RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need your help to decide my Lexus's destiny

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 06:50 PM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help to decide my Lexus's destiny

Hi All,

I currently have a 2007 Rx350 with 78k on it. In 2012, one cylinder misfired and the ignition coil was replaced ($600). In 2013, engine was overheating and water pump and belt was replaced ($750). Just today, engine and VSC lights came on. Looks like primary and secondary ignition coils failed and something about ABS as well. Have to wait til tomorrow to know the exact problem and cost. I do my own maintenance and it's only 78k. Just frustrated w the car and won't be able to trust it anymore. What do you guys think? Should I trade in for another car or keep it? Thx for any advices.
Old 05-21-14, 07:08 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Lynniz.

Minimal repairs will be much cheaper than new car payments. The early RX350 are now known here to have issues with ignition coils and O2 sensors going early. Water pumps failures are rare. That $600 to replace one ignition coil is a bit high depending on which one went bad. The ones up front are very easy to replace.

Would wait to see what error is being shown by the OBDII scanner and let us know. We can tell you how bad things are. Any big box auto parts shop will read those for you for free, no need to go do the dealership.

How is the vehicle otherwise?

Ignition coils are the same as those in the same engined Highlander and RAV4 V6. Would not recommend using a third-party as we have seen those replacements fail. If that is the problem again the folks here will give you suggestions on where to grab an official Toyota/Lexus part.
Old 05-21-14, 10:21 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Wow, looks like you got a lemon there. My 2007 RX 350 with 80K has experienced none of the problems you've had. I would trade it in, because after you have this problem fixed, another one crops up...that's how lemons are.

Just curious though, I thought the 3.5 liter engines didn't have a timing belt, but they have a timing chain? And to replace it would cost a lot more than $750.
Old 05-22-14, 04:09 AM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RX330inFL. The primary and secondary ignition coils w ABS errors were returned by the scanner. I didn't copy down the exact codes. I had to drop the car off to the nearest shop because the car started to shake and the engine light was flashing. I will let you know when I find out more info this morning. Otherwise the car is ok, but again I didn't expect the water pump to go bad either. Just don't know what else is coming.
Old 05-22-14, 04:12 AM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Henry 2024. I agree w your point, but not looking forward for a new car payment. It wasn't the timing belt, it's the serpentine belt.
Old 05-22-14, 06:20 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have found that one step to decrease ignition coil failure is to use dielectric grease between coil pack and spark plug. Also please note only use NGK or Denso Iridium spark plugs. Washing the engine compartment with water is another no no. Moisture in the cap between the coil and plug builds corrosion which stresses the coil for firing the plugs. As for keeping car, I would, much cheaper than car payments.
Old 05-22-14, 07:20 AM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Found out the code to be P0302 and P0352. The mechanic said the second ignition needs to be replaced and getting a quote for me. Seems like it's always ignition cool problem, does it make sense to replace all of them this time?

Thanks Thomas1 for the tip. I'm just afraid to have more problems after this fix and the repair bill eventually is equal to a down payment or something.
Old 05-22-14, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have not heard a lot of problems with RX Ignition coils. Your unit seems to be an aberration. Get a 2nd opinion. Is this a Lexus dealer doing the work for you?
Old 05-22-14, 09:03 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lynniz
Found out the code to be P0302 and P0352. The mechanic said the second ignition needs to be replaced and getting a quote for me. Seems like it's always ignition cool problem, does it make sense to replace all of them this time?

Thanks Thomas1 for the tip. I'm just afraid to have more problems after this fix and the repair bill eventually is equal to a down payment or something.
Doing this from memory, but I believe this would be the front left ignition coil. No more than 10 minutes to replace from start to finish.

No real need to replace all. Just do them as they are a problem until you get to the point in time when the spark plugs need replaced. That is 120K miles. At that point in time, the rears should be replaced with the latest part number through Toyota. The fronts, as mentioned, are easy to get to and you can do those at any time of your choosing.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...918&cc=1433555
Old 05-22-14, 11:12 AM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Doing this from memory, but I believe this would be the front left ignition coil. No more than 10 minutes to replace from start to finish.

