RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Decision time! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 08:56 PM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision time! HELP!

I need some advice. I hope to become a Lexus RX owner within the next couple weeks. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want. This will be my first Lexus. There are currently 4 options that I'm looking at.

2004 RX 330 with 121,000 miles. Black with navigation, etc. Private seller asking $9200 obo.
2005 RX 330 with 95,825 miles. Dark blue/gray, no fancy extras. Dealer asking $11,999.
2008 RX 350 with 119,000 miles. Silver, no fancy extras. Dealer asking $12,995.
2008 RX 350 with 119,000 miles. Silver, no fancy extras. Dealer asking $13,995.

Which one would you pursue? Would you buy from a private seller or go through the dealer and get a warranty? Is there a big difference in the 2004 and 2008 technology? What would you consider a reasonable offer on each of these vehicles? Would you even consider purchasing a 10 year old Lexus? I'm looking for something I can keep for many years. Any advice is welcome!
Old 02-06-14, 10:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, jsellers81.

As with any used vehicle, you would need to have these inspected by an independent mechanic/shop before purchase even if you are buying from a dealer. Do they need tires? Brakes? Now? Soon?

Which one to buy? Newer is always better. If you can afford it that would be a better way to go. The 2008 has more tech and there are definite upsides. For example, the RX350 uses a timing chain while the RX330 uses a timing belt which requires changing at 90K mile intervals. Perhaps that 2005 has not even had that work done. Do not worry about NAV as your cellphone might have a better system and you can always upgrade your infotainment system as can be found in numerous threads here at CL. If you are stretching to make payments (do not forget maintenance, insurance, etc.) then perhaps an RX is not the vehicle for you.

For vehicle values you would be best served by going to kbb.com and plugging in your info. Prices vary from region to region.

Finally, no warranty contract on a used vehicle is really worth the money for what they sell them for and basically are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 02-07-14, 07:10 AM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

Thank you RX330 for your reply. Making the payments wouldn't be an issue. I would be putting down at least $8,000 if not more. I would prefer to not have a payment because I hate throwing away money on interest but I doubt I could talk them down to $10,000 total out the door cash. $10k is my cash budget. If I don't do the warranty then I shouldn't have to finance much. Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-07-14, 08:06 AM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

And I just discovered that the more expensive 2008 has navigation and light wood but it's only a 10 minute drive away. The one I like better which has dark wood, no navigation and is $1000 cheaper is an hour drive away. Ugh lol.
Old 02-07-14, 08:09 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, newer is better. Maintenance is important and checking the history with a dealer can tell you a lot. As a rule, Lexus owners tend to maintain their cars but you don't want the one car in that group that never got any.

Try to make sure the 'big' services have been done, 90k, 120 etc. These can run 1100 or more depending on what's needed. When you get one plan to change all the fluids, oil, brakes, radiator, transmission, power steering etc. This can be expensive but can be planned out over a period of time. Also, tires, brakes and alignment should be checked.

With good maintenance these cars will give you the long service you are looking for. Anything that might come up can be helped with this forum.
Old 02-07-14, 08:10 AM
kjv1611
Driver School Candidate

Default I'd say keep looking

I'd say keep looking - if you can afford to put $10k down, that's great. I'd keep looking and find a better deal. The newer ones would be better, but they are somewhat high on the miles side. If it were me, I'd try to go 2007/2008 or newer if possible, and look for just under 100k miles. I know it's possible, b/c I got a 2007 a few months ago with 91k miles.

I also agree on rx330infl's mention of used car warranties. I wouldn't buy or not buy based on the warranty for certain, and I wouldn't pay extra. I paid a ton extra before on a vehicle, myself, and knew I shouldn't have.

Also, keep this in mind with car loans. If you just get the whole thing through a loan, you might get a cheaper interest rate, and then you could just pay it off ahead of schedule in order to keep the good rate. So here's a thought - just a thought. Let's say you got a car at $15k, and that amount put you into a lower interest rate, MUCH lower. You could pay off the $10 you were going to put down anyway.. in the first month.. then you've got $5000 left, and just pay larger than required payments on it until paid for.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts to consider

Also, on the 330 vs 350. I was also told by a mechanic who used to work for Toyota that the 350 supposedly fixed some transmission issues that were more common in the 300 and 330 series.

