RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rolled over, no airbag deployed

Old 05-14-15, 10:33 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rolled over, no airbag deployed

Unfortunatelly, I was involved in an accident and the car rolled over. Big disappointment and a hit on my phylosophy to not buy new. No airbag deployed.

I know Lexuses (Lexi? lexus?) are good cars so, I am not going to blame. Either the car was involved in an accident before and the airbags haven't been replaced or they just got old. Does anyone know if there is a way to isolate the cause?

The car is being repaired ATM and i would like to keep using it, but only if I can find the cause and then see if repairng the airbags is cost efficient.

I have Toyota Techstream and the car never gave an error relating to airbags.

Also, because I did not want people to takes pictures of me and put online, I turned the car on and drove for a short distance. I didn't know it was dangerous. Will it break my car?

Please help here!

Old 05-14-15, 11:31 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Here is some important info from the repair manual regarding air bags:

• Even in the case of a minor collision when the SRS does not deploy, the steering pad, front passenger airbag assembly, driver side knee airbag assembly, center airbag sensor assembly, front airbag sensor, front seat inner belt assembly, seat position sensor, occupant classification ECU, front seat side airbag assembly, side airbag sensor, curtain shield airbag assembly, rear airbag sensor, and front seat outer belt assembly should be inspected.

• Before repair work, remove the airbag sensor if any kind of shock is likely to occur to the airbag sensor during the operation.

• Never use SRS parts from another vehicle. When replacing parts, replace them with new ones.

•Never disassemble or repair any of the following parts in order to reuse them. If any of these parts have been dropped, or a defect is found (cracks, dents or any other defects) in any of the housings, brackets or connectors, then replace the part with a new one.

Steering Pad Front Passenger Airbag Assembly, Driver Side Knee Airbag Assembly, Driver Side Knee Airbag Assembly, Driver Side Knee Airbag Assembly, Front Seat Side Airbag Assembly, Curtain Shield Airbag Assembly, Center Airbag Sensor Assembly, Front Airbag Sensor, Front Seat Inner Belt Assembly, Seat Position Sensor, Occupant Classification ECU, Side Airbag Sensor, Rear Airbag Sensor, Front Seat Outer Belt Assembly.
Old 05-14-15, 12:07 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would ask Lexus Corporate about this one. I know airbags don't always deploy in a front or side impact but i was under the impression that the curtains should always deploy in a roll-over to protect you from hitting your head.
Old 05-14-15, 02:26 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think Lexus Corporate would be of much help, especially since the OP as a 2004 RX330 and lives in Africa.
Old 05-14-15, 03:52 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about curtain or side airbags but I thought that front airbags had to have an impact to deploy?
Old 05-14-15, 07:50 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's quite possible that the airbags would not deploy in a roll-over accident.
Old 05-15-15, 01:43 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by litzdog911
It's quite possible that the airbags would not deploy in a roll-over accident.
Even the side curtains?
Old 05-15-15, 12:32 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If it was a gentle rollover they would not deploy . Ever time the car is started the computer does a check of the air bag system [blinking air bag light ] when light goes out system checks ok . One way to describe deployment is sudden stop as in hitting a car or tree etc. will set off bags . hitting lighter objects where car keeps on moving forward bags wont generally deploy. If your car slid sideways and hit a pole in the side they would divinity go off. My bet would be the air bag system is fine .
Old 05-15-15, 08:04 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

A quick google search for rx330 rollover sensor suggests it wasn't added until MY2005. These aren't definitive sources, so I'd check the owners manual or Lexus model year improvement literature. (Since I have a 2007, I'm not interested in looking into it that far )

http://archive.easyreadernews.com/story.php?StoryID=20025549&IssuePath=

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-09-26/travel/0409260092_1_coupe-monte-carlo-and-impala-sedans/2
Old 05-16-15, 09:09 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by Barry2522
If it was a gentle rollover they would not deploy . Ever time the car is started the computer does a check of the air bag system [blinking air bag light ] when light goes out system checks ok . One way to describe deployment is sudden stop as in hitting a car or tree etc. will set off bags . hitting lighter objects where car keeps on moving forward bags wont generally deploy. If your car slid sideways and hit a pole in the side they would divinity go off. My bet would be the air bag system is fine .
Thank you! It didn't just slip sideways. It went out of the road onto a roughly 1 meter fall then rolled once completely and ended with the tires on the floor. The airbag checking used to go well. Could the problem be somewhere in the deployment mechanism after the electronic stuff? I wanted to keep this car, but only if it is possible and cost efficient to repair this aspect of safety. i have a family.
Old 05-16-15, 09:12 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
A quick google search for rx330 rollover sensor suggests it wasn't added until MY2005. These aren't definitive sources, so I'd check the owners manual or Lexus model year improvement literature. (Since I have a 2007, I'm not interested in looking into it that far )

http://archive.easyreadernews.com/st...549&IssuePath=

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...mpala-sedans/2
Yes, i checked and it really says the sensors were added in 2005. Does it mean that for a 2004 it depends on the impact? If that is the case, I can understand, because there was more impact on the roof and less on the sides.