RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Should I replace struts with 200,000 miles on RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 05:19 PM
cfgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Should I replace struts with 200,000 miles on RX350?

I have a 2009 RX350 with almost 200,000 miles. I am considering replacing the struts and wondering if it is best to use original Lexus parts or if there is an after market strut you would highly recommend? Thanks!
Old 02-06-14, 06:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, cfgoldman. As your post regards a 2nd Generation RX it will be moved there by the moderators when they have a moment from its current location on the 3rd Generation RX forum.

As with most questions you might have regarding your vehicle, this has been discussed before here at CL. Spend some time using the search features of the forum and you will find useful threads, such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...truts-diy.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-ensues.html

Just because you have 200K on your RX does not mean it needs new struts. How is the ride? Tire wear? Are the tires cupping?
Old 02-06-14, 06:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

If you have gotten 200K miles out of your OEM struts I would say that is a strong recommendation for going that direction. Should you need to keep costs down you can always check with a local Toyota shop to see what they would charge for the job.
Old 02-06-14, 07:07 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Commuter car for sure!
Old 02-06-14, 08:14 PM
cfgoldman
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much! I read through a bunch of other links that I couldn't seem to find when I just did a search... my mechanic suggested it if I plan to keep it and he said I can definitely get another 100,000 miles out of it. I am wondering if I purchase the parts myself if that will save me money but am confused as to which parts I need... maybe I will call the dealership? any suggestions on how much the labor should cost? I am going to do them all I think. The tires are pretty new but it just doesn't drive the same...Thanks again!
Old 02-06-14, 10:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cfgoldman
thanks so much! I read through a bunch of other links that I couldn't seem to find when I just did a search... my mechanic suggested it if I plan to keep it and he said I can definitely get another 100,000 miles out of it. I am wondering if I purchase the parts myself if that will save me money but am confused as to which parts I need... maybe I will call the dealership? any suggestions on how much the labor should cost? I am going to do them all I think. The tires are pretty new but it just doesn't drive the same...Thanks again!
The change in ride could be a sign it is time to replace the struts. Not sure how good the roads are in your part of town, but over here on the west coast they are terrible with the exception of a few stretches of new pavement.

If you are going to have a shop install these for you I would not worry about part numbers per se. For example, if you were to go to a Toyota shop you would be getting exactly the same thing as if the Lexus dealer put them on. They would get the right part numbers.

On each corner you would want to replace the struts, mount kits, boots and any other wear item. As you are not lowering the vehicle there is no need to replace any of the coils. They should be fine.

Sounds like you might already be using an independent mechanic. Ask him what he would charge you for the job, what he would be replacing, what brands would be used, etc. Would he be using Toyota parts? You can then ask about if they would perform the work if you brought your own parts. Some shops will do this, many will not. They probably will not give you any type of warranty if there is a problem. So, my recommendation is that if you are not going to do this yourself to pick a shop and work with them to get what you need.

BTW, which tires are you running? Tires are an essential component to the suspension and a poor tire choice can affect your ride in the worst of ways. Tire pressure is also important.
Old 02-07-14, 02:09 PM
cfgoldman
Driver School Candidate

I am in Central Florida but do a ton of highway driving, hence the high mileage! I bought the car certified pre-owned and have put 2 sets of new tires on it... my last set of tires lasted 85,000 miles. I have Bridgestone Dueler Alenza (I think that's what they are called!) and the new set that I put on last Oct improved the drive dramatically but I think I need to pull the trigger on the struts! Thanks again for all of the advice. I think I will shop it around a few places but I do have a local master mechanic who is very knowledgeable and more reasonable than the dealership. BTW, I didn't have a tune up until 175,000 miles! Just oil changes every 5,000 miles and no problems with the car at all! Hoping to get another 100,000 at the rate I put them on.
Old 02-07-14, 02:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I run the Bridgestone Alenzas as well on my RX and they have served me well over their many years though it is doubtful I will get 85K out of them. Usually have them at 35-36 PSI.

Perhaps Formula271 will jump in here to update his experience with the KYB struts he put on his RX from rockauto.com. HtownBlue replaced his with Monroe. So, there are other options than OEM and perhaps they are happy with their choices. Believe everyone here will recommend for you to replace all mounts, boots, etc. while the mechanic is in there to save you possible headaches down the road. Doesn't add a huge amount to the job, perhaps $50 per corner.

Talk to your mechanic. Let him know what you are looking to do and what was discussed here. See if he has any suggestions. Come back and bounce the ideas around here for discussion. We definitely want to see you get another 100K on your RX350.