RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I know, i know use the search function, but cant decide on Michelins or Pirelli?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 09:51 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I know, i know use the search function, but cant decide on Michelins or Pirelli?

Good day to all,

After reading many reviews and many varying remarks on these brands, i need some convincing. So you all decide. I've had the stock Michelin's but that price isnt appealing. $210 for the stocks or $175 for the Pirelli's. I have untill 6pm central to choose today and its friday. Im tired and taking the newborn for her 2-month doctor visit. Let me know guys, hope all is well with everybody
Old 04-04-14, 09:53 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Im really looking at tire with NO road noise whatsoever and im on the highway ALL the time driving to and from work. So that is what im leaning. Should i take a chance on the Bridgestones? decisions!!!

Last edited by StLucchese; 04-04-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 10:48 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing better than Michelin period! Quietest longest lasting tire out there. There's a reason they cost more. Spend it! did you really buy a Lexus to try and save $140 on tires!!????
Old 04-04-14, 03:02 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
Nothing better than Michelin period! Quietest longest lasting tire out there. There's a reason they cost more. Spend it! did you really buy a Lexus to try and save $140 on tires!!????
I already they cost a bit first of all, second, I agree it is the best tire trusted that Lexus knew what they were doing when the 04-07 models were coming off the assembly line. There are other members here who don't necessarily have to buy the stocks, so cant you judge them for not paying the premium for michelin's. They are members that have varying opinions on why they choose this brand over the other and this is why

In addition, the thread I got from my stocks barely got to 40K, so I'm sure maybe others can give me more thread wear than the Michelins

Last edited by StLucchese; 04-04-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 03:30 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found it very useful to go to the review sections of the various tire sites. The opinion of dozens of actual users was invaluable. Here in Texas I was more interested in a high performance rain tire than a snow climber and I was able to get that information in the reviews. I ended up with Yokohamas which can handle the worst Texas frog strangler.
Old 04-04-14, 03:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Others here at CL have reported the Bridgestone Ecopia as being very quiet and the numbers at Tire Rack seem to point that out.

As for the Michelin or the Pirelli, I would take a quick look at the specs. You will see that the Pirelli has a Load Index of 104. This usually means a stiffer sidewall for the increased load capacity and therefore a stiffer ride. Some may like this. You may be able to adjust with tire pressure. Also, note there is a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season and a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. The latter is a few bucks cheaper, however, has a longer Treadwear rating. At the price you are paying I would go with the latter and not the former of the two Pirellis as a result.

Even though I am a big fan of Michelin, I do not see much with the sizes available for the RX with the tires available from them. They may be quiet, however, as you noticed they wear quickly and the specs indicate they will do such. I did not like the OE on my RX and switched to Bridgestone Alenza as I wanted a stiffer ride and did not care much about tire noise.
The following users liked this post:
spinellib (04-16-19)
Old 04-04-14, 03:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Michelin does make some very good tires. However, those available in the common size for the 2nd Generation RX, 235/55-18, from Michelin are average at best. Low Treadwear ratings and the reviews at places such as Tire Rack are low. Do not mind spending good money on tires, however, in this case the best play is not Michelin. Bridgestone, Pirelli and even a Goodyear tire may be better for most.
Old 04-04-14, 04:30 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

The OEM Michelin was an average tire at a very expensive price.

Based upon my experience with the Michelin Energy MXV4, Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza, Goodyear ComforTred Touring and Bridgestone Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia; the Ecopia gets my vote with the Goodyear coming in a close second..
Old 04-04-14, 04:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdnewton
The OEM Michelin was an average tire at a very expensive price.

Based upon my experience with the Michelin Energy MXV4, Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza, Goodyear ComforTred Touring and Bridgestone Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia; the Ecopia gets my vote with the Goodyear coming in a close second..
I think that is a fair assessment. The Pirelli is up there for those wanting a firmer ride and the new "Plus" gives the advantage of treadwear life.

Bridgestone is currently the discount tire rebate for April at Costco.
Old 04-05-14, 12:43 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason they cost more.
Yeah, it just happens to be a reason which is only good from the seller viewpoint!
@ the OP: which Pirellis are you talking about?
If the Scorpion Verde, I'd rather pay $210 for them than $175 for the Michelin.
Old 04-05-14, 07:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have Ecopias, love it less money than Michelins. But between Pirrelli and Michelin, Michelin hands down.
Old 04-05-14, 04:15 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I have scorpions and love them
Old 04-07-14, 06:06 AM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

I'm searching for new tires as well. I'm leaning towards Continental PureContact at the moment.

The reviews looks good on those tires and the weight of the tire can made a huge difference as well. It's only 24lb each.
Old 04-07-14, 08:50 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

i didnt get tires until Saturday afternoon, b/c of the doctors appointment with our newborn. After discussing at discount tire (No costco membership) they didnt carry the escopias, so i ask for the pirelli's plus, they didnt have it in stock but just the regular pirelli's, so i was looking at the yoko's since Carver is from the same state as i am but here in the gulf coast, we really dont see sleet much, so after more reading and more contemplating and seeing that they were limited in what they have in stock, i did bring up if they had the bridgestone alenza's so i ended up getting the alenza's "PLUS" which is the newer version and rated to have 80k thread wear.

So far so good, i'll give an update once i get more mileage throughtout the year. I would like to thank everyone's thoughts/input on the topic. Thank you RX owners!

Last edited by StLucchese; 04-07-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 09:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Believe you are the first with the Alenza Plus, StLucchese. I have been riding around on the original Alenza for years and have liked them. Others have reported they were noisy, but I have not had any complaints.

Quick Reply: I know, i know use the search function, but cant decide on Michelins or Pirelli?