RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Error 4 revisited--request help from any and all experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 02:35 PM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Error 4 revisited--request help from any and all experts!!

Hello all,
Well I thought I had remedied my problem with the radio in my 2005 RX330 ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...error-4-a.html also https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-player-4.html ) but it's baaaaaack. I am on my THIRD radio and so far this one has been the "best"/lasted the longest. When I first had it put in, I got one "error 4" message in a week. Then nothing for another week. Now I am getting them almost daily. The error shows up during an operation related to the CD player (e.g., when switching from radio to CD, ejecting a CD, after inserting a CD, changing a CD--I have the non-Mark Levinson 6-disc player). In all instances, my "cure" is to turn the car off, then back on and the radio/CD player will start up with the last function that was attempted before the error 4 reared it's ugly head. My RX is back at the dealer again and they have checked everything and consulted with the Lexus tech experts and can't find anything wrong so they are insisting it's a problem with my discs. I don't know how many times I have told the same service rep I AM NOT using CD-R/RW's or discs with labels, the errors show up with a variety of discs (e.i., it's not the same disc) and I have NEVER had a problem with any of the CD's in any other player (home or auto).

So now they seem to be telling me they can't do anything and I'm going to have to live with it since they insist it is a problem with my CD's. I know this is a VERY COMMON issue with these 2nd gen RX's so anyone that can help out, I would be eternally grateful. I've even toggled with the "ship mode" referenced by jakenbake in the referenced thread but no go. PLEASE HELP! Thanks.
Old 09-22-14, 08:42 PM
gundy
Rookie

BUMP (that's at least 10 characters)
Old 09-23-14, 01:26 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took the CDs I had out of there and put them in my iTunes. I only use my iPod now and I won't put CDs in anymore.
Old 09-23-14, 10:43 AM
gundy
Rookie

I guess that's one "solution" but it shouldn't have to be that way. The dealer did admit the CD player did "freeze up" twice but no error message showed(!?!?). So they are ordering another radio FOR A THIRD TIME! Two days later, still using my current system, the error 4 showed up again so I took a picture and sent it to them. With this being such a common problem, Lexus shouldn't be allowed a copout.
Old 09-23-14, 02:32 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah...It isn't my favorite solution either...But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new head unit. Especially since I have the Mark Levinson.
Old 10-24-14, 12:29 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Have had problems with my CD player for a while... I never use the changer; just put one in and listen to it but if I don't replace it with another one when in LOAD, it freezes.. which is where it is now. Only I have a different problem than typical; the door won't close. I tried putting a cd in there to see if it would prompt some action from the door, but now I have a cd stuck and still the door won't close.

I hesitate taking the unit out but anyone have an idea with code re-sets or some simple mechanical way to get the door to close?
Old 10-27-14, 02:01 PM
gundy
Rookie

quantfutur--try the method described in the first link of my original post above.
Old 01-19-19, 05:45 PM
DRG3579
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error 4

I have an 04 RX and 05 SC 530 both have the non Levison and both have Error Code 4 problems. Turning the car off used to fix it now it doesn’t. I keep telling dealership this is a recall issue Lexus needs to repair.
-DRG

Originally Posted by gundy
Hello all,
Well I thought I had remedied my problem with the radio in my 2005 RX330 ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...error-4-a.html also https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-player-4.html ) but it's baaaaaack. I am on my THIRD radio and so far this one has been the "best"/lasted the longest. When I first had it put in, I got one "error 4" message in a week. Then nothing for another week. Now I am getting them almost daily. The error shows up during an operation related to the CD player (e.g., when switching from radio to CD, ejecting a CD, after inserting a CD, changing a CD--I have the non-Mark Levinson 6-disc player). In all instances, my "cure" is to turn the car off, then back on and the radio/CD player will start up with the last function that was attempted before the error 4 reared it's ugly head. My RX is back at the dealer again and they have checked everything and consulted with the Lexus tech experts and can't find anything wrong so they are insisting it's a problem with my discs. I don't know how many times I have told the same service rep I AM NOT using CD-R/RW's or discs with labels, the errors show up with a variety of discs (e.i., it's not the same disc) and I have NEVER had a problem with any of the CD's in any other player (home or auto).

So now they seem to be telling me they can't do anything and I'm going to have to live with it since they insist it is a problem with my CD's. I know this is a VERY COMMON issue with these 2nd gen RX's so anyone that can help out, I would be eternally grateful. I've even toggled with the "ship mode" referenced by jakenbake in the referenced thread but no go. PLEASE HELP! Thanks.