RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Heat only coming from Driver's side, but Cold A/C works on both

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 06:27 AM
ddlaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heat only coming from Driver's side, but Cold A/C works on both

Hey all. I've been googling this issue for 2 days with no fix. I'm close to spending the money to get an rx330 service manual.

My issue -
Since last winter, the darn dual climate control will only put out heat on the driver's side vents on any warm temperature setting(above ambient), passenger side will only put out room temperature air. Cold A/C will come out of both sides just fine.

AC diagnostics check says code 11, which I've read to be the temperature sensor circuit. I tested the sensor by the knee on the driver's side and resistance goes up and down with temperature, within ranges that I've seen for other thermistors--this one read 1.68 kohm last night. I checked the connector and read 3.5volts going to the sensor. Sprayed in contact cleaner and reconnected it. Still the same error.

Are there two cabin temperature sensors in this car?? if so, where is the second one?
It seems like there is a second sensor on the passenger side that thinks the cabin temp is high so it doesn't allow the air mix control to allow hot air through.

My second theory is that the air mix control servos aren't working on the passenger side. I don't know what servo I was looking at but I could peek a servo moving up and down on the passenger side left knee area under the dash. it would move up and down as I changed temperatures.

One last thing to note - i take it off dual climate control and the problem remains the same. My thinking is that the dual climate control off would mean it uses the one temperature sensor to control heat to both sides of the car.....

Old 07-27-16, 06:38 AM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem and was wondering if you ever got this fixed? I'm assuming it's the passenger air mix servo. Has anyone ever changed this out?
Old 07-28-16, 05:21 AM
vscalais
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem in my 2006 RX350 right hand drive (Australia). Help please
Old 07-28-16, 07:46 AM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

I checked my a/c diagnostic codes (it's easy, do a search) by turning my ignition on and while pressing the auto and recirc buttons. Hold the buttons until the car starts. The lights on the ac will then flash and the problem codes will display. Mine is a code 31, which is the passenger air mix servo. I think it's a pretty easy, straightforward job. The part is about $90.
Old 07-31-16, 12:03 AM
vscalais
Pole Position

Thanks crimedog. I found the diagnostic codes. Weirdly mine came back with 00. I also ran the actuator check. All seemed good. So I will pull of the glovebox and see what's happening. Maybe there is a detached airflow pipe. I guess it could happen if someone changed the cabin filter and dislodged something?? What do you think?

Cheers, David
Old 07-31-16, 05:32 PM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vscalais
Thanks crimedog. I found the diagnostic codes. Weirdly mine came back with 00. I also ran the actuator check. All seemed good. So I will pull of the glovebox and see what's happening. Maybe there is a detached airflow pipe. I guess it could happen if someone changed the cabin filter and dislodged something?? What do you think?

Cheers, David
that's very possible. I have also read that the right side of the heating system comes from the bottom of the heater core and can build up sediment which will cause no heat on that side. I would find it pretty hard to believe the core could be that plugged up, but I guess if a vehicle had been abused it's possible. Please let me know what you find.
Old 09-09-16, 10:42 AM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

To follow up, I have my passenger heat fixed as of today. I assumed it was the air mix servo on the passenger side (by the code I was getting, see post above). I pulled off the glove box, the passenger heater tube (one screw), and the trim plate on the center console (two trim screws). The servo is very easy to get to. After verifying it wasn't moving by adjusting the temperature up and down, I pulled it out (3 phillips screws). I disconnected the electrical connection. Just for the heck of it I plugged it back in to make sure it wasn't the contacts in the connection. Sure enough, it worked. So I cleaned up the connections with contact cleaner, put a little dielectric grease on them and put everything back together. Worked like a charm and saved me from having to buy the servo.

I'm sure it will eventually wear out as it's a common issue but for now it's working great.
Old 09-11-16, 05:37 AM
vscalais
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crimedog
To follow up, I have my passenger heat fixed as of today. I assumed it was the air mix servo on the passenger side (by the code I was getting, see post above). I pulled off the glove box, the passenger heater tube (one screw), and the trim plate on the center console (two trim screws). The servo is very easy to get to. After verifying it wasn't moving by adjusting the temperature up and down, I pulled it out (3 phillips screws). I disconnected the electrical connection. Just for the heck of it I plugged it back in to make sure it wasn't the contacts in the connection. Sure enough, it worked. So I cleaned up the connections with contact cleaner, put a little dielectric grease on them and put everything back together. Worked like a charm and saved me from having to buy the servo.

I'm sure it will eventually wear out as it's a common issue but for now it's working great.
Any chance of some pics please?
Old 09-11-16, 10:24 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was about to request pics too (if possible)
I have the same issue where my driver side sends out cold air at 28'c when the passenger side roasts the passenger. My servo on driver side makes a racket all the time and I am sure it needs to be changed.

Old 09-13-16, 04:11 PM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys, I only took one picture, of the actual servo. This is on the passenger side of the center console. It sits behind the black plastic heater vent that is held in by one screw on the bottom. Do a search for how to remove the glove box. Very simple job, took maybe 45 minutes.

Old 09-13-16, 06:45 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I only took one picture, of the actual servo. This is on the passenger side of the center console. It sits behind the black plastic heater vent that is held in by one screw on the bottom. Do a search for how to remove the glove box. Very simple job, took maybe 45 minutes.
That's alright. I wonder whether you were able to note down the part number. My driver's side one is dead. Yesterday I turned the heat up to maximum and got a blast from the arctic when it was 10'c outside.

I am sure i can get one off a toyota and plug in.