RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Who uses the roof rack on their RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 12:29 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who uses the roof rack on their RX

I searched the threads, but cannot really find something that answers the question, The RX is delivered with a roof racks ( at least roof rails, but mine came with cross bars as well, which Lexus advised me to remove for better fuel consumption) , but why? Is anyone going to load a lot of stuff on his 80k RX's roof? Well, if your'e the owner of a 110-series Land Rover, it looks cool to have that canvas thing on the roof packed with a roof top tent and what have you, with a couple of jerry cans stacked on the side, but certainly you're not going to impress anyone with that on your RX. There are certain countries in which they will buy an RX, just because it has a roof rack, but Lexus is not even presented in those countries. Of course one is grateful for anything that's thrown into the bargain, but it does seem like a carry-over from the halcyon days of hard core SUV's, but how did the roof rack survived and not the rear door mounted spare wheel? Anyone out there, who has used the roof rack?
What do you find the effect on fuel consumption? A towing hitch was not included in the deal, when I purchased mine, wouldn't that be a more realistic "gift" than a roof rack? Or is it to sort of round the vehicle off? I know it is not a 'real' roof rack, like on a Land Rover 110-series, but that's even worse, then it's for cosmetic purposes, but that's not what the Owner's Manual says. I know nobody will ask Lexus to bin the roof rack from now on, but still, why is it there?

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-11-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 12:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Many of us here at 2nd Generation RX have done a "roof rack delete" and are running naked up top. Carver's ride is a good example of a picture to show the result.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6592176-post5.html

Mine is in storage. Sewell made a kit available to ease acquiring the parts needed:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/2422.html

Never used mine. Have not noticed any differences in MPG after its removal. Too many other variables.

Believe most all RX here in the US got the roof rack even though it was an option in the beginning. The only exception were those with the panoramic sunroof.
Old 05-11-14, 02:23 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a roof rack on my Dodge Caravan and Honda CR-V. Only ever used it one time, and the downside of it is the wind noise it makes on the highway. It probably affects gas mileage to some degree. I bought my RX 350 used, and the dealer had taken it off. The parts are stored in my garage, and I don't plan on putting it on. I like the reduction in wind noise.
Old 05-12-14, 10:31 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a enclosed thule cargo box on my wifes rx350 roof cross rails when we travel and a 4 bike yamika hitch rack.. It barely affects mpg. the rx is a brick with or without the cargo box I get about the same mpg on the hwy maybe 1 mpg less with . You notice the weight on circular hwy ramps as it is more top heavy. and the weight off the rear bike rack can cause a slight up down bucking when you go on or off a bridge joint. The rx is a suv and I use it as one. My ls430 gets 27-28 on the hwy at 70 mph and her car gets 22-23 on a good day with a tailwind. .
Old 05-12-14, 11:12 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by groomerz
I put a enclosed thule cargo box on my wifes rx350 roof cross rails when we travel and a 4 bike yamika hitch rack.. It barely affects mpg. the rx is a brick with or without the cargo box I get about the same mpg on the hwy maybe 1 mpg less with . You notice the weight on circular hwy ramps as it is more top heavy. and the weight off the rear bike rack can cause a slight up down bucking when you go on or off a bridge joint. The rx is a suv and I use it as one. My ls430 gets 27-28 on the hwy at 70 mph and her car gets 22-23 on a good day with a tailwind. .
Suppose a proper test is needed before one can determine what would be best: Say 200Kg on the roof or 200Kg on a trailer (given that the trailer is very light) . Which of the two will have the least effect on handling and fuel consumption. Which brings me back to the question: Why a roof rack and not a towing hitch as standard equipment. Given that the roof rack is by now a trade mark of the RX.
Of course a trailer setup can be much more expensive than a roof rack plus cargo box, but a towing hitch opens up possibilities not inherent in a roof rack. I have towed a lot of trailers from one to two metric ton
(not with my RX) and given the necessary caution, gave little problem.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-12-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-12-14, 11:30 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, when looking for a SUV these days I would be looking for a towing option package and a trailer hitch instead of putting something up on the roof. Allows you the option of going to the local U-Haul and grabbing one of their small cargo trailers or even an open utility trailer depending on your needs without having to purchase and store anything. Even makes trips for landscaping supplies that much easier instead of having bags of dirt and mulch inside your RX.

You can even get a smaller cargo box to hang off the back from places like Harbor Freight for those smaller trips and it stores easily.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ier-69688.html
Old 05-12-14, 11:59 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

A friend of mine says one hack of a sure way to see if the AT oil temp warning light on your RX, is still working, is to tow a twin horse box up a mountain pass, but then you can't put two horses on the roof either. Why can't our benevolent uncles at Lexus not throw in a tow hitch plus the roof rack. The roof rack just for show or as some relic from the good old days of tough
SUV's?
Old 05-13-14, 08:26 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Is anyone going to load a lot of stuff on his 80k RX's roof?
Impossible to say. Probably. Why not focus on whether you're going to use them or not? It's certainly not unique to the RX. Take a look at all the various crossovers out there with unused roof racks.

Originally Posted by nipponbird
A towing hitch was not included in the deal, when I purchased mine, wouldn't that be a more realistic "gift" than a roof rack?
For those that tow, yes. Not everyone tows either. You can't just assume that what's most useful to you is most useful to everyone. If you need it then get it.

Last edited by takeshi74; 05-13-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 04:28 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

I use mine all the time. It's for people that know how to use them. I've loaded 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall up there as well as lumber. Plus got a big box that won't fit inside, throw it on the roof.
Old 05-14-14, 11:58 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Car manufacturers don't slap anything on a car that's not absolutely necessary. An extra emblem that costs One USD equals 200,000 USD per 200,000 cars produced. If they do slap on something, they therefore include it in the price, they're not in the charity business after all. So, you actually pay for those roof rails, Just wondering if it helps to sell the RX350, otherwise they could've thrown something more desirable into the bargain.
Old 05-18-14, 07:48 PM
MNSC3
Driver

I just bought a 20' extension ladder at Lowe's, strapped it on top and took off, easy as can be, love it. How much mileage would you really gain ?
Old 05-18-14, 11:06 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by MNSC3
I just bought a 20' extension ladder at Lowe's, strapped it on top and took off, easy as can be, love it. How much mileage would you really gain ?
If I want to haul stuff on my roof rack, that's what the roof rack on the van or honda is for.
Old 05-19-14, 01:30 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

The odd plank or canoe is still fine, but when it gets to the chicken coup (with a resident rooster) and mattress, I think the stuffed shirts at Lexus will start worrying about the wisdom of throwing a roof rack into the deal. Guess it would just not rhyme with their image. On the other hand it was sort of just the thing in the olden days to scoot down to the coast in your BMW 325i, with a surfing board strapped to the roof (guess a lot of those guys couldn't even swim, let alone surf, but it did wonders to draw some female stares)

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-19-14 at 04:05 AM.