RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Handling of the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 01:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I can't believe what I'm reading here, it's almost like reading the Dutch have a right wing problem. I've always been overwhelmed by the good handling on my RX and I owned car's that's renowned for handling like Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Porsche several BMW's and Merc's. We have mountain passes that can make your stomach turn. I have Bridgestone Dueler on 18" rims and my RX is not new, it's got 145000Km on the clock. What are you guys talking about? Have I missed something? Will my RX suddenly lose grip like a 1961 VW Bug? Never got that impression.
You have to go back to the beginning of this thread to see how this progressed. At this point the posts are just getting absurd for the lack of anything substantial to say on the matter.
Old 04-30-14, 02:10 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
You have to go back to the beginning of this thread to see how this progressed. At this point the posts are just getting absurd for the lack of anything substantial to say on the matter.
I know what you mean by saying I must read the thread: it is not everybody's contention that the RX (2nd generation) handles like a tea trolley. But I cannot in my wildest flight of imagination think how can anybody complain about handling on this vehicle. Unless there's something seriously wrong with a certain batch. It is almost like starting a thread here to say Arnie is a weakling.
Old 04-30-14, 03:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I know what you mean by saying I must read the thread: it is not everybody's contention that the RX (2nd generation) handles like a tea trolley. But I cannot in my wildest flight of imagination think how can anybody complain about handling on this vehicle. Unless there's something seriously wrong with a certain batch. It is almost like starting a thread here to say Arnie is a weakling.
It is all a matter of perspective. The OP liked a few of the RX he drove but could not provide enough details for us to make a determination of why they were not all to his liking. His comments about the rest driving like a broken down Buick was probably taking things a bit far in regards to the comparison. (See post #16.)

Most here just brushed off the questions and comments the OP was making. The comments were something that didn't sound plausible and/or not in the spirit of the RX. Unless something is broken the RX should not handle in a dangerous manner. Sure, there is body lean which it to be expected of a tall wagon such as the RX. My guess is that the OP was test driving RX with the 17" wheels and perhaps low tire pressures exacerbating the handling characteristics. When things get out of sorts all the nanny devices kick in to reign in the RX. Nothing was mentioned about those, so even more a reason to dismiss the poor handling comments. What the OP considers "dangerously poor" I might consider to be the markings of a poor driver who is either driving above the capabilities of the vehicle or beyond their own capabilities.

And, lexsc4 was just having fun with taking things to an absurd level. Still, if there was such as vehicle as described I would be in line to purchase one.
Old 04-30-14, 03:32 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's fairly common car forum troll behavior; new guy shows up, says he tried your cars and they suck and wants the fan boys to explain why they don't suck. The point is to stir up the denizens and watch them hop around defending their babies. Never feed the trolls!
Old 04-30-14, 05:42 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

And, lexsc4 was just having fun with taking things to an absurd level. Still, if there was such as vehicle as described I would be in line to purchase one.

I just wipped out the check book and ready to buy two, one for my wife and daugther.

All joking aside, I am glad someone finally got my sarcasm.

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)
Old 04-30-14, 11:34 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I was actually quite apprehensive when I bought the RX350, having been a staunch believer that the Germans are the leaders in car manufacturing. I'm after all from father side from German descent. About one of the first things that impressed me however, was the handling on the RX. Well after having driven the RX on several extensive road trips, I doubt if I'll go back to the German trio. Would like to try a Audi Q7 though, but not feeling an obsession to do it.
Deep down I enjoyed this thread, especially with the guys getting whipped into shape about their spelling! That was really something to brighten up the day.
Old 04-30-14, 11:52 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

To be honest the RX350 is not much of a handler. But reliability counts a lot these days, experience from owning a 540i before. Although I wouldn't mind driving the new Porsche Macan, if I am willing to paid the the high maint cost.

