RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AC compressor Wine? and lights on dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 04:14 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default AC compressor Wine? and lights on dash

Just noticed at low speed I hear a winning noise. Turned the AC button off and it went away. THen while on and driving a few lights came on the dash.
Turned the car off and back on lights gone.. NO check engine light on either..

Some morning when I turn on the car I hear a chirp which sounds like the AC belts.

All the belts have been replaced a couple thousand miles ago.

Would all the lights on the dash light up if the ac compressor is going? or sticking?
Attached Thumbnails AC compressor Wine? and lights on dash-060614-1707.jpg  
Old 06-06-14, 07:58 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to plug an ODB-II scanner in and check for the trouble codes. Many auto supply stores will do this for free. Although it is most likely the A/C that is causing the problem, without the specific code to narrow it down we would be just guessing.
Old 06-06-14, 10:10 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Rainbird, if his belts were the cause, no code reader would tell him. It would not be a bad idea to check for codes, but I am guessing he has 1 of 2 problems.

1- his belts are loose. The belt that is adjusted by the alternator adjustment bracket is the same belt going around the AC compressor. If that belt is loose, you would experience noise on start up. And at low idle.

2- your a/c clutch is going out and possibly sticking and releasing. You would likely notice a performance issue with your AC and your charging system (alternator). My guess is this might be the cause. Due to the numerous lights that came on. Check your belts carefully friend. Make sure they are tight.

Lastly, your alternator could be out or going out. I would check that as well just to be safe. If the whine come and goes with the act being off or on, then it is certainly belt related some how. Belt, AC clutch, or alternator issue. Start there and report back.
Old 06-06-14, 11:01 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Nice very detailed. Much appreciated
I will start by getting the alternator checked by advance auto parts ( I think they do a free check)
THen check if any codes were thrown (don't think so because the check engine light is on)
And check the belts
Is there a way to tighten the belts? THought there was a tentioner on it? or do I tighten the tentioner

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Rainbird, if his belts were the cause, no code reader would tell him. It would not be a bad idea to check for codes, but I am guessing he has 1 of 2 problems.

1- his belts are loose. The belt that is adjusted by the alternator adjustment bracket is the same belt going around the AC compressor. If that belt is loose, you would experience noise on start up. And at low idle.

2- your a/c clutch is going out and possibly sticking and releasing. You would likely notice a performance issue with your AC and your charging system (alternator). My guess is this might be the cause. Due to the numerous lights that came on. Check your belts carefully friend. Make sure they are tight.

Lastly, your alternator could be out or going out. I would check that as well just to be safe. If the whine come and goes with the act being off or on, then it is certainly belt related some how. Belt, AC clutch, or alternator issue. Start there and report back.
Old 06-07-14, 07:59 AM
Henry2024
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem to have a lot of issues with your 2005 RX 330 with only 90K miles. Its beginning to worry me about the future of my 07 RX 350 with 80K miles.
Old 06-07-14, 08:45 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

So far
The only things were the
Cup holder sticking
The dust boot broken on the steering rack.
And now this isolated event. Has not happened again so i am hoping the belt is just loose.
Old 06-08-14, 08:03 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the drive belts were recently installed that is likely your issue. The belts will stretch and cause squealing and battery light to turn on. Have the ac/alt belt re adjusted.
Old 06-08-14, 10:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes you adjust the belt at the alternator. Loosen the cross bolt at the rear of the alternator. Loosen the bolt running left to right at the alternator bracket. Loosen the end bolt (long bolt) at the bracket to loosen the belt, tighten this bolt to tighten the belt. YouTube the procedure for details.

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Nice very detailed. Much appreciated
I will start by getting the alternator checked by advance auto parts ( I think they do a free check)
THen check if any codes were thrown (don't think so because the check engine light is on)
And check the belts
Is there a way to tighten the belts? THought there was a tentioner on it? or do I tighten the tentioner