belt chirp so that I can replace the correct part because of up coming life changes and other fun, adult stuff. I cannot check any of the bearings without removing the belt. To remove the belt, I need to remove my wheel.

Thank you for your help.

2007 RX 350
You can buy the wheel key direct from McGuard, see if you have the code sheet in your glove box. It will take about a week.

The 4 dollar lug nuts at Autozone seem like good quality.
Old 08-05-15, 09:17 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by Jgmonkey
Is it the factory wheel and lock? If it is you would have to go to dealership to get the key. Unless you break the locks off and buy new locks and key but make sure if it's the factory wheel you would have to buy the shank style lug/lock
I am really struggling with how to respond to your post. Maybe it is because I just woke up, I dunno, but I can find little to nothing helpful about it. I specifically asked for a non-dealership solution. Other forums have techs who work at Lexus and they throw the keys away so the techs take them and sell them in the forums. I didn't want to make a new account on a new......you know what, I don't know if I need to explain my lack of interest in going to the dealer. It was simply a parameter you ignored. Next, you do not have to break them off. This is awful advice. Here is a video of a guy removing them and re-using them:
I would be super pissed if I broke them off, on your advice, and then found out I did not need to destroy them. Also, breaking them is not the same thing as getting a new key. Again, ignored the request that I get a replacement key.

Admittedly I have no idea what a shank style lug is, but I will keep that in mind when I go to look for new ones. I appreciate this input.

Originally Posted by coluccim
You can buy the wheel key direct from McGuard, see if you have the code sheet in your glove box. It will take about a week.

The 4 dollar lug nuts at Autozone seem like good quality.
Thank's a bunch. I found the card (I'm glad the previous owner did a better job of keeping their stuff than I did) and got an order placed with McGard. I am going to be upset at myself if I have to pay $15 every time I want to remove a tire. What kills me is that I have a place for everything and put everything in its place. Situations like this are a lot more inconvenient than having to clean up after myself like an adult.
Old 08-05-15, 12:40 PM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sorry for the poor imput I gave. That was the only way I knew. I guess I'm not as intelligent as you are. So again sorry
Old 08-05-15, 09:51 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I use that kind of emergency lug nut remover to loose all key nuts and replace with regular ones, it works like a charm with a impact wrench!

Tapered 13/16"

Last edited by 5W40; 08-06-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 06:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have the unfortunate-fortunate experience of losing my wheel lock key on my RX.

Easily found out that with a picture of your lock, McGard will sent it to you for about $17.

Also know that there are only 7 versions of the locks. I found out when my friend Lexus Tech brought home the masters set for McGard. Yes only 7 versions! I bet this fact will invite comments.

Lesson learned, I have removed the locks to my RX and SC.
Old 08-06-15, 08:15 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have the unfortunate-fortunate experience of losing my wheel lock key on my RX.

Easily found out that with a picture of your lock, McGard will sent it to you for about $17.

Also know that there are only 7 versions of the locks. I found out when my friend Lexus Tech brought home the masters set for McGard. Yes only 7 versions! I bet this fact will invite comments.

Lesson learned, I have removed the locks to my RX and SC.
I think it is lost on me about only 7 versions of the locks. When I called them yesterday, they had to do some BS look up of my code to make sure it fit the right one. It seemed like there were a lot of different versions. I told the guy I found their part-picker and it told me that for the RX I needed the 24157 (
Amazon.com: McGard 24157 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4: Automotive Amazon.com: McGard 24157 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4: Automotive
). He told me that that was not true because OEM is different than their aftermarket ones. So 1) I am going to be pretty annoyed if he flat out lied to me and the 24157 would have fit. 2) I do not know if 7 is a lot or few.
Old 08-06-15, 09:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Nobody knows there are only 7 versions for Toyota and Lexus. Other brands have different locks, say 7 versions as well. The probability of using 1 key randomly selected to unlock a Lexus-Toyota successfully is almost nil.

Also you cannot even get the master keys from McGARD. They are restricted and you have to be bonded to have a set, like a Locksmith, in this case a dealer.