RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Used RXs with 76,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 09:12 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used RXs with 76,000 miles

First time looking to buy a Lexus, for local driving, about 7,500 miles a year, a couple of empty nesters living in the Northeast. We figure on buying a used RX under $20K, we are value conscious, and have been looking for months at dealer listings within 75 miles of our house. I have never bought a car with this many miles on it, and want to make sure of "true" cost of buying either of these cars, given anticipated maintenance requirements of a car that won't be garaged in Northeast winters, but will be needed for low mileage driving:

I need advice on anticipated maintenance on RXs with 76K miles. I have an opportunity to buy either of the following:
1. RX 330 (2004), only 76,200 miles, one prior owner. Clean condition, just a few scratches on exterior. Will need new tires in next 10K miles, but what about timing belt, brake bads, rotors, filters, etc.? This car is being offered at $11,900 by a Land Rover dealer who took the car in on trade a month ago. One price drop already.

2. RX350 (2008), 76,724 miles, one prior owner. Again, what will be the anticipated maintenance costs of this car? It's being offered by a reputable Lexus dealer here at $17,000. They took it in on trade about four weeks ago. No price drops yet.

Also, given that both cars are of same RX generation, and have same miles, would it be a better deal to buy a 2004 car which is in clean condition? I figure the tires are an $850 item, and I might be able to negotiate a reduction in price based on that. According to Edmunds, the appraised value of the 2008 is closer to $16,250, so there may be room to reduce that price as well. Any thoughts from the Club are welcome!! I know there are definitely some major repairs coming at around 125,00 miles (axles, etc.)...which I'd like to confirm as well with you! Thanks!!
Old 07-08-15, 10:35 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are numerous threads here on CL about buying a used RX and what to look out for. I did a quick search and found these three:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...004-rx330.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...the-costs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...econd-gen.html
Old 07-08-15, 02:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

think the price on 2004 RX330 is too high.....under $10k for sure. Timing belt due because of age.
the rx350 is great car, no timing belt either. Make sure all Recalls have been done. especially the oil line one.
Old 07-08-15, 02:58 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Are both of them AWD? With Nav?

2007+ (350s) are using timing chain and more power vs 330s
Old 07-08-15, 04:59 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

If both cars has the same exact options, I would take the RX350 over the RX330 for the additional power and no timing belt to deal with.

On the RX350, check for any water pump leak, my wife's 08 with 96K miles leaked and created rattling noise from loose pump bearing. More than $500 to replace the water pump, thermostat and serpentine belt.
Also check for Valve cover leak, ours is seeping but livable since it is not dripping oil, so we will wait until 120K when we change the plugs and three rear ignition coils while we are at it.
Old 07-08-15, 05:19 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Our 2007 RX350 recently rolled 92k miles. Outside of routine fluid changes, here are the expendables: brake pads & rotors twice, battery twice, tires twice, serpentine belt once. As for repairs: around 80k the steering rack started leaking, a TPMS sensor died, and the ignition lock tumbler needed replacing; around 90k a vvti oil line started leaking, the water pump started leaking, and the front lower control arm bushings started splitting. My $1400 extended CPO warranty just expired so all of the repairs and a loaner were covered by that. I would've been seriously dissatisfied if I had to pay for all that out of pocket. I'm hoping the next 50k miles will be uneventful.
Old 07-09-15, 07:00 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
Are both of them AWD? With Nav?

Yes, both are AWD, both have NAV. I am retaining LemonSquad to go there and check it out.
2007+ (350s) are using timing chain and more power vs 330s
OK, thanks. Anything else?
Old 07-09-15, 07:08 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Originally Posted by thomas1
think the price on 2004 RX330 is too high.....under $10k for sure. Timing belt due because of age.
the rx350 is great car, no timing belt either. Make sure all Recalls have been done. especially the oil line one.
The price for 2004 is not under 10K, in fact, it's not even under 11K. With my budget, it's been unreal to see how a 2006 RX 330 with 124K miles (clean car, one prior owner) was being sold by a Toyota dealer for $10K. I'm going to hire LemonSquad to look at the car today and report on timing belt and water pump. The prior owner's CarFax report showed low mileage and semi-annual checkups with Lexus dealers. Front and back brakepads were replaced. I'm just thinking of how to negotiate price if I want Land Rover dealer to put on 4 Michilen Defender XTs, and replace timing belt at this point..
Old 07-09-15, 08:00 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If someone says you shouldn't pay over a certain price ask them if they have one for you at that price; they never do. The car is worth whatever your circumstances dictate. Availability, timing, options, color, condition, whatever mama wants, all these things determine the value of the car to you.

