RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:13 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 Timing Belt Replacement

Hello!

I recently took my 2004 RX330 in for its 60k mile service and the mechanic said that my timing belt may need to be replaced because of its age. The car again only has 60k miles but he said he may, or may not, need it just because the car is nearly 10 years old.

I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the subject? In a few months I am going to drive cross-country in the car and don't want to have to worry about it. I'd prefer if I could wait like 6 months to do it (financially speaking) but if it needs to get done now then I absolutely will.

Just wanted to see what you guys/girls thought!
Old 01-17-14, 10:44 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with the age comment, however our cars are very easy on belts. Waiting 6 months should not be an issue. Ask the mechanic how many belts he has seen break on an RX and at mileage they were at. I asked same question to my service advisor and his answer was one belt and it was over 200k with original belt. Numbers don't lie even though there are rare instances of belts breaking sooner.
Old 01-17-14, 04:10 PM
autobuff
Driver School Candidate

My 2005 RX has 62000 miles. In wet weather one of the belts would squeal and the ac light would flash. I also noticed a clicking sound, sounded like injector noise. I asked my technician if a belt or belts were in need of replacement. He replied yes, after nearly ten years the time has arrived. He installed all new belts, a tensioner, water pump, thermostat and flushed the cooling system. The squealing sound in wet weather along with the clicking noise are gone. Peace of mind has been restored. I am leaving for a 1200 mile trip soon. I would suggest changing the belt/s
Old 01-17-14, 04:15 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a cost to benefit,

New timing belt, basically zero chance of breaking, cost is about 500 bucks give or take some.

leave it alone, much higher chance of it breaking, possibly save 500 bucks, and put out 3-5000 for a new engine. this includes cost to tow vehicle, ruin your day and get a rental, and spend time on here *****ing about your timing belt breaking and leaving you stranded.

drop the 500 bucks and get it done. i would however just have the water pump checked, if its still smooth to turn and not leaking, i would leave it.
Old 01-17-14, 05:17 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

And, the 3.3L V6 in the RX330 is an interference engine ....
Old 01-18-14, 01:06 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

My RX is the same year and miles. I went ahead and had my belt replaced.
Old 01-18-14, 02:36 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Also have an 04 with 61k. Lexus tech actually told me I could wait, do around 80k if I kept it- which would be another 3 yrs out. Think I'm going to do it towards the end of this year just to be safe, as right now I plan on keeping it.
Old 01-18-14, 10:47 PM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jer
Also have an 04 with 61k. Lexus tech actually told me I could wait, do around 80k if I kept it- which would be another 3 yrs out. Think I'm going to do it towards the end of this year just to be safe, as right now I plan on keeping it.
So you aren't worried about the end of the year? I guess I could have Lexus themselves check it out. My guy quoted $610 and Lexus wants to do it for $730.
Old 01-19-14, 05:14 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mortey
So you aren't worried about the end of the year? I guess I could have Lexus themselves check it out. My guy quoted $610 and Lexus wants to do it for $730.
It was the tech at the Lexus dealer that gave me the info. Is there a way they can actually just check the belt? It was in for the steering rack at the time.
Old 01-19-14, 06:12 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

It is possible to check for cracks, broken teeth and play in the belt. Timing cover has to be removed first.
Old 01-19-14, 06:30 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Had my 200000km service the other day at a Toyota servicing centre. They mentioned that the timing belt is required to be replaced. Apparently my car didn't get the timing belt done at the 150000km service interval. Thankfully for me I got a quote from Lexus and they are $300 cheaper than everyone else that I have called. Car goes in on Wednesday to get the belt done. Wonder which Lexus complementary car I get this time around?
Old 09-23-14, 04:41 PM
Lexie2004
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2004 RX 330 (2 wheel drive) Lexus - When is timing belt recommended?

