RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fall 2014 Best tire update (please participate)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 10:59 PM
blautens
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer - Michelin Latitude. I got them from Tire Rack June of 2012 for $209 each - ($900 shipped) - P235/55R-18 - that's pretty cheap for those - it can be $350 each for those on our other SUV - try going up or down a size if need be (and if you can) - it can be a drastic difference in price.

Long answer - My wife goes through tires semi quickly on our 2005 RX330 - Eagle RSAs (lasted 20k), 3 sets of Michelin MXV (20k, 25k and 25k) and now Michelin Latitudes. Better straight line stability, balance well, noise levels are good and it doesn't get super noisy as they get older, unlike the MXVs. The RSAs are just noisy start to finish. The RX is not a handler - no need for Parada Spec X. I pray they don't get rid of that line of tires.

And while I'm not a Michelin fan boy, I will say this - I have found good tires that are not Michelins. I have found tires I didn't like that are not Michelins. But I've NEVER had a bad experience with any Michelin tire. Some Michelins better than others, but overall, never been unhappy with that brand. And I go through a LOT of tires, with 5 vehicles and one of them is usually a muscle car.

I went to the Latitudes because I liked them so much on the other SUV we have, my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS, which is not really the tire you'd expect to find on that truck. I've had all the tires above on the TBSS (including Spec X) as well as Hankook Ventus, and I keep going back to the Latitudes. The Latitudes do not have the sharp turn in of the Spec X or the Ventus, but at very extra, extra legal speeds, they are not nearly as twitchy, and I played with the alignment for 2 weeks on each tire replacement - you can't change the basic characteristics of those different tires without serious wear consequences.

Go Latitude! I do have a friend with a 2008 RX350 who bought them on my recommendation and really liked them also.

Last edited by blautens; 10-22-14 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and all the things my English teachers burned into my brain.
Old 10-23-14, 03:03 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to my local Toyota dealer for oil change. 2008 RX awd .(Lexus dealer 100 miles away) They were running a tire special. Buy 3 get 1 free, including TPMS , mount and balance. Checked on a couple brands that they had in stock and went home to research.
Almost found to much information and opinions on tires. Went back the next day for rear brakes and decided to buy tires. They didn't carry my first two choices so decided to go with Yokohama Avid Ascends 225/65R17 H , for $536 and get a $60 visa gift card. Right after I got home the service guy calls me back and said the deal was only for Toyotas. I said just do the brakes and I'll go across the street to discount tire because I was talking to them about getting 2 sets of tires anyway since my wife's Lincoln LS needs tires too. 20 minutes later he calls back and said they want to work with me so they can give me the tires all in $566, and throw in a free alignment to make up for the difference in tire price.
So ended up with 4 tires, rear brake pads,4 wheel alignment, $60 visa card, and a car wash for $779. Have only driven a few miles so far but have noticed a smother ride over expansion joints.
Old 10-23-14, 09:36 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Which specific tires though? Each company makes several tires that would fit an RX and the tires aren't all identical from each company.
The Goodyear were the original that came with the car, that everyone hates. The Michelin were the MX4, that you see on some Acura and BMW SUVs, the Toyo was the proxies STII (recommended for crossovers but I also went with an irregular size, 255/50/18, wanted a wider looking tire), and the last brand I still can't remember what they were. I usually bought my tires from Discount tire. The Michelin were the most expensive as I recall nearly 900. The Toyos were bought at express tire, somewhere around 750, but their service is terrible, they scratched my rims, will never go to them again. The Yokohamas I am on now were around 800 and cheaper than most of the other big names offering tires.
Old 10-26-14, 06:26 AM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We still drive some Goodyear tires that came with it, and we're not impressed. We have the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires for our winter driving and they completely transform the vehicle. Driving in ND, it has much more grip on ice, does very well at speed, and corners very well. Wear has been good, and while they're a bit noisier than the all seasons, they are awesome for slick winters in the RX.
Old 10-26-14, 09:51 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw this out there even if this is the RX thread. I'll give a nod to the Continental control contacts I have for my IS 350. Very quiet, good grip and has done well in light rain. No downpour testing yet and I'll update then. This is Americas tire company own brand made for by Continental.
Old 10-27-14, 07:51 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Our RX350 came with a brand new set of Sumitomo Touring LS II tires. At first they had a shimmy at 70MPH. We thought we needed an alignment, but when we checked it was OK. I was going to rebalance all four tires, but the shimmy went away after riding 1000 miles. Other than that they are noisy. No handling issues, no out of round issues.
Don't think I'll repeat but will try Michelin as we're very happy with the set on our Highlander.
Old 10-27-14, 11:43 AM
hrobert65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for tire information. Have an 08 RX400h with about 90k miles. My second set of Michelins is about done - got 45k out of them. Now trying to decide between Bridgestone 422 Ecopias and the Michelin A/S Premiers. A set of four at COSTCO shows the Ecopias some $200 less than the Michelins. Question is, are the A/S Premiers $200 better? Live in the Seattle area, so rain is definitely an issue....

