RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replace or sell car? Opinions wanted

Old 03-07-14, 04:37 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
AWD 2nd Generation RX are known to have an issue with wheel bearings as seen by the numerous posts on the topic here at CL. So, that is not a surprise.

What bugs me is the need for a new CAT at 100K miles on this RX. Why? In this day-and-age there is no reason why a CAT should go bad at this early an age. I think there is more to this than meets the eye. An O2 sensor I could see, just not the CAT at this point.

If you hold on to this RX you really should have the transmission fluid, front transfer case and rear differential gear oil, along with the power steering fluid (the RX uses DEXRON II/III ATF) replaced. Also, how are the tires? You can see how the dollars on this can quickly add up for general maintenance items. Plugs are not due to be changed until 120K miles.
The tires are brand new, I put them on the same week I bought it.

If I keep it I plan on changing fluids. That's not a huge expense so I'm not really worried about that. I do realize I'll have to change the plugs here in about 20k though.

It has new brakes, new tires, and timing belt and water pump have been done.
Old 03-07-14, 06:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

In all seriousness, I'd keep it.

Why do they think the CAT is bad? Is it a code for catalytic inefficiency. Does your state do emmissions testing?

With only 100k on the clock, I'd put some money into it and drive it for another 100k.
Old 03-07-14, 08:23 AM
chris948
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no doubt this vehicle can be repaired/fixed and make for reliable transportation for someone. However, from the comments made by the OP I get the sense he will always be worrying about the next big thing to go wrong. Have seen this before. Call it buyers remorse, whatever.
That makes no sense, so the OP is going to sell it for $13k and buy what exactly that isn't going to potentially need repair? If you want to avoid "the next big thing to go wrong" might I suggest a bus pass?

Nothing in the list (cat, rack and pinion, wheel bearing) indicates prior abuse. This isn't really bad luck, more like life with a 100k mile vehicle.
Old 03-07-14, 09:25 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chris948
That makes no sense, so the OP is going to sell it for $13k and buy what exactly that isn't going to potentially need repair? If you want to avoid "the next big thing to go wrong" might I suggest a bus pass?

Nothing in the list (cat, rack and pinion, wheel bearing) indicates prior abuse. This isn't really bad luck, more like life with a 100k mile vehicle.
Was not that it needed repairs, I agree with you that all vehicles will need repairs. Was just that the OP had this dropped on them all at once instead of spread out over a greater amount of time giving them the opportunity to deal with them one at a time. When repair needs cluster such as this the owners many times fear the next big ticket repair. Thus, they try to get out of the vehicle and into something they feel will not require immediate attention or at least not a big check out of their savings. In this case, I believe the OP will continue to worry about the transfer case as a major repair item which will deduct from the joy of owning his new-used RX.

I, too, have an RX330. Have not seen any of these major problems to date. Suspension pieces are in good shape. No CAT or O2 problems. Have owned it since new. Long since paid off. So, for me any big ticket item would be considered to be much cheaper than a series of car payments.
Old 03-07-14, 11:52 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was not that it needed repairs, I agree with you that all vehicles will need repairs. Was just that the OP had this dropped on them all at once instead of spread out over a greater amount of time giving them the opportunity to deal with them one at a time. When repair needs cluster such as this the owners many times fear the next big ticket repair. Thus, they try to get out of the vehicle and into something they feel will not require immediate attention or at least not a big check out of their savings. In this case, I believe the OP will continue to worry about the transfer case as a major repair item which will deduct from the joy of owning his new-used RX.

I, too, have an RX330. Have not seen any of these major problems to date. Suspension pieces are in good shape. No CAT or O2 problems. Have owned it since new. Long since paid off. So, for me any big ticket item would be considered to be much cheaper than a series of car payments.
This is going to sound stupid, but how would one know if there was a rack an pinion issue? I have an 04 RX330 and I bought it well used and had it checked out prior to purchase by a Toyota mechanic that gave it a clean bill of health. Are there just some that are worse for wear? Of course, now I'm all paranoid!
Old 03-07-14, 12:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mpatton
This is going to sound stupid, but how would one know if there was a rack an pinion issue? I have an 04 RX330 and I bought it well used and had it checked out prior to purchase by a Toyota mechanic that gave it a clean bill of health. Are there just some that are worse for wear? Of course, now I'm all paranoid!
Not a stupid question.

