RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear brake rotor won't come off

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 03:58 PM
Mainah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
a brake shoe might be hung on the inner lip of the rotor. Through the service hole you can adjust the shoes to be tightened (expanding outwards to the rotor) or loosened (inwards towards the hub) You'll have to do some experimenting of which direction to rotate the spinning mechanism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just wanted to thank you for this diagram, fastnoypi. It solved 1/2 of my problem because I was turning the star nut the wrong way on one rotor assembly, Ha.
The other 1/2 of my problem is that the other side of the car has the same problem but the 'mechanic' that did the brakes last September didn't put the rotor on so the access hole lined up with the hole in the hub. I can't get to the star nut to loosen the parking brake shoes. The rotor is caught on the shoes. Not rusted on, but caught up.
Any thoughts, folks? (Yup, if I can't do it myself, I'm taking it back to the mechanic)
The following users liked this post:
prech (01-09-20)
Old 09-04-15, 01:07 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainah
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just wanted to thank you for this diagram, fastnoypi. It solved 1/2 of my problem because I was turning the star nut the wrong way on one rotor assembly, Ha.
The other 1/2 of my problem is that the other side of the car has the same problem but the 'mechanic' that did the brakes last September didn't put the rotor on so the access hole lined up with the hole in the hub. I can't get to the star nut to loosen the parking brake shoes. The rotor is caught on the shoes. Not rusted on, but caught up.
Any thoughts, folks? (Yup, if I can't do it myself, I'm taking it back to the mechanic)
Have you tried jacking the rear up onto jack stands and spin the rotor till the access hole lines up?
The following users liked this post:
prech (01-09-20)
Old 09-04-15, 02:55 PM
Mainah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when the mechanic put the rotor on, he blocked the access hole.
I did finally get it done by pulling the whole lot out as best as possible then accessing the star-nut from the back (my dust shields are long gone from rust/rot, giving me access). A 30 second job took two hours.
Old 09-04-15, 03:11 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Mainah
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when the mechanic put the rotor on, he blocked the access hole.
I did finally get it done by pulling the whole lot out as best as possible then accessing the star-nut from the back (my dust shields are long gone from rust/rot, giving me access). A 30 second job took two hours.
glad you got it figured out. Good way to take a negative (rust) and turn it into a positive
Old 09-07-15, 02:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The 3rd GEN does not have the drums anymore. This picyure applies to the 2nd GEN, am I right?
Old 09-07-15, 05:29 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The 3rd GEN does not have the drums anymore. This picyure applies to the 2nd GEN, am I right?
it should apply to the 3rd gen too. The parking brake in the RX350 still utilizes drum shoes as shown in the catalogs.

ex: http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ey_model=15678
Old 03-25-23, 03:22 PM
jwebster19
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the EXACT same issue. Here is the quick and easy fix.

What I found once I got the drum off was this:
The adjuster had "adjusted" itself out over the years.
The threads were caked up so much that when I was Closing down the adjuster it stopped and I assumed it was closed or adjusted in as far as it could go.
But it wasn't.
Had I been able to see this, I would have stuck the brake cleaner straw in there and blasted away the caked up brake dust out of the threads and then continued closing the adjuster.
Then the hub would have come right off very easily.
I wish I had someone tell me this, but my solution was to force the hub off with very long metric jack bolts and broke apart the clips holding the shoes in place.GRRRRR.
Old 03-27-23, 04:27 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jwebster19
I had the EXACT same issue. Here is the quick and easy fix.

I wish I had someone tell me this, but my solution was to force the hub off with very long metric jack bolts and broke apart the clips holding the shoes in place.GRRRRR.
Thats a bummer, but forcing it would have told you somethings up w/ it. As you see the rotor also contains a drum hat...