RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mechanic shifted from drive to reverse in movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 01:43 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mechanic shifted from drive to reverse in movement

Hello!

A couple of weeks ago, with car lifted, a mechanic just shifted from dride to reverse with the wheels still rotating. He had been accelerating, stopped accelerating, did not apply the breaks and just shifted to reverse or maybe straight to park with the wheels still rotating. We heard a very loud noise like when you hear a car spinning. The car still worke ok! Four days ago, he did the same thing. Car runs fine, but I am worried.

What are the possibilities of having a failure in the gearbox because of that?

Note to self: never go to that garage again.
Old 04-13-14, 05:55 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would ensure that it is documented on your receipt so that if anything happens in the next year, they "should" be on the hook.

wouldnt hurt to change the fluid and examine what comes out.
Old 04-13-14, 06:50 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

You don't say if it is at a Lexus workshop, but it is sort of implied if you say you're not going back there. What was he testing?
Old 04-13-14, 08:11 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by kiwi
i would ensure that it is documented on your receipt so that if anything happens in the next year, they "should" be on the hook.

wouldnt hurt to change the fluid and examine what comes out.
Good idea, but it's been weeks ago. And yes, I changed the fluid and did not notice much metal. Just some very tiny particles. Is it abnormal? Car is a 2004 RX330 with 125000 miles and they never changed fluid before. But I noticed a gray color in my fingers. Is it normal?
Old 04-13-14, 08:15 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by nipponbird
You don't say if it is at a Lexus workshop, but it is sort of implied if you say you're not going back there. What was he testing?
Nah, it's not Lexus dealership. And they were testing road noise. The same mechanic told me it was the wheel bearings from the 'test', but I could discover later that it were the tires. And I already replaced one bearing and bought the other.

On another note, nipponbird, how easy is it to find parts in South Africa? Sorry I can not send you a message .
Old 04-13-14, 08:41 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Of course not a problem if you go to a Lexus dealer here. My experience with non-OEM parts is not good and I rather spend the extra money and buy over the counter at Lexus (sometimes they're cheaper than the non-OEM guys). But Club Lexus has vendors that supply OEM parts. Try them, believe the part will be on your doorstep in 14 to 21 days.
As to the incident re the shifting into reverse: Well, I would also take my patronage somewhere else. Have you reported it to the workshop manager? I would do so in writing, so that there is a paper trail, should you need to claim from them. In the meantime drive the car as much as possible and keep a close eye for anything untowards. Also remove the transmission sump and check for out of the ordinary, metal particles. Just remember the RX350 doesn't use ordinary ATF, but fancy stuff from Japan (believe there are petroleum companies who market an equivalent).
Old 04-13-14, 08:44 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds normal to me.

you should really change it more often

Originally Posted by Eliaquim
Good idea, but it's been weeks ago. And yes, I changed the fluid and did not notice much metal. Just some very tiny particles. Is it abnormal? Car is a 2004 RX330 with 125000 miles and they never changed fluid before. But I noticed a gray color in my fingers. Is it normal?
Old 04-13-14, 12:55 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Find a new mechanic ASAP. Absolutely no reason to ever do that.