The dealer always has a choice on a trade in, either wholesale it or fluff it up and put it on the lot. It may be on the lot because it's a nice clean car or it may be there because it' previous owner beat the hell out of them on trade in and they are stuck with it. If it's the latter then your negotiations will be less successful.

Let's say tires and belt would cost the dealer 1000-1500, around 10 percent of the asking price, sounds reasonable but if they simply won't do all or any you still have to decide if that's the right car based on the above criteria. If that car ticks all the boxes then maybe it's worth the 1500 to end the search, if it isn't then move on to the next one.
Old 07-10-15, 06:25 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drivemycar
OK, thanks. Anything else?
I realize this may be outside of your 75 mile scope, however as an example, this shows that you can pick up a 3rd generation in your price range,

http://www.lexusoflehighvalley.com/V...-PA/2554375473

Miles are right, AWD. No NAV and no HID it seems. But IMO, worth spending a few thousand more to get (for now) the current generation. Especially if you expect to keep it a number of years.
Old 07-12-15, 07:52 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Also, given that both cars are of same RX generation, and have same miles, would it be a better deal to buy a 2004 car which is in clean condition?
All depends one the specific condition of the vehicle. You can use generation, year and miles as a starting point but the final decision needs to be based on a proper inspection. An inspection can potentially uncover dealbreakers.

Originally Posted by justin1203
But IMO, worth spending a few thousand more to get (for now) the current generation.
It would help the OP to understand why you think it's worth spending more for the current generation. I'd have no reservations picking up a 2nd gen in good shape. If making recommendations you need to consider the person you're giving the recommendation. Given that the OP says:
we are value conscious
What additional value do you see in purchasing a 3rd gen at a higher price?

Originally Posted by Carver
If someone says you shouldn't pay over a certain price ask them if they have one for you at that price; they never do. The car is worth whatever your circumstances dictate. Availability, timing, options, color, condition, whatever mama wants, all these things determine the value of the car to you.
This. Pricing and what they sell for can and does vary by market as well.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-12-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 11:30 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

The price for 2004 is not under 10K, in fact, it's not even under 11K. With my budget, it's been unreal to see how a 2006 RX 330 with 124K miles (clean car, one prior owner) was being sold by a Toyota dealer for $10K. I'm going to hire LemonSquad to look at the car today and report on timing belt and water pump. The prior owner's CarFax report showed low mileage and semi-annual checkups with Lexus dealers. Front and back brakepads were replaced. I'm just thinking of how to negotiate price if I want Land Rover dealer to put on 4 Michilen Defender XTs, and replace timing belt at this point..
I'll be selling my one-owner 2007 RX350 (48K miles, garaged, all synthetic oil changes, nearly new tires, brakes, rotors, no kids, no food in the car, no smokers, etc.) soon after the 2016's come out. But I'm sure you don't want to wait that long. It has been a great car!

Last edited by sderman; 07-17-15 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-15, 11:42 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

2005 RX330 with 130K miles, one owner, no timing belt service, no accidents, no navigation, not AWD.
Sold this car 8 weeks ago for $10,500 in 3 days.
Old 07-18-15, 08:29 AM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
2005 RX330 with 130K miles, one owner, no timing belt service, no accidents, no navigation, not AWD.
Sold this car 8 weeks ago for $10,500 in 3 days.
Thats about what they go for around here. I paid 11K for 2004 with 90K miles. AWD, black interior, black exterior.
Old 07-20-15, 04:43 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

If you live in a place where there are winters,snow, ice, salt, make sure the vehicle has been RUSTPROOFED every year. If not, walk away...

Quick Reply: Used RXs with 76,000 miles