I'll say I tried out RX300, RX330, and RX350 before buying (besides several other vehicles). The RX350 had the most solid/comfortable ride. The RX300 actually felt a little sportier in ways, but you knew it was aged more, obvously (was a 2000 model, I think).

I think any would be a good vehicle, but looking back, I'd definitely say on these that the 350 is better.

Also, if you wait, you may find one with the built-in NAV. The Navigation is okay, but I like the Nav for the other stuff you can control. For isntance, if you have a DVD player in back, you can turn it on or off from the Nav screen. You can control your A/C and such from the nav screen, see temps, etc. You also can see lots and lots of maintenance info for your car, as well as set schedules, etc. Pretty neat if you want to see things like that. The Nav seems to be pretty accurate in my 2007, and though the tech is obviously aged compared to smartphone GPS, it generally works well. I know mine at times does well with redirecting based on where I'm driving... changing course in the middle of the path... but at other times, it's DETERMINED to keep me on the prescribed course. Funny, looking back, but it can also be annoying. Then again, I know handheld GPS (Garmin) units have done the same for me, as well as smart phone GPS apps I used.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on it.
Old 02-07-14, 08:16 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the cost difference going with the newer 2008 model is a no brainer. Both of the ones listed have 119k miles and would require the spark plugs changed per the 120k service. I would insist this be done, the RX spark plugs are not easy to change or inexpensive like cars of old.
Old 02-07-14, 08:18 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jsellers81
And I just discovered that the more expensive 2008 has navigation and light wood but it's only a 10 minute drive away. The one I like better which has dark wood, no navigation and is $1000 cheaper is an hour drive away. Ugh lol.
A word about factory nav. You might be better served to get a car without as there are functions tied to to the system (AC, Radio) that are dependent on it. Should the head unit fail it is a 10k fix from Lexus which makes you dependent on finding a used one which can be challenging.
Old 02-07-14, 08:51 AM
sweet100
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of those cars has backup camera? It is worth more than factory NAV, in my opinion, because a cell phone nav is better, just as other pros said here.
Old 02-07-14, 01:47 PM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all of your help. I'm just trying to soak it all in.

Carver, I love what you did with your after market head unit. It looks great. I much prefer the dark woodgrain interior on the model that does not have Nav. Plus, I feel like the tape deck on the one with Nav makes it look outdated.

Sweet, a backup camera is not listed on the website for the car, so unless they just didn't list it I'm assuming it doesn't have one although they are referring to it as a premium package.

Kjv, do you feel like the dealer is asking too much for these vehicles? Obviously I wouldn't pay sticker price but what do you feel would be a good starting offer? Kbb and edmunds both have the car listed in thr $11k range for private party in good condition.
Old 02-07-14, 01:49 PM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

Also, I plan on taking a friend of mine with me who is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and owns an older model IS.
Old 02-07-14, 01:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sweet, a backup camera is not listed on the website for the car, so unless they just didn't list it I'm assuming it doesn't have one although they are referring to it as a premium package.
The backup camera is part of the NAV system.

Also, I plan on taking a friend of mine with me who is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and owns an older model IS.
Looks like you have things in hand. If the seller has service records or had all the work done by Lexus you would be ahead of the game.
Old 02-07-14, 02:03 PM
rtbrjason
Driver School Candidate

You can put the VIN into the Lexus Drivers website as well if you find one you're very serious about. I did this just before purchasing mine and was happy to see it had a long list of local service records. Best of luck!
Old 02-07-14, 04:01 PM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I'll check the VIN out now.
Old 02-07-14, 04:20 PM
jsellers81
Driver School Candidate

A new one was just listed. A 2007, black, premium package with 97,000 miles for $14,662.00.

Quick Reply: Decision time! HELP!