No real need to replace all. Just do them as they are a problem until you get to the point in time when the spark plugs need replaced. That is 120K miles. At that point in time, the rears should be replaced with the latest part number through Toyota. The fronts, as mentioned, are easy to get to and you can do those at any time of your choosing.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...918&cc=1433555
The mechanic quoted $130 for the OEM coil. Called Lexus directly, the price is $140. Online is $78. I will just replace this one and see what happens next. Thanks!
Old 05-22-14, 11:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The mechanic quoted $130 for the OEM coil. Called Lexus directly, the price is $140. Online is $78. I will just replace this one and see what happens next. Thanks!
Yes, just make sure you get Denso/Toyota as mentioned before. You can go to the big box auto parts shop for a Permatex dielectric grease pack to use. They are normally at the register. A thin coat will do. You may need to get the code cleared for the lights to go away.

Later, when you need spark plugs you can worry about those in the rear. Not easy getting to those plugs and you may want a shop to perform that work. The local Toyota or independent shop will do. Denso or NGK plugs as previously mentioned are also noted in your Owner's Manual.

Any time you get these problems, do not hesitate to go to the parts store to have them hook up a scan tool to read the codes and post them here for ideas. Or, you can purchase your own scan tool. Does not need to be fancy. You will hopefully find your RX350 to be more reliable than you once feared and for some of these problems you can perform the work yourself.

Come back and let us know how things go.
Old 05-22-14, 12:55 PM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

Yes, just make sure you get Denso/Toyota as mentioned before. You can go to the big box auto parts shop for a Permatex dielectric grease pack to use. They are normally at the register. A thin coat will do. You may need to get the code cleared for the lights to go away.

Later, when you need spark plugs you can worry about those in the rear. Not easy getting to those plugs and you may want a shop to perform that work. The local Toyota or independent shop will do. Denso or NGK plugs as previously mentioned are also noted in your Owner's Manual.

Any time you get these problems, do not hesitate to go to the parts store to have them hook up a scan tool to read the codes and post them here for ideas. Or, you can purchase your own scan tool. Does not need to be fancy. You will hopefully find your RX350 to be more reliable than you once feared and for some of these problems you can perform the work yourself.

Come back and let us know how things go.
Thanks RX330FL. Jus got a quote from this mechanic. Lower than expected. $400 for one ignition coil change, synthic oil change, change all the spark plugs, and all the labors. Ignition coil and labor is $223. Should I change the spark plugs now? He said it could be a cause to the misfire.
Old 05-22-14, 01:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks RX330FL. Jus got a quote from this mechanic. Lower than expected. $400 for one ignition coil change, synthic oil change, change all the spark plugs, and all the labors. Ignition coil and labor is $223. Should I change the spark plugs now? He said it could be a cause to the misfire.
No, that is not a good deal for just that one coil. You saw the part price. If it is truly the front coil then it is a very quick job to change out. Any competent tech can do very quickly. You mentioned you do your own maintenance. Do you think you can perform this task? If not, then would just get the one coil done. They are charging you one hour of labor, more than likely, along with the part and shop fees. I would make sure they are using a Toyota brand part and not a third-party for that price. Should have a Toyota logo on the box.

Doubtful it is a plug and if you are going to change out the rear plugs at this point in time you might as well change out the rear ignition coils as well as those are the hard ones to get at and be done with it. You have to remove the ignition coils to get to the spark plugs.

Ask to see the parts and boxes of the items going in and to see the parts coming off if you are there at the shop as best possible.

I am not sure this shop is aware of the trials and tribulations on getting to the rear plugs as the quote for all the work seems a bit low to be honest. Is this a Toyota dealership by chance or just an independent shop?
Old 05-22-14, 01:39 PM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

No, that is not a good deal for just that one coil. You saw the part price. If it is truly the front coil then it is a very quick job to change out. Any competent tech can do very quickly. You mentioned you do your own maintenance. Do you think you can perform this task? If not, then would just get the one coil done. They are charging you one hour of labor, more than likely, along with the part and shop fees. I would make sure they are using a Toyota brand part and not a third-party for that price. Should have a Toyota logo on the box.

Doubtful it is a plug and if you are going to change out the rear plugs at this point in time you might as well change out the rear ignition coils as well as those are the hard ones to get at and be done with it. You have to remove the ignition coils to get to the spark plugs.

Ask to see the parts and boxes of the items going in and to see the parts coming off if you are there at the shop as best possible.

I am not sure this shop is aware of the trials and tribulations on getting to the rear plugs as the quote for all the work seems a bit low to be honest. Is this a Toyota dealership by chance or just an independent shop?
This is an independent shop. That's what I thought too. Price is on the low end for changing the plugs and the coil out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-22-14, 01:40 PM
Lynniz
Driver School Candidate

I have only done oil change and brakes before. I haven't look into how to do the spark plugs. I probably don't have the proper tools either.

Quick Reply: Need your help to decide my Lexus's destiny