You would see signs of fluid having leaked out around the boots.
Old 03-07-14, 12:36 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If it is the Cat under the RX you can eliminate it. There is no sensor after that one. Now the header converters, different story.
Old 03-08-14, 02:46 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
In all seriousness, I'd keep it.

Why do they think the CAT is bad? Is it a code for catalytic inefficiency. Does your state do emmissions testing?

With only 100k on the clock, I'd put some money into it and drive it for another 100k.
It is throwing code p0420 and both my mechanic and Lexus said it needed to be replaced. My state does not do emissions testing.
Old 03-08-14, 03:21 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could just be the luck of the mechanical draw on the cat. The only reason I have my sweet '05 is because it blew a coil and needed a set of tires and in the face of these horrors the original owner traded it in on a new one. Lucky for me.

When I got it I gave it the mid-life maintenance it needed for the next 73k. The coil had been replaced when i got it and I did tires, brake pads, steering rack, 4 wheel alignment, complete fluid change and a detail. Except for a battery, gas etc that's the only money spent (for maintenance, I've spent a ton on toys!) in the last three years. If you take care of these cars you will be rewarded with long, trouble free service.

Last edited by Carver; 03-08-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 04:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jwminzen
It is throwing code p0420 and both my mechanic and Lexus said it needed to be replaced. My state does not do emissions testing.
P0420 means the catalytic converter is operating at less than 95% efficiency. Not a big deal. And, since your state does not do emissions testing, you don't need to fix it.

I'm not familiar with the RX330 but does it have a 02 sensor after the catalytic converter? I'd assume it does and if so, you likely just need to replace that sensor. Better yet, check it's resistance and see if it's in spec.
Old 03-08-14, 05:03 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
P0420 means the catalytic converter is operating at less than 95% efficiency. Not a big deal. And, since your state does not do emissions testing, you don't need to fix it.

I'm not familiar with the RX330 but does it have a 02 sensor after the catalytic converter? I'd assume it does and if so, you likely just need to replace that sensor. Better yet, check it's resistance and see if it's in spec.
The cat is the least of my worries, but I would still like to get it fixed. I hate having a nice car and the check engine light is on all the time.

Does it make a difference that my RX is made in Canada? Are the parts of the Japan and Canada model interchangeable?
Old 03-08-14, 05:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

So, they both jump to the same end-game solution instead of working through the process...

1. Gas leakage in exhaust system
2. A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
3. Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2)
4. Three-way catalytic converter (inside exhaust manifold)

Not saying the CAT cannot be bad. Just that they come up with that as the root cause for the error is just too convenient, IMO.
Old 03-08-14, 05:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Does it make a difference that my RX is made in Canada? Are the parts of the Japan and Canada model interchangeable?
Almost all the parts are interchangeable. There are probably only the rare exceptions. Does not mean the parts are not of the same quality.
Old 03-08-14, 05:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-trac-off.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0430-code.html

I wonder how much time they spent testing your problem? Have seen too many times where someone gets sloppy performing an oil change and drips oil on a sensor while it is hot ruining it. I find that a more plausible explanation unless I know the tech testing for the P0420 error has completely ruled out the items previous on the list I noted above. O2 sensors also have a given lifespan. After 100K miles it would not be too far a stretch for those just to start acting up a bit.
Old 03-08-14, 06:35 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-trac-off.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0430-code.html

I wonder how much time they spent testing your problem? Have seen too many times where someone gets sloppy performing an oil change and drips oil on a sensor while it is hot ruining it. I find that a more plausible explanation unless I know the tech testing for the P0420 error has completely ruled out the items previous on the list I noted above. O2 sensors also have a given lifespan. After 100K miles it would not be too far a stretch for those just to start acting up a bit.
The Lexus tech that posted in the second link said that 95% of the time, the cat is faulty, not the sensor. I wish it was as easy as just replacing the sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace or sell car? Opinions wanted