RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Noise when braking (Squishy too)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 09:08 AM
gfietz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when braking (Squishy too)

Hello, this is my first post im looking to get some feedback on a obvious brake issue we have on our RX330 AWD.

A week or so ago we noticed our brake light came on (red parking brake one) and I made sure it wasn't pushed down and figured maybe it was just a sensor problem. Yesterday my wife said her brakes were making noise when she pushed the pedal down like a rubbing almost farting noise when you very first press the pedal then she said it is much harder to stop (squishy no feedback).

I popped the hood and noticed the brake fluid tank is bone dry. I added dot3 fluid thinking it would fix it and the only thing that happened is the brake light went off. I drove it around a bit and it still makes that barking noise when you hit the pedal and still squishy. This morning it was a bit better but drove it some more and it still has me worried, the level hasnt gone down at all on the reservoir. I was going to bleed the brakes and refill tonight but do you guys think its more of a mechanical failure with something or just bad air in the line?

Thanks!

BTW this 04 rx330 has about 117k miles on it, had a major service at 100k.
Old 10-22-14, 09:59 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleeding the brakes sounds like a very good idea. The question still remains where has the brake fluid gone? No, such thing as magic on something mechanical, somewhere you have a slow leak. For that you'll have to raise the vehicle and check for damp areas where the brake lines run and also at the calipers etc.
I suppose the pads are still in good condition. The ABS distribution unit can also make a noise (listen if the noise comes from under the hood), which is quite normal if it detects no fluid and it ought to get back to normal after you've rectified the empty reservoir. It may take a while to "learn" the back to normal situation.
Old 10-22-14, 11:58 AM
gfietz
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I was thinking leak, I haven't seen anything on the ground so I will take a look at it and try a bleed tonight. I will also check for that noise under the hood too thanks for that.
Old 10-22-14, 12:15 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get your car in for service on this problem ASAP! Loss of brake fluid as you have described compromises your safety. No doubt you have air entrapped in the system after refilling the master cylinder. A simple test is to pump the brake pedal and see if it firms up a bit. The noise may be the ABS system acting up because of entrapped air or low fluid level.
You must find and fix whatever caused the loss of fluid and then do a thorough system bleed. This is work for an experienced brake person.
Good luck!
Old 10-22-14, 05:54 PM
gfietz
Driver School Candidate

Jacked the car up and saw the back right brake area was covered in oil as if it was leaking (dried but oily). I was doing the bleed starting with the back right and I noticed it was spitting out a lot of bubbles and air so it really fixed the braking itself its nice and firm again no noise so I will have to find that leak. Just wanted to give a little detail on it.
Old 10-23-14, 12:16 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well gfietz, welcome to CL from this side. Keep us posted, that's how we learn about our rides.