Hi. I am new to Club Lexus. I have a 2004 RX 330 Lexus (2 wheel drive - not AWD) with $130,000 miles. I have no problems with car just routine maintenance. Mechanic recommends that I get the timing belt and water pump replaced at a cost of $1,500. Can anyone tell me how many miles they have driven their Lexus without replacing timing belt? Also, if I put cost in to Lexus to have timing belt and water pump replaced, how many more years, mileage can I expect to get out of the car? Thanks for any input anyone is willing to afford.
Old 09-23-14, 06:28 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexie2004
Hi. I am new to Club Lexus. I have a 2004 RX 330 Lexus (2 wheel drive - not AWD) with $130,000 miles. I have no problems with car just routine maintenance. Mechanic recommends that I get the timing belt and water pump replaced at a cost of $1,500. Can anyone tell me how many miles they have driven their Lexus without replacing timing belt? Also, if I put cost in to Lexus to have timing belt and water pump replaced, how many more years, mileage can I expect to get out of the car? Thanks for any input anyone is willing to afford.
Look around for an independent that specializes in Toyota/Lexus .... you can get the timing belt/water pump replaced for about $600. At 130K, and the fact it is an interference engine design, you are pushing the limit.
Old 09-23-14, 08:36 PM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the older post by kiwi above. Mileage alone is not the determining factor here. Since the belt is made of rubber (among other materials), it will degrade over time especially in extreme (mostly hot) climates. The service manual recommends replacement at 90K miles but could be as early as 60K miles if time/climate issues come into play. I would think regular belt inspections after 6 years would be a good idea and DEFINITELY don't go past 10 years without a replacement regardless of mileage. Here's a page with a good overview of the RX timing belt as well as prices for replacement belts (that will set you back a whopping $20-60!!). For some reason, the url page link will not post correctly(??).

Lexus Rx330 Timing Belt

See More Lexus RX330 Timing Belt

Sending your child off to prom is similar to replacing your broken timing belt: it's eventually going to become reality, and you have to be prepared for it. In a combustion engine, the engine part which dictates the movement of the valves is the Lexus Rx330 timing belt. Timing belts are made with rubber alongside fiberglass and are constantly being used. It's necessary to get a brand new timing belt produced by Lexus Rx330 when it shows signs of damage.

Your ride's constructor ought to Lexus Rx330 prevalent the mileage that you are supposed to have your timing belt changed- anywhere between 60,000 and 90,000 miles -to help avoid piston and valve friction and damage. A timing belt degrades quicker when exposed to high temperatures, yielding a shorter lifespan-expectancy in scorching or leaky engines, given that it's made from rubber. It's the best time to order a timing belt manufactured by Lexus Rx330 the moment you see stripped teeth on your belt or the scattering of the fiber cores. A timing belt for Lexus Rx330 which is made with temperature-withstanding material or with rounded teeth, which lessen noise and last longer, are other belts you can pick from.

Parts Train is always willing to aid you you for all your auto and truck part wants and needs. Every single one of our timing belts-all 1,927 of them-are Original Equipment replacements and are top-quality. Getting you a terrific Gates timing belt, Dayco timing belt, or a Beck Arnley timing belt won't be a concern given that we have hundreds of them. Get one from Parts Train now and do not wait until the last minute to give your vehicle a fresh, new Lexus Rx330 timing belt!

Select Year for Lexus RX330 Timing Belt

Featured Products

2005 Lexus RX330 Timing Belt

Timing Belt View all images

Features
Description
Vehicle Info

•Brand: Gates
•Quantitysold: Sold Individually

Market Price :$22.13

Discount Price :$16.16

Total Savings :$5.97

Features
Description
Vehicle Info

•Brand: AC Delco

Market Price :$39.25

Discount Price :$22.55

Total Savings :$16.70

Features
Description
Vehicle Info

•Brand: Beck Arnley

Market Price :$50.38

Discount Price :$44.42

Total Savings :$5.96

Features
Description
Vehicle Info

•Brand: Mitsuboshi

Market Price :$45.95

Discount Price :$45.95

Total Savings :$0.00

Features
Description
Vehicle Info

•Brand: Dayco

Market Price :$27.94

Discount Price :$18.79

Total Savings :$9.15

Featured Lexus RX330 Parts
Old 06-12-15, 05:42 PM
jhook
Driver School Candidate

Cool Just changed my 04 RX330 timing belt

My timing belt was 11 years old. It had 90,000 miles on it. I changed it because the manual says to change it at 90,000 miles. It looks brand new, like the day it was taken out of the package at the factory. No cracks, no brittle areas, no discoloration, no splits, no signs of wear. This is one quality belt.

I'm all for doing recommended maintenance, and I always do the timing belts when required (though I pushed this a little on the age). But after an exhaustive Internet search, I have never heard of ANYONE ever breaking a timing belt on an RX330, and this belt looked literally showroom new. If I knew three days ago what I know now, I'd wait until 150,000 miles or 15 years on this specific car.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX330 Timing Belt Replacement