RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 GX470 LX470 Luxury Tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 03:58 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 GX470 LX470 Luxury Tour

Hey Everyone. I went yesterday to the Ride and Drive. For those of you consumers (and possibly other Lexus people) going to the off road test drive, wear some comfortable shoes. I would suggest sneakers or Timberland type shoes with jeans or khakis. The new RX330 outperforms the Acura, Mercedes, BMW, and Volvo. What an awesome car! And apparantly the new Hybrid is coming next year, a bonus. But I have to say what stole the show was the GX and LX off road test drive. Got a chance to test out the HAC, DAC, and TRAC. That was the first time I had ever been off road and it was soooo cool. Some of the other larger LUV's couldn't keep up....especially the popular Escalade. It was an eye-opening experience. Also, they did a short presentation of the wheel spin that occurs with the BMW and Mercedes. I've seen it in a training video, but to see it live and up close is something else. If I was a consumer and saw that I'd be sold immediately. Another reason why Lexus rules!!!

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 03-20-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-20-03, 04:12 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Sounds like a good time...anyway the reason for my post - did they give you any more info about the hybrid besides the info that it will be out next year?? All I want to know is if the same options will be available for the hybrid? Thanks!
Old 03-20-03, 04:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

No, all they said was it will be out next year. I was hoping for more info as well since I am pretty sure it will be my next car. I have some guesses, but I shouldn't speculate because that's usually how I get into trouble! Sorry....
Old 03-20-03, 07:56 PM
eyebike
Driver

Longo,
Was the RX330 you drove with reg suspension. Did you have a chance to drive one with the air suspension. If so, any differences?
Old 03-21-03, 12:19 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

No, I did not drive the Performance Package there. It was a very short test route for the RX330...about a few minutes. I have however driven it at our dealership. Although, every stop on the tour will be a little different because of the location. Ours was at an equestrian ranch.
Old 03-21-03, 06:08 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

equestrian ranch = Calamigo's Ranch?

I'll be there on Sunday... can't wait to try out the new RX330. That hybrid coming out next year sounds too good to be true (especially given the outrageous prices us LA people are paying right now!
Old 03-23-03, 09:49 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

after driving all the competition at today's event in CA, I have to say hands down that Lexus has raised the bar again the RX market segment. Every minor annoyance myself and others have had appears to been addressed, from the turning radius to the console.

job well done Lexus!
Old 03-23-03, 10:32 PM
tankertoad
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Fantastic Event!

This was probably the most enjoyable few hours my wife and I have experienced in recent memory. The food was terrific (we started with breakfast, then drove, and ended with lunch), the parting gift nice (a car coffee mug that plugs into the lighter to keep warm and a DVD of Lexus movies and info), and the driving was, well can you complain about driving the nicest vehicles around? We have a 99 RX and this sold my wife on the 330. I too thought is was the nicest of the bunch (even more so than the LX for me-too big!). We might not buy for another year or two, but now we know. Actually, I still want her to test drive the FX35 as she likes the styling but she says even if they're equals, she'll go Lexus for the service. We drove the three LUV's and Lexus has a way of providing the smoothest ride (I couldn't belive how jarring the Range Rover was - I like the styling and prestige but it rides off road like crap). Combined with the sunny Malibu day, it was almost perfect. I say almost because although the off road course was long enough, the course for the RX and its ilk was rediculously short. You literally were done in three minutes and had enough time on the open road to accelerate to 50 and cruise for 3-4 seconds before you had to brake and turn back onto a dirt road. Didn't really get a feel for the ride too much but was told if the course was longer, it would take too long to cycle through the vehicles. Maybe so, but fer cryin out loud, make the course and extra two miles longer so I can feel what it's like to drive in a straight line at semi freeway speeds.
Great Job Lexus Marketing!!! We can't wait for the next event. The best things in life ARE free!
Old 03-24-03, 08:00 AM
Jennifer
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone who has driven the 330 provide some more specific insight? Iam particularly interested in:

1) how the vehicle drove compared to an x5 or xc90;
2) has anyone drive both the regular & performance package? How different? Also, in performance package is there aluminum trim inside instead of wood?
3) is there noticably more cargo space in the 330 than in the 300?

Any other thoughts, specific details, etc. appreciated!!!
Old 03-24-03, 08:53 AM
tankertoad
Driver School Candidate

Default Answers

Jennifer,
Based on yesterday, I can tell you that the cargo area is about the same, maybe a tad bit deeper but also not as much overhead room due to the slope of the rear hatch. More space than the X5 but less than the Volvo. As for the ride, the RX was the smoothest, both on the road and on a bumpy dirt trail (it soaked up the ruts very well). The Volvo was the worst at soaking up the dirt trail and acceleration was a little weaker. The Bimmer was in between on the rough stuff but accelerated briskly with the 3.0. I don't think it was faster than the RX, but the sporty growl from the exhaust made it "feel" faster. The RX's engine was very subdued and quiet while it propelled you forward (in true Lexus style). I also liked the RX interior the best. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-03, 10:11 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

I agree with your assesment tankertoad.

I was annoyed at the number of rattles in my X5, with only 432 miles on it! When driving the Volvo up the hill to Mulholland, I thought I was in my GS. The RX felt much smoother, and quieter.

Did any of you try the Escalade on the other course - that was scary!

I was very impressed by the way the GX handled the course -- maybe better than the LX.

What a great time!
Old 03-24-03, 10:35 AM
Jennifer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I appreciate your insight. Do you think there is plenty of room for 2 carseats in the rear seat (i.e., more space than the x5?) ??

Also, how was that rearview camera thing?
Old 03-24-03, 04:50 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

YES! I was in the Escalade. It started to slide right when you come around that tight corner. I was nervous for those horses right at the bottom of the incline. And did you notice the messed up running board on it? It did not hold up at all...and when I was there, the tour had only started, as LA was the 2nd city stop....
Old 03-24-03, 06:13 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default A different take: Yesterday's ride and drive in Malibu

I share little of the same enthusiasm of others who've participated in yesterday's ride and drive in Malibu. My most major complaint was the fact that no one who was representing Lexus knew which specific equipment was on the vehicle the customer was driving. I kept asking if the 330 I had was equipped with sport. No answer to that. Secondly . . . . "small man syndrome" as we say: many of the people working the driving segment were bossy without knowledge of what they were doing. Short-tempered as well.

Separately, the ride portion of the day was a joke. Perhaps two minutes. Was this not the premise of the event??? When I asked for a second drive so that my partner could drive the 330 . . . . they wanted me to get out and stand in line again.

The food was ok. The children's "fun area" was fine.

The RX330 . . . . nice car, contemporized over the previous model. I will buy one, yes. Will I return to the next ride 'n drive. NO. Pete
Old 03-25-03, 11:43 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

sorry to hear you did not enjoy yourself quite as much as others on here peterun... on my survey, i did mention the course for the RX test was too short. It would have been nice if they would have made the run on Mulholland a bit longer... that said, I still really enjoyed the event.