RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone used/installed the Techna Fit brake lines on their 05 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 03:03 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used/installed the Techna Fit brake lines on their 05 RX330?

Whats up everyone. Im interested in buying the Techna Fit stainless steel braided brake lines for my 05 RX330. Ive just changed brake pads and I just never did like the feel of the stock brakes. Just not grabby enough and you just have to mash all the way down to get any real braking. Sometimes it grabs good right away but most times it requires full on press of the brake pedal. Im thinking the Techna Fit brake lines will improve the feel a bit and maybe better pads. I use all Lexus OEM parts usually but Im not happy with the braking feel.

So:

1. Anyone tried the Techna Fit stainless steel brake lines yet?

2. Any proven suggestions [pad types, fluid etc] on improving braking feel other than the SS brake lines?

Heres the link to Techna Fits site for RX330. Not a bad price for all 4. You can get it for cheaper on Vividracings website.
http://www.technafitstore.com/TRUCK-...IT-p/30604.htm

Heres a link to Vividracing that has lines for all configuration 2nd gen RX330's:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/#...880-8--24.html

I did a search for Techna Fit in this forum and came up blank. Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by ZERO5RX330; 06-12-14 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 09:25 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Changing the brake lines will not improve braking.

Changing the brake fluid will not improve braking. Your brake fluid is DOT 3 and already synthetic. Just keep it changed as it should.

Changing to a drilled or slotted rotor will not make a major improvement in a one time stop. More designed to dissipate heat for repeated high speed stops. A good quality standard rotor designed for enhanced performance can provide much of the same benefit.

Your RX is not a track vehicle. Do not think you can change this leopard's spots.

Only brake pads give the biggest bang for the buck. Have a look at this thread, read all the way through:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-upgrade.html
Old 06-12-14, 10:14 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Changing the brake lines will not improve braking.

Changing the brake fluid will not improve braking. Your brake fluid is DOT 3 and already synthetic. Just keep it changed as it should.

Changing to a drilled or slotted rotor will not make a major improvement in a one time stop. More designed to dissipate heat for repeated high speed stops. A good quality standard rotor designed for enhanced performance can provide much of the same benefit.

Your RX is not a track vehicle. Do not think you can change this leopard's spots.

Only brake pads give the biggest bang for the buck. Have a look at this thread, read all the way through:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-upgrade.html
I appreciate your response but what part of my post led you to believe I was interested in drilled/slotted rotors, in making it a track car etc?????

Anyway I am trying to improve the spongy feel of the brake pedal. Sometimes it grabs and other times it just doesnt grab right away. Improving that wont make it a track car etc. I clearly said I want to improve the feel of the brakes not lap times or stopping distance lol.

I have had cars before that I have changed brake lines on and fluid and it did improve the feel of the brakes hence my inquiry on if anyone has used the Techna Fix lines in an RX before. Trust me I very well know the type of vehicle I drive sir but thanks
Old 06-12-14, 11:06 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZERO5RX330
I appreciate your response but what part of my post led you to believe I was interested in drilled/slotted rotors, in making it a track car etc?????
I went through the list of brake enhancements, requested or not. Take it or leave it. Besides, you left the question open in your "etc" request. I chose to include negative results in addition to positive.

2. Any proven suggestions [pad types, fluid etc] on improving braking feel other than the SS brake lines?
Many threads on the topic here at CL where folks talk about installing drilled/slotted rotors to improve braking where it is not a solution to many of their vehicle's deficiencies they are looking to address. Some braking systems are not linear in the stopping vs. brake pedal pressure applied. A more aggressive brake pad can help provide more initial bite if desired, though with trade-offs.

Do you know if your RX was part of the brake booster recall?

If braking is not consistent, I might spend a bit of time looking at the calipers to see that they behaving as they should. How was pad wear inside vs. outside when you changed? When you installed new pads did you perform any other inspections or maintenance to the caliper? How did the caliper boot look before you retracted it?

After that it is the master cylinder and the brake booster. There have been reported failures here.

Will assume you have flushed and bled the brake system. Just having clean fluid and properly bled solves many ills.

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time working on older vehicles, both on road and on track, I am confident in saying that stainless steel brake lines in themselves do not add much when comparing new to new. If your brake lines are showing signs of degradation then they would be an appropriate choice during a replacement. However, in conjunction with other changes, such as with a higher capacity and higher pressure master cylinder, then definitely yes. I have braided stainless steel brake lines on my Chevelle because it is old and sits quite a bit. They were changed out as a preventative measure.
Old 06-12-14, 11:27 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake feel has much to do with the transfer of fluid (or rather the ability of the fluid to transfer pressure). Check your master cylinder and your calipers. I personally would suspect the master cylinder compensating port for a partial blockage. Like RX330inFL, the brake lines wouldn't be my first priority. Secondly I would check if the booster is still doing its job as it should. Is the vacuum hose still properly attached?

Last edited by nipponbird; 06-12-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 01:10 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

I've installed the TechnaFit lines on my car, but unfortunately, it was alongside pad and rotor upgrades as well. If your car already has a lot of miles and a lot of braking (slightly different things) then the lines may well help. Fresh fluid will help as well under the aforementioned conditions.
Old 06-12-14, 02:34 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I went through the list of brake enhancements, requested or not. Take it or leave it. Besides, you left the question open in your "etc" request. I chose to include negative results in addition to positive.

You have to admit the tone of your post was as if you assumed what I wanted and you were scolding me lol hence my reply.

