RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Steering wheel is stiff & not returning to center after turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 03:33 AM
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel is stiff & not returning to center after turn

Hey Folks not sure if anyone else has had this problem as I recently purchased a used RX 330 with 110k miles. The previous owner replaced the power steering rack(@95k miles) and had realignment all done at the Lexus dealer at a cost of $1,800. Before I purchased the car my mechanic noticed a small leak in the power steering pressure line and he advised to have it replaced but nothing urgent. I've been checking the power steering fluid reservoir the last weeks which has been at the max level.

Not sure if the stiffness and the steering wheel not returning to center could be related to the high pressure line or do I have a power steering pump issue or something else..?
Old 05-11-14, 06:51 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a steering issue that was due to a rusted steering u-joint. The replacement in a dealer solved that issue. If you're in NJ that uses road salt, the u-joint may also be a cause.
Old 05-11-14, 08:02 AM
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex_rx
I had a steering issue that was due to a rusted steering u-joint. The replacement in a dealer solved that issue. If you're in NJ that uses road salt, the u-joint may also be a cause.
Thanks Lex from reading some older posts it seems like a common issue. How much did the dealership charge? Perhaps oiling the u joint would be an option...
Old 05-11-14, 10:17 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can always try the $5 solution first, which I did. However, it didn't work in my case and since I'm sharing the car with a new driver in the family, it was a "safety" issue for me and had to get it done.

I don't remember the exact price but I think it was around C$400 parts and labor. I think it's part 45202 in this diagram.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html
Old 05-11-14, 01:04 PM
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex_rx
You can always try the $5 solution first, which I did. However, it didn't work in my case and since I'm sharing the car with a new driver in the family, it was a "safety" issue for me and had to get it done.

I don't remember the exact price but I think it was around C$400 parts and labor. I think it's part 45202 in this diagram.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html
Thanks so much we also have a new driver so we'll definitely want to get this fixed properly.
Old 05-15-14, 05:01 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like what I just experienced...intermittent stiffness at certain steering wheel angles and doesn't want to return to center.

Like others have mentioned, it was the u-joint on the intermediate steering shaft sub-assy. I sprayed initially with wd-40 and it loosened immediately.

I greased it and the steering feels better than it's felt in 70,000 miles. It's very tight with no looseness right off-center that even before the u-joint issue had been noticeable for years. The slight off-center looseness just always seemed characteristic of my RX and every other 2nd gen RX I had ever driven.

Anyway...it was the best nearly free fix for any of my vehicles ever.
Old 05-15-14, 07:04 PM
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Formula271
Sounds like what I just experienced...intermittent stiffness at certain steering wheel angles and doesn't want to return to center.

Like others have mentioned, it was the u-joint on the intermediate steering shaft sub-assy. I sprayed initially with wd-40 and it loosened immediately.

I greased it and the steering feels better than it's felt in 70,000 miles. It's very tight with no looseness right off-center that even before the u-joint issue had been noticeable for years. The slight off-center looseness just always seemed characteristic of my RX and every other 2nd gen RX I had ever driven.

Anyway...it was the best nearly free fix for any of my vehicles ever.
Thank you for your comment. My mechanic just replaced the u joint and the steering is now perfect. I was hoping he could oil it but he claimed the u joint was frozen. It cost $650 and with a my daughter just beginning to drive I'm glad to have it corrected.!