RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First 330 preview in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 10:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow First 330 preview in Houston

We went by Westside's showroom today to get a preview of the 330 that came in overnight. There it was, right in the middle of the showroom floor, black/ivory - sorta like a Steinway. It's a beauty! Sadly, not even the salespeople have driven it yet - it's the only one they have and I guess they aren't willing to have it out running around when it could be home selling. Guess I can't blame them for that. I can wait...

List pricing is about list for your last RX, and considering the new standard features, that represents a fair price cut over earlier models. And, yeah, they will be getting full retail for the forseeable future.

The initial offering of options boils down to a selection of three packages:

#1. PT-FT-HH-TO-C1-WL = Premium Plus package (includes PM, premium package) with 18" Al wheels, heated seats, towing package, cargo mat, and wheel locks. --------Retail $41,638

#2. PT-FT-HH-NV-TO-C1-WL = Premium Plus package (includes PM, premium package) with 18" Al wheels, heated seats, Navigation package with rear camera, towing package, cargo mat, and wheel locks. --------Retail $43,988

#3. VN-FT-EY-HH-TO-C1-WL = Navigation package with Mark Levinson (includes PM, premium package and compass with rear camera), rear seat entertainment package, 18" Al wheels, heated seats, towing package, cargo mat, and wheel locks. --------Retail $46,808

First vehicles to be available for sale in about ten days, with the first allocated to those on the waiting list. I'm sure other options, like the performance package, and a few free standing options - similar to those on the .ca site - will be in the pipeline before too long.

Observations:

They have paint and leather swatches available, and at least under office lighting - it would be hard to make a bad choice. The white seems to be closer to my golden pearl than the Kenmore white of some more recent models. The breakwater blue is about one shade darker than vapor blue - very nice! the dark blue and green are very dark, and very classy. I'm going for the Savannah Metallic - sort of a light champagne. The flint mica is a very sharp dark grey. I ordered the ivory interior, but am having second thoughts - may select the light grey.

The RX on the floor had the second package (with Nav). The power liftgate operates from the key, a button on the lower edge of the 'gate, and a button next to the outside mirror control near your left knee on the dash. There is a sliding cover over these recessed buttons, which explains why they aren't visible in some pics. I hope the C-BEST programming allows you to silence that stupid warning chime that sounds off every time you power the liftgate up or down - its loud enough to be annoying, but located at the wrong end of the car. Mary Margaret pointed out that the cargo cover roller snaps out of its brackets and fits into the two connected bins at the rear of the cargo floor, still leaving room for other items. Great feature for getting that kludge out of the way when carrying a large load! The larger compartment forward of these bins holds the jack, lug wrench, and tool kit - with plenty of room for additional tools, emergency kit, etc. Four good tie-downs, one at each corner of the cargo hold, complete the picture aft.

The rear seating area seems to have about two inches more legroom than the 300 - the seats adjust as before, but with an independent center section that splits the seatback 40-20-40 (did anyone ask for that?) With the console in the rearward position (exposing the "purse tray" below the gear selector), legroom in the center aft position is non-existant, but opening the forward cupholder compartment and squeezing the release allows it to slide forward to almost meet the dash. At the rear of the console are a pair AC outlets as in the 300. The center of the console is opened by pressing a release button, opening the inverted bomb bay doors to expose a large storage area...and more cupholders. (If they add any more cupholders, the board of health is going to require a mandatory porta-potty option.)

From the driver's seat the first thing I noticed was the room! I'm 6'4" with a long torso, and my fit in the 300 is such that in a minor crash, despite aribags and restraints, I will be leaving a rather large impression on the moonroof. Just as I was about to remark on there being no improvement in room for the driver, my hand found the seat switches. When I pressed the "down" button, I quickly gained about a half-inch of headroom, and pressing the switch back, the legroom suddenly became generous. Other amenities abound. Vanity mirror lights have dimmers, seat heaters actually have a range of settings other than off and broil. Seat leather has changed - for the better. My '00 has always had very soft pliable seating surfaces, while several '01 and '02 loaners have had hides that seemed thicker and more stiff. The 330's seats are very soft and rich - much more comfortable!

The 6-CD player is a single loader below the radio in the stack, freeing up the glove compartment to hold more than the owner's manual, insurance card and flashlight. The moonroof is slightly smaller, but about the size we get when opening automatically from the fully closed position in the 300. Maybe that's the solution to the resonance phenomonon.(?) The moonroof also incorporates a bellows-like rubber panel on the sides so that when tilted up it should eliminate a good deal of rainwater blowing in. Will be interesting to see what effect it has on noise, too.

OK, insert the key in the ignition and stand back - the steering wheel tilts and telescopes to it's memory setting - and it tilts up and telescopes away when you remove the key. Memory setting for seat also controls mirrors and wheel. Instruments are easy to read and the gated shifter is more Lexus and less Toyota than before. I like. Radio controls on steering wheel are handy, but the woodgrain (maple) looks like shiny light brown plastic. Not too attractive with ivory, but maybe better with grey interior. Will investigate....as soon as they get another 330 in - maybe a week or so.

I'm looking forward to driving and trying all the features. I'll follow up - meanwhile, submit your questions - maybe the sales force will have found out a bit more by then.

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-16-03 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-15-03, 11:06 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that the 330 has the tilt-away feature for the steering wheel; previous statements make it sound like it has just a power tilt/telescope w/ no tilt-away. I'm so jealous that several dealerships on the mainland are having previews; nothing here in Hawaii!?!
Old 03-16-03, 04:47 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: First 330 preview in Houston

Originally posted by Lil4X
From the driver's seat the first thing I noticed was the room! I'm 6'4" with a long torso, and my fit in the 300 is such that in a minor crash, despite aribags and restraints, I will be leaving a rather large impression on the moonroof. Just as I was about to remark on there being no improvement in room for the driver, my hand found the seat switches. When I pressed the "down" button, I quickly gained about a half-inch of headroom, and pressing the switch back, the legroom suddenly became generous.
Thanks for the update. Your experience was very simular to mine (I'm 6'4" also). I ordered the Breakwater Blue with Grey Leather and the Performance Package. We'll see if they can find one.

John