Lexsc4
Old 05-01-14, 02:05 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Had a 911T. Know it is not comparable to a Macan. It was extremely reliable. Luckily, because apart from Porsche themselves who thinks money grows on trees, the guys at tyre shops, battery shops etc also add an extra two zeros to the price when you stop in their driveway with a Porsche. Have good memories of that car, pulled like an artillery tractor on the uphill and handled well, never experienced the notorious rear end break away (not that this is applicable to the Macan).
But, yes I think the Macan is going to set the cat amongst the pigeons, but then the NX can be a game changer too.
With the RX one must also be realistic in the handling stakes. It is an SUV like many times pointed out in these posts. We have a mountain pass down in the Cape area, called Outeniqua Pass. Bends are from the devil, ordinary rules like slow in, fast out, just doesn't work there. You can enter a turn and it is if the camber works against the suspension, despite the road leaning in the correct angle. The only car that sort of laughs at this sorcery was my 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta. With the RX, you must also be very careful there.
Old 05-02-14, 12:58 PM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never expected my 330 to handle like a sports car and it sure doesn't wallow like a Buick. And it certainly is NOT an unsafe handler.
Perhaps the OP had tested cars with worn bushings and shocks/struts.
Old 05-02-14, 09:57 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozzleman
I never expected my 330 to handle like a sports car and it sure doesn't wallow like a Buick. And it certainly is NOT an unsafe handler.
Perhaps the OP had tested cars with worn bushings and shocks/struts.

Same here, I certainly don't expect a sports car. Having been in a Dodge Caravan and a Honda CR-V for the past decade, the RX handles great to me. If I wanted sports car handling, I would by a sports car. I don't understand why people expect sports car handling out of a luxury SUV. I bought a Lexus RX 350 for the quality, reliability, and the smooth ride to get me through the long winters here, not to race in the Indy 500.
Old 05-03-14, 06:25 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't speak to whether what the OP experiences is a common issue or not but our RX handles just fine as well. I'll echo the "it's no sports car" comments and I mean that literally as an owner of a Honda S2000 and a Porsche Boxster S. The RX is nowhere near either of the sports cars in handling but it's not "crap" or "dangerously poor". All I can conclude is that the OP ran into many with problems.

Last edited by takeshi74; 05-03-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 07:09 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I have recently driven a Land Rover Discovery 4, and if I must comment on its handling in comparison to the RX 2nd generation, there is no comparison. The handling on the Disco is downright dangerous. It can be argued that it is suppose to be much more of an off-roader than the RX, but it is sold as a luxury SUV and most of the people owning it here, probably don't even know how or when to activate any of its off-road abilities (my point is, that if it has on-road pretentions, why can't it handle on-road?). First of all you get the uncanny feeling that you're not in touch with the road and secondly you are quickly reminded by the body roll that you're not in your RX350. Man, was I glad to get behind the wheel of the RX again. Maybe one should rather compare the Disco's handling with that of the Lexus GX, which we don't get in South Africa (we get the Toyota Prado), but I can't imagine that the GX handles that badly.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-03-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-05-14, 10:20 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Default RX Handling

Over the weekwnd I evaluated the ride of my Rx and it seemed much smoother than when first installed. Its very quiet in the cockpit and handles extremely well when necessary. I never get tired of driving and enjoy cruising in it.
Old 05-05-14, 10:33 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I enjoyed nipponbird's comparison of the handling of the Land Rover and the RX, especially as he introduced it with the note that "there is no comparison."
Old 05-05-14, 11:25 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Thanks friend. I was smitten by the styling of the Disco when it came out (Mark 4), but my driving experience with it, sort of made me very grateful, that I've decided on an RX350.
I know it is difficult to make an SUV that can be hard core in the bush and be excellent on a tarred road as well, but then there are vehicles which can do it, like the Toyota Prado. The AWD RX350 doesn't pretend to be such a dual purpose vehicle, but one starts to wonder if it wouldn't be surprisingly capable in the bush,despite the lack of low range gearing and diff locks. The only thing that keeps a person from putting that to the test, is your unwillingness to to have it scratched, or something. Anyway I can't complain about its handling,

Quick Reply: Handling of the RX?