RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX350 Serpentine Replacement - Anyone Tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 03:30 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 RX350 Serpentine Replacement - Anyone Tried it?

My car is now over 100K and I believe the belt was never changed (I bought it at 90K) ... I found the below link on how to do it. Looks straight forward ... Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if the they could add to the below instructions. Thanks!

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...ne-belt-366262
The following users liked this post:
tawm (08-28-22)
Old 05-31-15, 05:32 PM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it's straight forward...the link has pretty much everything you need. I took a couple of pictures of the belt layout just in case and the job took about an hour. If i have to do it again it'll take about 15mins.
Old 05-31-15, 05:53 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Sweet ... Thanks!
Old 06-01-15, 11:07 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasfx10
My car is now over 100K and I believe the belt was never changed (I bought it at 90K) ... I found the below link on how to do it. Looks straight forward ... Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if the they could add to the below instructions. Thanks!

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...ne-belt-366262
Did mine on the 2007 this past weekend.

There is an additional pulley to the left missing from the first photo.

2007 RX350 Serpentine Replacement - Anyone Tried it?-29845.jpg

If you have skinny hands it could take you as little as 5 minutes to change - with a cold engine.

It took me about a 1/2 hour.
Old 06-01-15, 01:13 PM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Default This is the correct diagram for the 2007...

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX350 Serpentine Replacement - Anyone Tried it?-29526.png  
JMW (12-19-22)
Old 06-03-15, 07:09 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your tips! I am going to try it tomorrow.
Old 06-04-15, 06:48 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

As for tips...

I found it easiest to go over the water pump pulley first, the "vane pump" second and then back to the top right and around finishing at the tensioner.

A 14mm ratchet won't fit for releasing the tensioner - you will need a box end wrench - the longer the better.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-15, 10:42 AM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Just finished putting this on ... took less than 2 hours and that is because I had to draw out the belt map. Coluccim map is the most accurate.

I still went ahead and made a belt loop diagram and took some pics ... It looks a little daunting at first and I almost did not do it but once I loosened the tension-er the belt came off no problem. At that point there was no turning back. I started from the top and worked my way to the bottom. Took less than 10 minutes to put the belt on and I did refer to my drawing a few times as well ...

A couple quick notes ... You will need a flat wrench (14 mm I believe) ... You cannot use a socket on it with a ratchet ... Not enough room. Also ... Make sure you have plenty of lighting. I had my office light which worked well.

Last edited by thomasfx10; 06-04-15 at 10:46 AM.
JMW (12-19-22)
Old 06-04-15, 10:48 AM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coluccim
As for tips...

I found it easiest to go over the water pump pulley first, the "vane pump" second and then back to the top right and around finishing at the tensioner.

A 14mm ratchet won't fit for releasing the tensioner - you will need a box end wrench - the longer the better.

Good luck!
Found out the hard way ... I am glad I had a boxed end wrench. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-04-15, 10:55 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomasfx10
Found out the hard way ... I am glad I had a boxed end wrench. Thanks for the post.
Good job!

Yes, the photos in the write up are missing the idler and power steering pulley (vane pump?) to the left.

Mine looked like the second diagram I posted, just more compact from left to right.
Old 06-22-15, 08:12 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just did this on my wife's RX350 this weekend, the pic really helped, thanks!
JMW (12-19-22)
Old 06-29-15, 03:56 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great DIY! Regarding the DIY link on the OP's first post, I have a question regarding the "5mm bi-hexagon wrench". Is this the same as an Allen key? What is the purpose of this wrench? Does it keep the tension loose, so that one can remove and replace the belt?

Also, what brand belt is everyone using? I'm thinking about using the gator back belt.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-30-15, 06:44 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CPMD
Great DIY! Regarding the DIY link on the OP's first post, I have a question regarding the "5mm bi-hexagon wrench". Is this the same as an Allen key? What is the purpose of this wrench? Does it keep the tension loose, so that one can remove and replace the belt?

Also, what brand belt is everyone using? I'm thinking about using the gator back belt.

Thanks guys.
Once you release the tension on the belt, the Allen key (yes, Allen key) keeps the tensioner from retracting. You'll understand when you get in there.

I used an Autozone bought belt - something marketed with "W" shaped ribs or some other nonsense. I am sure any belt will be fine.
Old 06-30-15, 10:10 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coluccim
Once you release the tension on the belt, the Allen key (yes, Allen key) keeps the tensioner from retracting. You'll understand when you get in there.

I used an Autozone bought belt - something marketed with "W" shaped ribs or some other nonsense. I am sure any belt will be fine.
Thanks. I've changed the serpentine belt in my gs, and that didn't have this tensioner locking mechanism, so it's a new concept for me.

I'm trying to visualize this before doing this in a few days. When installing the belt, do you attach the belt at the a/c compression, generator, and idler from the same passenger wheel well area, or from the engine bay? I've read your comment and will start at the water pump pulley first.

Since I'm ordering some other oem parts for my GS, I'll just get the oem belt.

The serpentine belt change on my GS 300 is a joke compared to this. There is direct access from the front of the car. There is no need to jack the car up, remove the tire, and maneuver in tight spaces.
Old 06-30-15, 02:07 PM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CPMD
Thanks. I've changed the serpentine belt in my gs, and that didn't have this tensioner locking mechanism, so it's a new concept for me.

I'm trying to visualize this before doing this in a few days. When installing the belt, do you attach the belt at the a/c compression, generator, and idler from the same passenger wheel well area, or from the engine bay? I've read your comment and will start at the water pump pulley first.

Since I'm ordering some other oem parts for my GS, I'll just get the oem belt.

The serpentine belt change on my GS 300 is a joke compared to this. There is direct access from the front of the car. There is no need to jack the car up, remove the tire, and maneuver in tight spaces.
When you move the tensioner there is a hole at the bottom of it that lines up with another hole. You slip the Allen key through so that the tensioner wont retract. It doesn't have to be a 5mm Allen key or any Allen key for that matter - it just has to be smaller than 5mm. You can see the hole about 2 inches down from the tensioner in the first color photo I posted above.

Most of the work will be done through the wheel well.

Last edited by coluccim; 06-30-15 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 RX350 Serpentine Replacement - Anyone Tried it?