RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Windows Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 08:54 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Windows Question

I have a dumb question for you all in this forum,

I can fully operate driver's side window with the master control located in the driver's side door.
When I push the button to lower the passenger's windows or any of the rear windows nothing happens. The front passenger and rear passenger can fully operate the windows with the switch located in each door.

Is there a setting that is preventing me from controlling the other 3 windows?.
Old 12-05-14, 01:25 PM
iluvny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, can't believe no one's answered this yet.

Forward of the window switches, in the driver's door, are the master door lock sw and to it's right, the window lock out sw. This sw should be extended with a thin red band visible around the base.

If it's depressed (red band not visible), that prevents you from opening the other windows from the driver's position.

At least that's the case on our 2004 RX. And, yes, I just tried it .
Old 12-06-14, 03:26 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

iluvny is for the the lockout...But your windows are not locked out. You need to go through the window reset procedure.

Go to the switch on each door and roll the window down.
Then pull the switch up to the second position (auto up) and hold it while the window rolls up and keep holding it for an additional one second after the window is rolled up.
Do this at all for doors and then your windows will work again.
Old 12-06-14, 08:27 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvny
Wow, can't believe no one's answered this yet.
The lockout switch isn't relevant. If it was depressed then the passengers wouldn't be able to use their window switches either.
Old 12-06-14, 09:07 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenbake
iluvny is for the the lockout...But your windows are not locked out. You need to go through the window reset procedure.

Go to the switch on each door and roll the window down.
Then pull the switch up to the second position (auto up) and hold it while the window rolls up and keep holding it for an additional one second after the window is rolled up.
Do this at all for doors and then your windows will work again.
Absolutely correct. The windows need to be reset one by one. (It happened to me.) The button on the driver's door to limit window movements is only so that one can prevent rear passengers from moving their windows up or down (useful, for example, when kids are in the back). It has no effect on the ability of the driver to control windows.
Old 12-10-14, 12:43 PM
papasmurf2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever wonder what the engineers had in mind with this whole reset deal? This is the only car I have ever had that does this reset deal.
Old 12-10-14, 03:41 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Every car I have ever owned that had on auto-up feature had to be reset after having the power disconnected. It makes sense that it has to be reset. The computer has to re-learn its limits so that it know the difference between a regular roll-up and a roll-up that has an obstruction (such as a child's arm).
Old 03-20-15, 12:42 PM
juliemannj
Driver School Candidate

Easiest thing I found is:
Make sure master lock button on driver's door is unlocked (up).
From each window's door switch, roll window down and up again twice.
That's it!
Old 05-30-15, 06:05 PM
LAH2U
Driver School Candidate

I used the Driver's Side Window Lock on my 2005 RX330 to prevent my dog from lowering the window with her paw. But after I unlocked the switch, the only window I can operate is the driver's side window. Do you think this is the same problem as previously mentioned?
Old 06-01-15, 06:13 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LAH2U
I used the Driver's Side Window Lock on my 2005 RX330 to prevent my dog from lowering the window with her paw. But after I unlocked the switch, the only window I can operate is the driver's side window. Do you think this is the same problem as previously mentioned?
Yes, the problem you are describing is consistent with the symptoms of windows reset.
Follow the procedure and should be okay. I had the same problem
Thanks to everyone in this forum who answered my question.
Old 06-03-15, 11:36 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me you either changed or disconnected the battery sometime around when you unlocked the switch.. Just guessing..
Old 06-08-15, 02:40 PM
LAH2U
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Window Dilemna

Thank you for all the great advice!

I had forgotten that I had a problem with the battery being drained after I had the car serviced. They replaced the rear weatherstripping gasket, which prevented the door from closing completely. So I did get a boost from CAA. I didn't remember that part until you mentioned it.

Could I ask if there are any other occurances that I should know about? I must say none of my other vehicles did this.

Thanks every one for your input. I don't know how I would get by without this site!
Old 06-08-15, 02:58 PM
LAH2U
Driver School Candidate

After receiving all the great replies with regard to the power window controls, I just started thinking about another electronic problem I have had with my 2005 RX330 since I got it about 18 months ago. I have referred to the manual many times, but I still have a bizarre time with my Moon Roof controls. There is no "One Touch" anything and the two buttons seem to be doing the same thing but not very well. For this reason, I really try to avoid using the Moon Roof as it is almost impossible to get it closed properly. Could some one please advise me if this is a reset problem, and if so, how do I reset it? Thanks so very much!
Old 06-08-15, 03:30 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you for all the great advice!

I had forgotten that I had a problem with the battery being drained after I had the car serviced. They replaced the rear weatherstripping gasket, which prevented the door from closing completely. So I did get a boost from CAA. I didn't remember that part until you mentioned it.

Could I ask if there are any other occurances that I should know about? I must say none of my other vehicles did this.

Thanks every one for your input. I don't know how I would get by without this site!
There are a couple reset procedures that you might need. One is the moonroof. That also needs to be initialized after a power loss. The instructions are in your manual but the easy way to do this is to turn the ignition on and press the roof open button and hold it. The roof will slide open, then closed, then up and finally down. You can release the button after that sequence and the moonroof will be automatic again.

The rear hatch might also become inoperative from the keyfob and might need to be reset. To do this, simply open and close the hatch manually.

Might be more but that's all I can recall I needed to do.
Old 07-18-15, 11:50 AM
DAbruzzer
Driver School Candidate

Default Manual procedure doesn't work

Changed the battery and the drivers side window works but none of the other windows work. They don't work from the inidividual doors or drivers side control... Help

Quick Reply: Power Windows Question