RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which will be a better DD for the wife and more reliable
08-09 RX350 ~70K miles
75.00%
07 GX470 ~ 80K miles
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

RX or GX is the debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 09:05 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX or GX is the debate

Need another DD for the wife. Trying to decide between the two. MPG doesn't really matter to me as she only goes through about a tank a month. More concerned with reliability. which one and why?
Old 04-05-14, 09:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

These are two completely different vehicles and therefore do not make a great comparison. The RX is a tall wagon with unibody construction. Engine is a V6. The GX is a true SUV, body on frame construction, dual-range transmission. The GX is much heavier. Engine is a V8.

Not sure you can get NAV or Bluetooth in a GX of that vintage, so be sure to check on what electronics you want or need.

You can get a FWD RX. In the long run that would be cheaper for repairs compared to the need to maintain an AWD system.
Old 04-05-14, 09:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Not sure you can get NAV or Bluetooth in a GX of that vintage, so be sure to check on what electronics you want or need.
OK, it looks like you can. Still, the point is valid to make sure you can get all the electronics you need or want.

The GX would make a great vehicle for off-road and in the snow. The RX for daily life.
Old 04-06-14, 05:20 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, it looks like you can. Still, the point is valid to make sure you can get all the electronics you need or want.

The GX would make a great vehicle for off-road and in the snow. The RX for daily life.
As an owner of a 2005 loaded GX and recent borrower of a nice 2004 RX, I would submit that a RX is probably the better choice if you are faced with ambivalence. If you don't need what the GX offers, the whole "package" of purchasing and ownership will be more costly. But once you swallow the purchase and other variable costs of it sitting in your garage, 16 mpg a GX vs. 21 mpg in a RX (these happen to be my recent observed figures) is not going to matter much at the level of usage you suggest. So it's not a slam-dunk choice if you happened to find the right deal on either.

I love our GX and we do some off-roading I would not do in a RX, and the 3d row gets use when in-laws are in town. I cannot speak to a similar vintage RX regarding electronics, but I would suggest almost the opposite as RX330inFL advocates. Take our 05 GX that has NAV and Bluetooth, also DVD + CD and rear screen. All very nice in 2005. But technology has leaped forward. The sound quality of the Bluetooth sucks compared to a $120 Pioneer I put in my daughter's car. A current Garmin is a better NAV. Better yet, get a double-DIN DVD stereo that integrates NAV supplied by your iPhone or Andriod. You'll be years and dollars ahead in my opinion. Electronics updates are possible (I believe) on a lower optioned GX (or RX), but due to heavy integration of systems that interface through the NAV, I'm stuck in 2005 for the most part.

The RX and GX are both great vehicles that have different natures and purposes. If your wife is indeed driving just a couple of hundred miles a month, the direct operating cost differential will be of no consequence. I think reliability would be hard to argue for one or the other, if that's your main criteria. They are both going to be stellar if they receive regular exercise and relatively low mileage ... it's going to take you forever to reach any of the major wear-associated issues either may develop. Look more at acquisition cost, insurance rates, and registration costs, that might be where the real difference is for a low-utilization rig. I would guess it might come down to which one she enjoys driving more than anything else.
Old 04-06-14, 08:28 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 01 LX that my wife loves; she is the primary driver and drives it to part time work and it is our travel vehicle. She feels safe in it, has good visibility, and enjoys the stability it offers. I would put the GX in a similar impact for my wife; though she has repeatedly told me she does not like the lack of a hatch on the back - it is a side opening door.

When I was looking for a daily driver, I looked for an AWD RX, but came across a good 03 FWD RX. As a daily driver it is good, with about 21 MPG overall. The 08-09 RX is about 23 MPG FWD. It is car-like in the way it drives. The AWD is mostly in FWD mode until slip is sensed and it automatically engages AWD; so mileage is slightly worse, up to 1 MPG less. In contrast, the GX would be a real SUV with off road capability and the heavy duty construction that goes with that purpose. Since MPG is not a concern, I would tend to lean toward the GX, est. 16 MPG. Though, in reality, for my wife I would look for an 06-07 LX. The LX was designed for 25 yr durability, is extremely solid, and has an excellent repair record with regular maintenance. Mileage is not high for the LX, expect about 14 MPG.
Old 04-06-14, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
I love our GX and we do some off-roading I would not do in a RX, and the 3d row gets use when in-laws are in town. I cannot speak to a similar vintage RX regarding electronics, but I would suggest almost the opposite as RX330inFL advocates. Take our 05 GX that has NAV and Bluetooth, also DVD + CD and rear screen. All very nice in 2005. But technology has leaped forward. The sound quality of the Bluetooth sucks compared to a $120 Pioneer I put in my daughter's car. A current Garmin is a better NAV. Better yet, get a double-DIN DVD stereo that integrates NAV supplied by your iPhone or Andriod. You'll be years and dollars ahead in my opinion. Electronics updates are possible (I believe) on a lower optioned GX (or RX), but due to heavy integration of systems that interface through the NAV, I'm stuck in 2005 for the most part.
Actually, I only stated, "make sure you can get all the electronics you need or want." Those who have been here for awhile at CL know that I am not a big fan of the Lexus NAV systems and though I do not have any problems with the stock sound system in my RX others find it lacking bass and clarity in the 2nd Generation RX350. How the OP gets to where they have "all the electronics you need or want" is their decision.
Old 04-07-14, 06:08 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real question is whether you would buy your wife a truck for a DD. The GX is a fine truck. The maneuverability in traffic and when parking reflect that heritage.

The RX is superior as a utility daily driver. Mine was used for such for several years until retirement. Now my wife uses it exclusively although we have a Honda Odyssey and a Tundra truck available. She won't drive either.

The GX was considered and road tested as a "travel vehicle" before buying the Odyssey. It reminded me of the Tundra in handling and nimbleness. After seeing and experiencing the test drive, my wife wouldn't even consider giving it a try...and she is a Lexus lover.

This post makes my wife sound like a b....h. Actually, she is low-key and very accommodating. But she won't drive something that is uncomfortable, or potentially dangerous, to manage.
Old 04-07-14, 02:51 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, I only stated, "make sure you can get all the electronics you need or want."
Sorry if I mischaracterized your statement. I tend to think in terms of NAV or not when visualizing option levels. Obviously there are other electronics aside from NAV that can be optioned, depending on Lexus series, and year. NAV just seems to be the one that had (has?) a big price premium, but actually freezes your technology in time. More basic panels are much more friendly for upgrade of course.
Old 04-07-14, 03:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Sorry if I mischaracterized your statement. I tend to think in terms of NAV or not when visualizing option levels. Obviously there are other electronics aside from NAV that can be optioned, depending on Lexus series, and year. NAV just seems to be the one that had (has?) a big price premium, but actually freezes your technology in time. More basic panels are much more friendly for upgrade of course.
No foul. If someone has their heart set on a Lexus NAV system, perhaps only for the backup camera, who am I to say it is a bad decision. All we can do here at CL is to provide guidance, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.