thanks,

Bob
Old 10-27-14, 11:52 AM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrobert65
Looking for tire information. Have an 08 RX400h with about 90k miles. My second set of Michelins is about done - got 45k out of them. Now trying to decide between Bridgestone 422 Ecopias and the Michelin A/S Premiers. A set of four at COSTCO shows the Ecopias some $200 less than the Michelins. Question is, are the A/S Premiers $200 better? Live in the Seattle area, so rain is definitely an issue....

thanks,

Bob
Between my Corolla and RX, I've tried Goodyear, Continental, General, and Michelin. The Michelin tires continually outperform the rest. They do wear faster, but their warranty is comparable so we just use that for the next set. Worth it consistently.
Old 10-27-14, 10:27 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hrobert65

thanks,

Bob
I had the same issue, and I got the Ecopias. But I am in FL and rain is not a big concern, and I drive to, and stay in, Canada during the summer months. As you may have seen, the Mich. Premiers are stated to be better for wet because the grooves become wider as the tire wears, thus supposedly offsetting the lesser depth. Sounds good in theory....
Old 10-28-14, 01:17 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

I was thinking of going for the wider look with the 255s, any feedback on how they fit and perform? and what brands?
Old 10-28-14, 01:18 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Default 255/50/18

Originally Posted by LophatRX
The Goodyear were the original that came with the car, that everyone hates. The Michelin were the MX4, that you see on some Acura and BMW SUVs, the Toyo was the proxies STII (recommended for crossovers but I also went with an irregular size, 255/50/18, wanted a wider looking tire), and the last brand I still can't remember what they were. I usually bought my tires from Discount tire. The Michelin were the most expensive as I recall nearly 900. The Toyos were bought at express tire, somewhere around 750, but their service is terrible, they scratched my rims, will never go to them again. The Yokohamas I am on now were around 800 and cheaper than most of the other big names offering tires.
Hi, how do the 255/50/18s run and fit on your car.
Old 10-28-14, 01:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for Ecopia - quiet ride, good wet traction and constantly getting 18+ MPG for AWD

Last edited by kickin8; 10-29-14 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 08:04 PM
lexus997
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bridgestone Dueller H/L Ecopia 422

I had them for 2 years on an Acura MDX that we recently sold. The tires were quiet on the highway and offered good traction in mixed conditions, including Cleveland winters.

When the current Michelin's are done on the RX, I will replace them with either a Michelin or a Bridgestone tire. I have a bias for M or B tires.
Old 10-28-14, 10:43 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
Hi, how do the 255/50/18s run and fit on your car.
When I bought mine there were few brands that had that size tire, designed for an CUV, I image that hasn't changed. I liked the way they looked and handled, they just got real noise and rough at about 25,000 miles maybe less. Initially I was impressed with the Toyos just not for the long run.
Old 04-01-15, 03:33 PM
PortAh
Driver

put in Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia in 9/2011 when it first got out. It's pretty good, but now 26k miles past, it's worn down to 5/32" according to AT store. I felt it's worn out faster than it should be.
Normal mixed freeway/local driving in CA, 07 RX350 AWD. Does it sound about right?

The store told me the Alenza Plus is now a 80k mi warranty tires. The prev set I had before the Ecopia was the original Alenza, it worn out about 40k miles on 07 RX350 AWD.

I am also looking for a new set, and would like to try another brand/model.

The best SUV tires I had was Michelin LTX M/S in 2000 RX300 AWD. Super quiet, great handling. Best tire ever, lasted me 90k mi seriously no joke. Too bad they dont make it in 235/55/18.

Last edited by PortAh; 04-04-15 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Fall 2014 Best tire update (please participate)