RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Radiator replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 11:55 AM
wadleyg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator replacement question

I have a 2007 RX 350 with towing package. I was out of town and my wife was at AutoZone getting a new battery. In the process of installing the battery the guy broke the nipple off the radiator. They replaced the radiator for free which was fine, but my one concern is the transmission cooler. The one they replaced it with has the transmission cooler included. Here is the link to the radiator they used. YOu can see the transmission cooler built in on the right.
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...-3-5l-sfi-dohc.

But it got me wondering if this is really equivalent to what I had. I took it to my Lexus dealer and they were pretty clueless. They said they hardly ever see one with AWD with the towing package and they thought this one looked the same, but they weren't 100%.

Anyone that has worked on these, please comment. I am in the process of buying a boat that will weigh about 3000lbs dry and I want to make sure I'm good. My tows will be < 100 miles over flat as I live in Texas so I won't put a lot of pressure on the tranny. Trailer has brakes as well.

thx,
Greg
Old 05-30-15, 12:09 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I would've had them replace with a genuine Lexus radiator not an Autozone brand. Some of their parts are not of good quality.
Old 05-30-15, 12:51 PM
wadleyg
Driver School Candidate

Yes, certainly should have. But as it is now, need to know if this is the same transmission cooler equivalent. I was out of town. Wife did it so I don't want to ask for them to replace it with Lexus unless it's needed. I'm not a jerk, but do want equivalent at minimum. Would prefer mechanic opinion. I was surprised my Lexus dealer was clueless on this.
Old 05-31-15, 07:02 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Trans. cooler on a tow package might be a separate piece. Believe all auto shift cars had/have a cooler built into the radiator. When extra cooling is needed a separate cooler is/can be added.
Get on-line & look at the parts suppliers exploded view drawings.

Be careful towing a boat that heavy. Cooler or not, yours trans. won't like it.
They'll do it for a while then just "stop".
My Sea Ray is 3500 lbs. empty. Add +/- 1200 lbs. for the trailer, 50 gals. fuel, 10 gals. water & all the "stuff" we bring in the boat such as refreshments, cooler etc. I'm close to 5000 lbs all in.
Deduct from towing capacity the weight of driver & passengers in the RX + any gear you bring with you.
I use my F150 4 X 4 with a 5.0 & max tow package to haul the boat anywhere.
Old 05-31-15, 09:23 AM
wadleyg
Driver School Candidate

Steve, thanks for the post.

I should have been more specific. Boat dry weight is 2350 and trailer around 600. So total is 3000lbs with trailer. I'm in Texas so no real hills to climb so I'm thinking this is within limits. Add gas and skis and you would be around 3200lbs.

I looked at the exploded diagram, but hard to make out. So if the trans cooler is extra, then it should all be fine as they didn't remove any parts. I think I'll take it another Lexus just to make sure. I was surprised the one I usually go to was so clueless. They said they rarely see an AWD with towing package. I thought all the ones with AWD pretty much got the towing from the factory.
Old 05-31-15, 09:57 AM
wadleyg
Driver School Candidate

Other question. Is the transmission cooler with the tow prep a separate cooler from the radiator, and where is it located?
Old 05-31-15, 11:09 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Look inside the LH side front wheel well. Front of well liner will have louvers & you can see the trans. cooler just inside. Looks like a small radiator, which it is. The cooler would be run in series with any cooler tanks built into the engine rad. More surface area = more cooling.
In Canada for sure all RX cars are AWD & they all have the towing package. Must be part of a Canadian prep. package.
GM still ships every new Corvette going to Canada with a block heater !
Old 05-31-15, 12:32 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2010/L...iagram=8914060

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2010/L...&siteid=214992

1st page gives a selection of standard rad. & HD rad. I would expect the tow package will have the HD version.
2nd page shows the trans cooler, remote mounted & plumbed just forward of the LH side forward wheel well.
Old 06-01-15, 10:59 AM
wadleyg
Driver School Candidate

I can see a radiator looking grill from the front looking through the bumper. I assume this is it. Here is a pic of the hole I am looking through.

Radiator replacement question-img_0260.jpg