RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Low oil light on RX, easy to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 11:00 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low oil light on RX, easy to repair?

Hello!

Please help me out with this. I have a Low Oil Pressure warning light on.

When it first came on, I stopped and check the oil level. It was low. I had to replace the oil 2 or 3 months ago, but then I had na accident (rollover) and just this past week i received the car and forgot to replace the oil. So that's what i did. Replaced the oil and filter.

The lights still comes on after driking about 3 or 4 miles. It starts by comingo On and OFF a few times. Sometimes just blinking, than it stays ON untill I shut of the engine. Anyone knows what it could be?

NOTE: after the referred rollover, the engine shut off, but I turned it on less than 30 seconds after this (I know I shouldn't have done that, but for me it was either that or being pictured and posted on facebook. I do some public work in which the image count and also, I'm shy. So I took the risk.) and drove for about a mile. Do you know if that would damage the engine or oil pump in 132,000 miles RX330?

P.S. I checked and found this error code P0346 (Camshaft position sensor). Would it be related?
Old 08-03-15, 02:26 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Default Did I kill my RX?

A couple of weeks ago I had the Low Oil Pressure light on. Mechanic checked and said I had to change engine oil and filter and see if the light comes on again. For the next days, it did not come on. I even did two 30 miles trips without the light coming on.

Yesterday I was driving when the light came on and when I was about to stop the car the engine shut off. I started it again after some minutes and I heard noise from the engine. I called the mechanic and he said to drive very slowly to the nearest place where I could leave the car overnight. Right when I was getting there, the noise increased.

When I got home, looked on the internet and found out it was a mistake to drive the car.

The mechanic says it could be a very expensive repair or just the oil pump that is making noise. What do you think?

It is said around here that the RX330 does not have much sludge problems, but could it be that a recent rollover caused this problem? Or a long trip I did before the accident?

Please give me your opinions.
Old 08-04-15, 05:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This doesn't sound good at all. If you have a check engine oil light the car should be stopped immediately and a tow truck called. Since the car was driven the engine was most likely damaged. Here is the states replacing an engine is very expensive and a rollover accident usually results in the car going to the junk yard. I realize that things are different in Angola, but I also question if the mechanics there really know how to service and repair a second generation Lexus RX330 properly, especially considering the advice to keep driving when the check engine oil light in on.
Old 08-05-15, 07:59 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking no one cared. And, yes, I'm afraid I have a damaged engine. Does anyone know what kind of damage usually happens in these cases? What would be the simplest things to check and then what next. Like, start checking from the bottom or from the top? Crankshaft? Camshaft? Rod bearings? Mechanics here use to look for damages almost at random, so if I can help them with your information, that would be good.

here in Angola, if a car is damaged, it's up to the owner to decide if he sells, keeps or junks it. There is no trade or write off. I tried to give it a second chance after the rollover, but it was not good. Friends use to say that I love my car too much. And it's true. I invested a lot of time and money improving it, so I would really like to try to repair the same engine. Do you think it's worthwhile?

Do you think it's possible to repair this engine?

And yes, most mechs we have here don't help much. That's why I love ClubLexus and it's community. That's why I think I did a big mistake relying on the mechanic. i wish I had looked up on net instead of calling my brother in law (the mechanic).

Originally Posted by Rainbird
This doesn't sound good at all. If you have a check engine oil light the car should be stopped immediately and a tow truck called. Since the car was driven the engine was most likely damaged. Here is the states replacing an engine is very expensive and a rollover accident usually results in the car going to the junk yard. I realize that things are different in Angola, but I also question if the mechanics there really know how to service and repair a second generation Lexus RX330 properly, especially considering the advice to keep driving when the check engine oil light in on.
Old 08-05-15, 08:15 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Default Is the RX330 engine much difficult to repair?

Hi! Let's say a mechanic is good at repairing engines from Rav4, Hilux and Pagero. And let's say a 3Mz engine was damaged by Low oil Pressure (bad pump or sludge after a rollover). Is it much more difficult to repair this engine by the same mechanic?

Please, help!

Thank you!
Old 08-10-15, 10:16 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

OK! Mechanic dropped the oil pan and found the oil pump filter clogged and metal shining in the pan. I always checked drained oil for signs of metal, but guess it was not enough. Also, one of the rods was clunking and, yes, a bearing is too bad. He said replacing this one bearing and cleaning the oil strainer will solve my problem. What are your thoughts here? In case anyone bothers.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-15, 10:26 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Oil strainer

Pan

Old 08-10-15, 10:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I would check the crankshaft for damage. Chances are, it's scored and may need replacing. If you're lucky, it might just be okay with some polishing. I doubt it though, judging by the way those bearings look.
Old 08-10-15, 11:51 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

do you think you might be able to find a used engine instead?
Old 08-11-15, 06:02 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Agreed, time for rebuilt or used engine. That one is toast. And make sure to always use full synthetic oil and change pcv valve.
Old 08-11-15, 07:56 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Thanks for your advice!

Finding a used engine will be very difficult here. And hey, I started using full synthetic oil from my first oil change in this car. I think most of the damage was already done by some other owner before, as I put only about 15k miles. Bought it used with about 115k miles. Do you mean that I should have changed the pcv valve every oil change?

Also, if we replace the bearings and there is no noise, does it mean there is some hope? Or should we just start rebuilding the engine? I ask this because two mechanics I trust insist that just replacing the bearings will work. I told them I need some time to think.

Last edited by Eliaquim; 08-11-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 01:41 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

well....I would say give it a try....

bearings cost less than engine rebuilt/used engine....

like GSteg said....you might have other damages that you did not see yet...
Old 08-12-15, 07:24 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

OK! I think I will try the bearings and, for more piece of mind, buy a used engine in January, when I'm off from work and can travel. If not, I will let go and buy another car.

Originally Posted by kickin8
well....I would say give it a try....

bearings cost less than engine rebuilt/used engine....

like GSteg said....you might have other damages that you did not see yet...

Last edited by Eliaquim; 08-12-15 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 01:37 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That crank shaft has to be junk by the look of the bearings . Did it spin any bearings in the block [main bearings ] if so the block is done also or at least needs machine work to repair . Putting bearings on a crank shaft like that is a waste of time and money . Have a machine shop machine the crank and get bearing to fit . You would have to get all pieces of metal out of the engine or as soon as it runs any bits of metal will wipe out those new bearings . Complete rebuild or used engine .
Old 08-13-15, 04:02 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Yeah, guess that's the best route. I will also look for another mechanic, because the ones I know insist that the crankshaft is OK! My plan is to get another car for me, wait until I can get a used engine, which will take time. Was just told yesterday that I can't even import used parts. Stupid laws. Will check with DHL or FedEx if they have shipment buy ship from the USA.

OR, do you know if it is possible to replace this engine with one from a Toyota Camry?. They sell for cheap here.

Thank you all for taking the time to help!

Originally Posted by Barry2522
That crank shaft has to be junk by the look of the bearings . Did it spin any bearings in the block [main bearings ] if so the block is done also or at least needs machine work to repair . Putting bearings on a crank shaft like that is a waste of time and money . Have a machine shop machine the crank and get bearing to fit . You would have to get all pieces of metal out of the engine or as soon as it runs any bits of metal will wipe out those new bearings . Complete rebuild or used engine .

Quick Reply: Low oil light on RX, easy to repair?