RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Overdue response to Bamboo Paint PM's

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 12:29 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overdue response to Bamboo Paint PM's

So I haven't been on the forum in forever. Last time I logged on I noticed I had three extremely old PM's related to the Bamboo Paint Fade issue that a lot of you have gone through on door handles and mirrors.

I figured I would post my experience to help you get the best results possible.

I have had a few customers who have come in and expressed their concern for the paint issue.

While this may seem common sense, here is the best approach:

1. Ask your service adviser to have the technician take a look at the concerned area, i.e. mirrors, handles. Tell them you noticed it looked as if the clear coat had come off, etc. More than likely you will get an estimate for replacing the handles, mirrors, etc.

2. Don't freak out at the cost.

3. Call 1-800-25-LEXUS and start a case. Be polite and courteous as this can surprisingly help a lot when getting National to cover/goodwill your repair.

4. Let them know you have read about similar issues related to this, and thought there may have been a fix, but you hadn't found any service bulletins related to this issue. (This is important because you will then let whoever is helping you know that you're aware of the problem...)

5. They will more than likely contact you with an offer to help take care of the issue. (This is a gray area, mainly because one of the factors they look at is your relationship with Lexus. They will look at NSH, or National Service History, to examine if you are using the dealership to have your routine maintenance done, etc.) The ugly truth is that someone who never goes to the dealership may be less likely to receive assistance.

I know all of this sounds extremely common sense, but it does help to have the dealership provide you with an estimate prior to calling National in order to receive help.

I wish I had a surefire way to help everyone with this issue, but this is the best advice I can give.
Old 05-19-14, 03:28 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, thanks.
Old 05-26-14, 05:32 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

I just picked a 400h with some clear coat fading issues in a couple of posts. The cars black. The dealer I bought it from had it waxed by someone without a brain. They used a high speed orbital waxer and burned through the clear coat in a couple of places.

I have service appointment setup for tomorrow. Will see what the estimate is...
Old 05-28-14, 04:17 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip and the info.

Would if matter if you went to multiple dealerships, a single dealership or just the fact you had service at Lexus dealership is all that matters. (Toyota Service Centers do not add you to the Lexus database or at least the online version).

I have the Bamboo color and considering a plastic film on the mirrors. I'm hoping that this will protect the clear coat rather than the adhesive pulling up the clear coat or making it weaker.
Old 05-28-14, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The Bamboo Pearl color sucks. I have these areas fade:

Side mirrors (2) Fortunately replaced under warranty on mechanical issue

Door Garnishes (horizontal garnish) I have 2 in decent and 2 faded, it is about $80 to replace each. And I can not even find the color...except it says "olive"

Back door trim, below chrome trim Replaced once before for faded color within the 48 months

Door handles, all 4 Replaced once before for faded color within the 48 months

The trim parts are painted by the suppliers and more than likely are not up to snuff on the specifications. Still you would think Toyota would make sure. The Bamboo Color itself could be the issue, hence it never came back.

It looks good while new, but fades the heck out.

I still love mine. But will probably get the hood re-painted. It suffered the UV and elements after it got booted out of the garage. I wish I had a 4 car garage! Yeah right...if I can afford a 4 car garage, I will just buy a new RX! LOL!
Old 05-28-14, 04:12 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I painted my 4 door handles and the side mirrors. Not perfect but better than what I received on the vehicle.
Old 05-29-14, 06:03 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I need to do this for my door garnish and the rear trim garnish, how and where did you get the paint?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-14, 05:14 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Thanks for the tip and the info.

Would if matter if you went to multiple dealerships, a single dealership or just the fact you had service at Lexus dealership is all that matters. (Toyota Service Centers do not add you to the Lexus database or at least the online version).

I have the Bamboo color and considering a plastic film on the mirrors. I'm hoping that this will protect the clear coat rather than the adhesive pulling up the clear coat or making it weaker.
Lexus has a NSH database, or National Service History.

That means any Lexus dealer you go to will show in the NSH no matter who you went to...

That way if you move to another city/state, you don't need to worry about your records
Old 05-30-14, 05:38 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I need to do this for my door garnish and the rear trim garnish, how and where did you get the paint?

Thanks.
https://touchupdirect.com/
This is where I got mine. Quick shipping, matches well. Too soon to tell if it is the answer, though.
Old 06-12-14, 07:08 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusLadi
I just picked a 400h with some clear coat fading issues in a couple of posts. The cars black. The dealer I bought it from had it waxed by someone without a brain. They used a high speed orbital waxer and burned through the clear coat in a couple of places.

I have service appointment setup for tomorrow. Will see what the estimate is...

Update:

NO DICE

1, My dealer which shall remain nameless at the moment. Said that I should get it re-cleared.

2, I have come to find out that the car has been repainted. Bummer. As I was under the impression that had not been only for a small rear section. All of the panels are original but the car has been entirely re-cleared at some point in time...
Old 09-26-14, 09:15 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another +1 for touchupdirect .com, I was very skeptical because I bought the one from Sewell and that did not match at all. This one, following the directions, it's a pretty good match. Not perfect but it's real close.