RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX -350 Alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 01:59 AM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey - there's a bracket that's also attached to the BACK of the alternator - I spent a good hour trying to yank the alt out before I looked at the new one and realised there's one more thing to remove.

Its on the BACK of it, towards the center of the engine, that's basically impossible to see from the top without a mirror or something. Its a smaller size bolt, 12 mm maybe?

So again, there are THREE mounting points for the alt - the two large bolts, and a small one on the back that attaches to a bracket that attaches to the engine.
Old 06-11-16, 04:16 PM
Peeteboy2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spawn818
Well, since this thread doesn't actually contain any useful information, I made an account to update it because I just did this for someone (on Easter Sunday night). Its kind of a pain. 2007 RX350

Drain the radiator, remove radiator fans, remove thermostat housing (by the belts), remove idler pulley, two big bolts for the alternator and also there's a small bracket on the rear of the alternator attached to the block (this had me stumped for an hour as the alt wouldn't come up, until I saw a threaded hole on the new alt and figured it out, visibility wasn't great, so I didn't see it easy).

Can you help me find the second bolt holding the ,what you call thermostat housing by the belts?
For the life of me I cant see how a second bolt could be accessed let alone finding it

Ya I know, this is something I should not be attempting but since I can get a mobile mechanic out here to finish if need be. I can save up to $700 dollars over Lexus service.
thanks
Old 06-11-16, 04:40 PM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Its going to be on the bottom of the housing. You won't really be able to see it, but you should be able to feel it. Just poke the socket until it goes on top of the bolt, you'll feel it. Taking it out is easier than putting that stupid little bolt back in, but it will be on the bottom towards the block.
Old 06-12-16, 10:37 AM
Peeteboy2
Driver School Candidate

Its going to be on the bottom of the housing. You won't really be able to see it, but you should be able to feel it. Just poke the socket until it goes on top of the bolt, you'll feel it. Taking it out is easier than putting that stupid little bolt back in, but it will be on the bottom towards the block.

Thanks spawn818.
at the bottom of the housing I see one bolt which I can easily see and remove but given its location Im assuming the opposing bolt is going to be approximately at the 1:00 o clock position which seems impossible.
I know Im missing something pretty obvious here.

Thanks again
Old 06-12-16, 11:05 AM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peeteboy2
Thanks spawn818.
at the bottom of the housing I see one bolt which I can easily see and remove but given its location Im assuming the opposing bolt is going to be approximately at the 1:00 o clock position which seems impossible.
I know Im missing something pretty obvious here.

Thanks again
text me a picture so I know we are talking about the same thing 818-300-9344

you're right, there are two bolts, one that you see, and the other is on the other side
Old 06-12-16, 02:03 PM
Peeteboy2
Driver School Candidate

text me a picture so I know we are talking about the same thing 818-300-9344

you're right, there are two bolts, one that you see, and the other is on the other side

Well once again I started whining before I started thinking.
Found my second nut on the thermostat housing.
Sorry to waste your time as Im sure Im going to have more legit questions in the very near future. Like, who knows a good mobile mechanic in my area?
I will save that question for the bitter end.
So now before I even get it back together im off to the classified section, For sale slightly liked 2007 Lexus RX350, New alternator and all...
Old 06-18-16, 05:12 PM
Peeteboy2
Driver School Candidate

Okay here is the true me. A hack.
I just replace the alternator on my 2007 Lexus RX 350 I did not remove the radiator or radiator brace upper brace everything else yes. I have one bowl left cannot for the life of me figure it out can anyone help I'll see if I can get a picture to load. Thank you
Old 06-18-16, 07:21 PM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peeteboy2
Okay here is the true me. A hack.
I just replace the alternator on my 2007 Lexus RX 350 I did not remove the radiator or radiator brace upper brace everything else yes. I have one bowl left cannot for the life of me figure it out can anyone help I'll see if I can get a picture to load. Thank you
look like a bolt that holds the bracket in the bracket on the alternator in the back? the other mounting bolts are bigger, but the back ones I remember being small
Old 06-18-16, 07:25 PM
Peeteboy2
Driver School Candidate

I guess it it could be and I got something wrong on the bracket in the back. Because the bracket has a stud coming out of the engine block so that's a nut that holds that part of the bracket on and then it's a bolt that goes into the alternator and I utilized the through hole through the mounting bolt hole for the lower part of the alternator maybe I did something wrong there so I have two bolts in the lower whole one from the front and one from the back they both tightened up nicely and they were heavier Duty than this one so I don't think this one would have it there anyway oh God I'm in trouble
Old 11-19-16, 05:07 PM
genedjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Can't get bolt out.

OK, I have seen a couple of videos and read a few posts and went to tackle the alternator replacement.
However, I am stuck trying to get the bottom bolt out of the engine torque plate that mounts to the engine out.
Here is a picture
Bolt hits wheel well and I can't get it out.
Any suggestions? Other than getting out the hole saw?
...gene
Old 11-19-16, 05:50 PM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by genedjr
OK, I have seen a couple of videos and read a few posts and went to tackle the alternator replacement.
However, I am stuck trying to get the bottom bolt out of the engine torque plate that mounts to the engine out.
Here is a picture
Bolt hits wheel well and I can't get it out.
Any suggestions? Other than getting out the hole saw?
...gene
engine torque plate.. what exactly are you referring to? its been a while but I remember taking out only the belt and pulley(tensioner pulley if I remmber?) , and thermostat housing. Not sure what you mean by the engine torque plate
Old 11-19-16, 06:24 PM
genedjr
Driver School Candidate

engine torque plate.. what exactly are you referring to? its been a while but I remember taking out only the belt and pulley(tensioner pulley if I remmber?) , and thermostat housing. Not sure what you mean by the engine torque plate
This is the top engine mount. There are three main pieces, a torque rod, the top of the engine mount, and the bottom piece. This needs to be removed before you can get to the thermostat housing.
...gene
Old 11-19-16, 06:57 PM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by genedjr
This is the top engine mount. There are three main pieces, a torque rod, the top of the engine mount, and the bottom piece. This needs to be removed before you can get to the thermostat housing.
...gene
mind posting a pic from a little further out, to refresh my memory? i do not remember anything being in the way of the thermostat, but its been a while and i worked on different cars since then. This is a 350 right, not 330?
Old 11-19-16, 09:51 PM
genedjr
Driver School Candidate

mind posting a pic from a little further out, to refresh my memory? i do not remember anything being in the way of the thermostat, but its been a while and i worked on different cars since then. This is a 350 right, not 330?
Yes, 2007 RX 350
Here is a pic of the disassembled torque arm and the top part of the engine mount.

Sorry for the poor quality, cell phones...
Here is a higher up picture of the engine bay

The circle on the left is the point where the torque arm mounts to the body.
The middle circle is the lower mount I am trying to get off.
The little circle to the right is the right side of the thermostat housing.

Last edited by genedjr; 11-19-16 at 10:09 PM. Reason: readability
Old 11-19-16, 10:20 PM
spawn818
Driver School Candidate

My man, you do not need to take the engine mount off.

You got me all confused, so I looked up the engine - 2007 RX350 should have the 2GR-FE engine, look at it from the side

The thermostat housing has TWO bolts - one that you see, and the one that you don't. The one that you don't see is accessible with a 1/4 using an extension. Just guide it in and feel around until you get on top of the bolt. There is space to get to it from the front of the thermostat with a socket on an extension.

Putting it back in can be a little tricky, but it only took me a couple minutes. I may have guided it in with a magnet, I don't remember. Taking it off was easy though. No need to touch the engine mount.

Quick Reply: 2007 RX -350 Alternator replacement