RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Handling of the RX?

Old 04-24-14, 08:06 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My point is of the 6-7 RX's we have driven, 1 handled great (highest miles, 162k), 2 handled decent, the rest, ranging from 84k to 108k miles, handled like a 1958 Buick Special with no sway bars. The body roll was excessive. I would put ALL of those in a category that is flat out dangerous. It wasn't just one, it was many, in great shape with decent miles. NO Lexus should ever handle like that at any age. You turn the wheel back and forth and it just rocked back and forth. The highest mileage one we drive felt nice and tight, almost like my GS400. You could take a turn on the highway off ramp and feel safe.

My friend who works at Lexus said he has never seen a broken sway bar link, and seeing what Lexus used, I would be surprised if one was broken. But that is how bad it handled. Again, % wise most handled like crap. Why SOOOO bad?

Anyone with an RX who has driven the sport/performance package vs one without who can comment, are they really that different?
Old 04-24-14, 08:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, with a million or so relatively happy owners it's hard to take you very seriously. One guy comes here and makes a passive aggressive statement and demands we defend our little darlings. Why bother? Dude, it's a tall SUV, deal or get something else.
Old 04-24-14, 08:29 AM
rtbrjason
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My recently acquired 04 with 74k on it handles fairly well. It's definitely not a sports car, nor is it dangerous. It has the 18s and the tire pressures are at 34 all around. I initially wanted one with the stock 17" wheels for more ride comfort but I'm pretty happy with both the handling and ride comfort as it sits now.

I think tire size and type as well as tire pressure are going to have the biggest impact.
Old 04-24-14, 08:39 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

If you don't like the way it handles, then move on. But, as noted above, this is one of the best selling, highest rated, most frequently driven cars on the road, so either you are extremely unlucky in selecting vehicles or you are looking for something not provided by the RX. In either event, we can't tell from here and our ability to assist you is limited.
Old 04-24-14, 10:09 AM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the RX330's mission is to isolate and cosset the driver and passengers from all that nastiness outside, and it does this well. It will "handle" if forced, but its not pretty.
A Posche Cayenne, on the other hand, may ring the OP's chimes?
Old 04-24-14, 12:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Another item to consider is that all the "good" examples provided by the OP are RWD configurations while the RX is a FWD configuration. Perhaps the one he liked was an AWD RX and the rest for FWD. Just a thought.

I push my FWD RX hard on occasion and have no problems with its handling.
Old 04-24-14, 01:48 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

too many variables:

AWD vs FWD
suspension wear and tear
Tire Size (17/18)
Tire Wear and Brand

That why you need to test drive it before you make the decision.....
Old 04-24-14, 04:58 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

In my experience tires can make a world of difference in how the RX handles. Tires with a stiffer sidewall, higher speed rating and maybe plus sizing can make it feel sportier if that is what the OP is looking for. But it is a Lexus not a Jeep.
Old 04-25-14, 12:10 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

The RX was never designed to be a SPORTY SUV. It is all about luxury ride and quietness.
We tested drove a X3 and X5 and FX before we bought the RX. My wife does NOT like the sporty and harsher ride. For the ultimate SPORT SUV, go with the Cayanne or the new Macan. Be ready to pay.

2008 RX350 AWD (wife)
2008 Avalon Touring (mine)
Old 04-26-14, 12:24 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX Handling

I installed new all new Struts and lowered springs. The handling is good. I can now take 35mph off/on ramps at 50mph with total control unlike before. The only issue is with my old tires screaming through the turns. One draw back is the ride is very tight almost like my 330i.
Old 04-26-14, 02:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Lest it get lost in all the noise of these posts, please keep in mind that the OP found ONE RX in which he did find the handling capable and enjoyable. I believe what he is asking is why just one? What was unique to that vehicle which would be different than the others they test drove?

Believe we have covered the many reasons in the postings above.
Old 04-26-14, 03:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
I installed new all new Struts and lowered springs. The handling is good. I can now take 35mph off/on ramps at 50mph with total control unlike before. The only issue is with my old tires screaming through the turns. One draw back is the ride is very tight almost like my 330i.
I have an original, non-modified, FWD 2004 RX330. About the only thing which has changed from new is a set of Bridgestone Alenza tires which are now well worn. Over the years I have put in many highway miles and taken on many an entrance and exit ramp from the highways up and down the east coast. Many times I would take those ramps well above the marked speeds and ones I am very familiar with near my home at speeds above those you indicate in your example. Have never felt I was pushing the vehicle beyond its limits nor did I ever feel there was a lack of control or uneasy about how my RX handles.

Granted, I have driven a large number of vehicles in my days, many at high speed both on and off the track. I have an appreciation of tire grip and how vehicles behave just as they are on the edge of losing control and then stepping over that boundary. Something instilled by my father when I was young when learning how to drive was taking a vehicle to its limits in a controlled environment where you would not risk hitting something or injuring others and experimenting with the vehicle. For me that meant things like driving in snow covered parking lots with and without snow tires on. Yes, dad made me change the tires out in the snow to prove I could do it. As a result, over the years I learned how to turn in or not turn in to a skid. How to use the throttle to help point the vehicle in the correct direction. Of course, this all depends on if the vehicle is FWD, RWD, AWD, etc.

OK, so why the story? With all the electronic wizardry we have in our vehicles today, how many of us actually take the time to learn the limits of our vehicles? Do you wait for an emergency situation to occur before trying to see how your RX will respond in a situation where you need to stomp on the brakes while at the same time steer around a situation in front of you? How many of you will tap the brakes and then stomp on them in an emergency only to find out that that initial tap of the brakes may defeat the ABS system by your actions? I think you will find that while the RX is a tall wagon and not a sports car, the weak link is the person behind the wheel and not the vehicle itself more often than not. Too many folks driving above their abilities, and vehicles beyond their capabilities. These are the same types who will drive a big AWD vehicle in a snow storm just the same as they would on a sunny day.

Sorry if this comes off sounding like a lecture or as a service announcement. While this is a bit off topic I wanted to take a moment to defend the RX for what it is and is not.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”
-- Mario Andretti
Old 04-26-14, 11:36 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
My point is of the 6-7 RX's we have driven, 1 handled great (highest miles, 162k), 2 handled decent, the rest, ranging from 84k to 108k miles, handled like a 1958 Buick Special with no sway bars.
If there's anything that this prove beyond any reasonable doubt, is that out of 6-7 days, you are in good mood only once, in decent mood twice, and grumpy for the rest of your time.
You should cheer up a bit, methink.
Old 04-30-14, 11:52 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

I would like to find a replacement SUV for my wife now since the RX350's handling is so dangerous. I did not realize that I am putting my family in danger with the many road trips we took.

Anyway, here are what I want. This SUV has to achieve 50 MPG; has the quietness, reliability, good resale value of a Lexus; the handling of a Porsche Macan and most of all and an interior like a Audi A7. Most of all, it has to cost no more than $30K.

Any suggestion?

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)
Old 04-30-14, 12:35 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I can't believe what I'm reading here, it's almost like reading the Dutch have a right wing problem. I've always been overwhelmed by the good handling on my RX and I owned car's that's renowned for handling like Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Porsche several BMW's and Merc's. We have mountain passes that can make your stomach turn. I have Bridgestone Dueler on 18" rims and my RX is not new, it's got 145000Km on the clock. What are you guys talking about? Have I missed something? Will my RX suddenly lose grip like a 1961 VW Bug? Never got that impression.

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-30-14 at 12:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling of the RX?