RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Wet Rear Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 10:12 AM
wrencher73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Wet Rear Carpet

The Rear Seat Floor gets drenched when driving in the rain. I have check all 4 corner drains on the sunroof with air and they all are open. The front holes I checked from the top and the rear hoses I check from the bottom after pulling the tool and jack trays out to access hose discharge holes. I hope that would rule out the sunroof. The rear floor carpet is wet from the lower door sill (where the lite up Lexus is at rear doors) down into the foot well and under front seats also. I have check both rear door seals for wear and tear and they look good as far as making contact to door frame or seal. Do these RX330 have door seal problems. I have watered the car with hose and can not find where the water enters the car. Any input would be very appreciated.
Old 01-18-15, 11:47 AM
iluvny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you disconnected the battery recently?

If so, and you didn't re-sync the sunroof, that is what causing the leak. It leaks from front carpet to the rear.
Old 01-21-15, 09:50 AM
CUTiger80
Driver School Candidate

My daughter is having the same problem with her 06 RX330 ever since she bought it from a used car dealer about 18 months ago. The battery was replaced as a part of the deal. How do you re-sync the sunroof after replacing the battery? I have never heard of this.
I have not checked the sunroof drains either. Any suggestions or threads where this procedure is described?
Old 01-21-15, 04:27 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTiger80
My daughter is having the same problem with her 06 RX330 ever since she bought it from a used car dealer about 18 months ago. The battery was replaced as a part of the deal. How do you re-sync the sunroof after replacing the battery? I have never heard of this.
I have not checked the sunroof drains either. Any suggestions or threads where this procedure is described?
Its in the manual. Can't remember the exact procedure. I had to do this after I bought mine. If it does not close automatically, this is the problem.
Old 01-28-15, 12:30 PM
wrencher73
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 WATER LEAK ( found and fixed ) FINALLY !!

When sitting or driving in the rain mostly Rear Carpets get wet, Very wet when driving in rain. After hours of on-line trouble shooting and tearing half the interior out including dropping rear part of headliner to access rear sunroof drains. Front and Rear drains were wide open but the roof inside was drenched with water droplets. I wiped off interior water closed it up and started watering roof with hose. I pulled the rear tool trays and plastic pieces. The water was pouring in around both Tail lights. Pulled both tail lights and the plastic beside the light, sealed all parts that would allow water inside body. I let it set overnight and watered again for about the 20th time. The water still poured in under tail light so I left the trunk open to see interior, I started at the bumper with the hose on sprayed all around the tail lights with no leak and kept moving up, when I got to the strut mount to the body the water started pouring in. As it turn out there is a BODY SEAM 3/4 of an inch above where the strut mounts to the body and both were separated and leaking on my RX. SEAM SEPERATION and REAR DRAIN HOSE EXIT PICS TO FOLLOW
Old 01-28-15, 11:09 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice troubleshooting! Looking forward to the photos.
Old 01-29-15, 06:54 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

I would also check in the rear hatch water channel right near the hatch struts there is a body overlap you will visually be able to see and feel. Check for cracking there. There was issues with water intrusion at that point. I believe there was a bulliten for it as well.
Old 02-02-15, 05:41 AM
CUTiger80
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by wrencher73
When sitting or driving in the rain mostly Rear Carpets get wet, Very wet when driving in rain. After hours of on-line trouble shooting and tearing half the interior out including dropping rear part of headliner to access rear sunroof drains. Front and Rear drains were wide open but the roof inside was drenched with water droplets. I wiped off interior water closed it up and started watering roof with hose. I pulled the rear tool trays and plastic pieces. The water was pouring in around both Tail lights. Pulled both tail lights and the plastic beside the light, sealed all parts that would allow water inside body. I let it set overnight and watered again for about the 20th time. The water still poured in under tail light so I left the trunk open to see interior, I started at the bumper with the hose on sprayed all around the tail lights with no leak and kept moving up, when I got to the strut mount to the body the water started pouring in. As it turn out there is a BODY SEAM 3/4 of an inch above where the strut mounts to the body and both were separated and leaking on my RX. SEAM SEPERATION and REAR DRAIN HOSE EXIT PICS TO FOLLOW
I assume when you are talking about the strut, you are talking about the lift-assist strut for the rear hatch?
Where did you find the end of the hoses for the rear of the sunroof? I looked with a flashlight this weekend and did not see them. They must be way back under the headliner at the rear of the entire sunroof mechanism. I did pour water into the gutter/track and confirm that both of the rear drains were working (water poured out behind each rear wheel).
In my daughter's case, I think it was the sunroof itself that needed to be re-synced after a battery replacement. I sent her the instructions from the Owner's Manual and when she did it she said that the roof open/closed automatically, which it had never done before. I did not do a hose test, since I only saw your post after she left for home Sunday (02/01) afternoon.
Old 02-02-15, 11:08 AM
wrencher73
Driver School Candidate

Default Body Seam Seperation Issue

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
I would also check in the rear hatch water channel right near the hatch struts there is a body overlap you will visually be able to see and feel. Check for cracking there. There was issues with water intrusion at that point. I believe there was a bulliten for it as well.
The SEAM SEPERATION above strut mount on both sides is exactly what the problem is. I ran a bead of silicone down each one for now and the leak stopped completely. I know this is not the proper repair. Would the dealer care or Its my problem now. The car is 11 yrs old. For some reason I can not upload pictures to my posts, Sorry
Old 03-31-15, 09:59 AM
CUTiger80
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Still leaking after sunroof reset

I reset the sunroof as previously suggested and thought that the leak had been solved. I also checked the 4 moonroof drains and they all appeared to be working. (The back 2 were a challenge since you can't see the back corners of the gutters. My daughter has spent the last couple of months drying out the carpets in all 4 foot wells. The back seems to be staying pretty dry, but the front keeps collecting new water when it rains.
My daughter noted the other day that after a hard rain she hears water sloshing somewhere the first time she hits the brakes hard. At her apartment, the car sits with the front end higher than the rear.
The other day it rained pretty hard overnight. She checked the front drivers side floor pan under the carpet (we have the carpet propped up off the floor pans with 3" pieces of wood) and it was relatively dry. After driving, hitting the brakes hard and hearing the water sloshing (only once), she checked again and the floor pan was pretty wet.
She also said that sometimes the top portion of the seat belt is wet after a hard rain.
Does anyone have any ideas on where this water is coming from?
Is it possible that the part of the moonroof assembly that is in the roof where the glass goes when it is open is holding water and that is what she hears sloshing?
Should I try and remove the entire headliner (that seems like a real bear of a project) to get a good look at the moonroof assembly and the underside of the roof?
Should I consider replacing all of the gaskets around the moonroof?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!