RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:27 AM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please help!

Hi all,

So I've installed Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake a few weeks ago and it's been fine with no codes.

Now, they way I did it (don't ask why), I had the 3" into 3" coupler connected to the metal tube and then 3" into 2.5" coupler connected to the filter itself and going into 3" into 3" that's on the metal tube (3" into 2.5" coupler was suppose to go onto the front side of the filter for the ram air kit to be attached). So when I realized that it wasn't suppose to be that way, I've ordered a new 3" into 3" coupler (since the old one was messed up due to the pressure from clamp) and installed it two days ago. Half hour later I get check engine and VSC lights on. SO I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery while going shopping. About 10-15 minutes later i connect it back and no codes. Haven't driven the car for a day. Today went out to do some shopping and codes reappeared as I pulled in into a parking lot. Disconnected the battery again, 10-15 minutes, codes are back within an hour or so. All the hoses are in the same places as they were. Nothing changed. Just the new coupler.

If anyone know how this could be fixed and what causes the codes to reappear - please share your knowledge.

Truly appreciate!

Thank you all in advance!
Old 01-17-14, 10:40 AM
Lajick
Driver School Candidate

There could be a number of things that bring up the Check Engine and VSC lights. It could range from a hose not being attached TO the gas cap not being turned till it clicks. Its hard to pinpoint what happened exactly.It may or may not be a major problem, but there are a lot of sensors and one in particular that triggers these codes is the 02 sensor. I recommend dropping it by a dealer and have them run the codes for you to see what's exactly wrong. (they'll usually do this for free if asked, politely) Hope this helps.

Terry Clark
Lexus San Diego
Old 01-17-14, 10:40 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I would like to know what these codes are first before I can comment. Go to Autozone and they will tell you.
Old 01-19-14, 08:58 AM
JProdun
Driver

Thank you for your replies!

Disconnected the battery for a few hours last night. Codes still shown up...

Went to read at Autozone, here they are:

P0171
P0174
P0171pd
P0174pd

Thank you so much!
Old 01-19-14, 09:11 AM
JProdun
Driver

Also, the car seems to behave weird, particularly at shifting gears. Seems like it's extremely hesitant whether to shift or not. But, once the Check Engine and VSC lights are back - it gets back to absolutely normal driving habits...
Old 01-19-14, 11:55 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank #1)
P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank #2)
P0171pd - Code Pending - Usually caused by aftermarket intake on car.
Old 01-19-14, 12:44 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

P171 and 174 are codes indicating that too much air is entering the intake and the fuel intake is struggling to keep up. Clean your MAF sensor. Make sure ALL vacuum lines are reconnected at proper spots. I would bet you left off a vacuum line or two.
Old 01-19-14, 02:25 PM
JProdun
Driver

I'll clean the sensor tonight or tomorrow morning. The big question is why would the codes show up after i changed the couplers? I.e. Installed it the way it was originally meant to be...

In regards to the vacuum lines, i did leave one out because there wasn't an input for it on the intake tube, but it has never thrown codes before...
Old 01-19-14, 02:55 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

That is why. Plug the vacuum line. Your intake is designed to be a closed system. Without looking at the live data fuel trim information, I cannot give a definite diagnosis. However, when both codes are present you tend to have a leak in the vacuum system or a leak into the intake manifold at some point. I would also double check the connections and everything you placed on to make sure the entire system is air tight.

You can't simply leave a vacuum line exposed without plugging it. It seeps extra air into the system.
Old 01-19-14, 02:59 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Also by increasing the diameter of the intake tubes you are allowing more air to come through. This coupled with the open vacuum line might have tipped the scales. Also, you can have these codes present for a little while before they appear. The engine has to cycle several times to register the code officially.
Old 01-19-14, 03:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

One last thing....search for my post on these codes. It gives a good break down on what is going on in the engine and what caused my problem.
Old 01-19-14, 03:37 PM
JProdun
Driver

HtownBlue, the more I'm reading of your comments the more sense it makes! I will go over the whole thing tonight and hopefully everything gets back to normal.

Should I disconnect the battery again after everything is in place?

Thank you so much!
Old 01-19-14, 05:08 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Best to use a scanner to do it. If you disconnect the battery follow these recommendations.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Check-Engine-Light
Old 01-20-14, 08:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Or I highly suggest that you invest in an OBD Scanner. They are reasonably priced nowadays. A good-decent unit will cost $80. But simpler ones can be had for $60. Check fleabay or mazon.

So when you the CEL’s you can plug it in and get your result instantly. Then you can clear it and observe.
Old 01-20-14, 08:58 AM
JProdun
Driver

Funny thing is, I found where the missing vacuum hose was suppose to go in and connected it yesterday. When to a store, then went for a dinner and when started the car the codes disappeared. So I was a happy camper until this morning they appeared again...

I will check everything again and disconnect the battery. See how that goes...

I've always thought though that only negative terminal needs to be disconnected...

Thank you again!

Quick Reply: Please help!