Many threads on the topic here at CL where folks talk about installing drilled/slotted rotors to improve braking where it is not a solution to many of their vehicle's deficiencies they are looking to address. Some braking systems are not linear in the stopping vs. brake pedal pressure applied. A more aggressive brake pad can help provide more initial bite if desired, though with trade-offs.

Do you know if your RX was part of the brake booster recall?

If braking is not consistent, I might spend a bit of time looking at the calipers to see that they behaving as they should. How was pad wear inside vs. outside when you changed? When you installed new pads did you perform any other inspections or maintenance to the caliper? How did the caliper boot look before you retracted it?

After that it is the master cylinder and the brake booster. There have been reported failures here.

Will assume you have flushed and bled the brake system. Just having clean fluid and properly bled solves many ills.

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time working on older vehicles, both on road and on track, I am confident in saying that stainless steel brake lines in themselves do not add much when comparing new to new. If your brake lines are showing signs of degradation then they would be an appropriate choice during a replacement. However, in conjunction with other changes, such as with a higher capacity and higher pressure master cylinder, then definitely yes. I have braided stainless steel brake lines on my Chevelle because it is old and sits quite a bit. They were changed out as a preventative measure.
I just had my entire brake system looked over and it got a clean bill of health. New fluids and pads and rotors as well but that spongy feel remains. This thread was more as a last ditch effort to find a way to give the brake pedal a more purposeful feel. And the lines are cheap. I have put lines on my sports cars before in the past with good success and I assumed they may help the RX. I used to 1/4 mile a bit etc but maybe not as knowledgeable as you are on the braking systems but I definitely felt a noticeable difference in pedal feel for example, on my old 350z that I had brand new. My vehicle is high millage just hitting 90k so maybe a change in lines might make a difference?

I have no idea if my RX is part of the booster recall but I will check into to it. Thanks for the heads up RX.

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Brake feel has much to do with the transfer of fluid (or rather the ability of the fluid to transfer pressure). Check your master cylinder and your calipers. I personally would suspect the master cylinder compensating port for a partial blockage. Like RX330inFL, the brake lines wouldn't be my first priority. Secondly I would check if the booster is still doing its job as it should. Is the vacuum hose still properly attached?
Nipponbird thanks. I just got the system checked out and according to mechanic everything is working great. It is a high millage vehicle so maybe next pad change I will look into changing the booster and master cylinder to see if that helps. It could be as what you said about a partial blockage and the mechanic probably overlooked it since everything else seems to be fine.

Originally Posted by ho0n
I've installed the TechnaFit lines on my car, but unfortunately, it was alongside pad and rotor upgrades as well. If your car already has a lot of miles and a lot of braking (slightly different things) then the lines may well help. Fresh fluid will help as well under the aforementioned conditions.
Thanks ho0n. Yes its high millage vehicle but everything appeared to check out normal at the mechanic. Since the brake lines are cheap price-wise I think I will go ahead and purchase them. They cant hurt but if they don't improve the feel I will follow some of the suggestions RX and Nipponbird mentioned about the booster etc at my next pad change..

Last edited by ZERO5RX330; 06-12-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:14 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Master cylinder and booster. There is your answer friend. Change those or fix them and your issue will be resolved.
Old 06-12-14, 10:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I have no idea if my RX is part of the booster recall but I will check into to it. Thanks for the heads up RX.
Have you registered your RX with Lexus on their owner's web site? Just have your VIN available:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

There is a My Lexus tab and under it you will see Safety Recalls and Service Campaigns.. If it doesn't show anything it just means they have already been taken care of for your vehicle or there were none in the first place.
Old 06-13-14, 03:55 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Htown thanks. Ill have a different mechanic check it out in a few week. If it one of these things you guys mentioned maybe its not the best course of action to wait till next pad change as I was going to do. RX I will check that out asap thx.
Old 06-13-14, 12:20 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Zero, PM me. Where in NY are you? If you're close by, I'll let you drive my car a little to see if you can notice any difference.

Also, it also occurred to me that another possible reason you feel like the brakes underperform is that the suspension on this car is specified for comfort.
Old 06-14-14, 10:56 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by ho0n
Zero, PM me. Where in NY are you? If you're close by, I'll let you drive my car a little to see if you can notice any difference.

Also, it also occurred to me that another possible reason you feel like the brakes underperform is that the suspension on this car is specified for comfort.
Hey Hoon thanks for the offer but I'm going to go ahead and just change the booster and master cylinder next week. Its not underperforming that I have a problem with. It is the "feel" of the braking. As I said before the car stops fine its just the inconsistent grabbiness to spongy feel of the pedal etc that I am trying to cure.. It was never the best feeling when I bought it used and I have driven a few other RX330 including an RX350 and they felt a bit better. Definitely not looking for sports car feel just a more consistant brake feel, that is if I can achieve it with some upgraded hardware.
Old 06-15-14, 10:07 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Zero,

Before you go changing parts, have the system fluid changed and your brakes bled thoroughly. This could easily be the cause. Frothy fluid or air in the system might be your culprit.
Old 06-15-14, 12:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Before you go changing parts, have the system fluid changed and your brakes bled thoroughly. This could easily be the cause. Frothy fluid or air in the system might be your culprit.
Why I asked if this vehicle was part of the recall because this is exactly the result which could occur from a bad booster or such as you describe.
Old 06-16-14, 02:14 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Thanks Htown but like I said above all that was done already and my entire braking system was given a clean bill of health that's why I was considering the brake lines as a last resort. After considering everything said by all you guys I want a second opinion on my braking system by another mechanic with a view to possibly changing out the booster/master if it may fix my issue. Believe me I won't spend the money unless I have to.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used/installed the Techna Fit brake lines on their 05 RX330?