RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 10:21 AM
andyN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking to get my timing belt and water pump replaced... any recommendation on replacement parts brand? or should i just go with Toyota original parts?
Old 06-26-15, 10:32 AM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Happy with this kit

Old 06-26-15, 11:12 AM
jhook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andyN
looking to get my timing belt and water pump replaced... any recommendation on replacement parts brand? or should i just go with Toyota original parts?
I went with OEM parts from eBay. Toyota brand. But you can use a Mitsuboshi timing belt with an Aisin water pump just the same. Toyota takes those parts and rebadges them with the Toyota name.
Old 09-11-15, 02:28 PM
brianmch
Driver

Originally Posted by jhook
My timing belt was 11 years old. It had 90,000 miles on it. I changed it because the manual says to change it at 90,000 miles. It looks brand new, like the day it was taken out of the package at the factory. No cracks, no brittle areas, no discoloration, no splits, no signs of wear. This is one quality belt.

I'm all for doing recommended maintenance, and I always do the timing belts when required (though I pushed this a little on the age). But after an exhaustive Internet search, I have never heard of ANYONE ever breaking a timing belt on an RX330, and this belt looked literally showroom new. If I knew three days ago what I know now, I'd wait until 150,000 miles or 15 years on this specific car.
I just bought an RX330 with 142K miles. The belt hasn't been changed so i'll do it. Got the car at a pretty good discount.

Lexus wants $550 for the belt and another $450 to do the water pump while they're in there. Which is crap as the water pump is $225 and 3 bolts. It has to come off when doing the Tbelt. If they'd do it for $800 total I'd pull the trigger but not $1,000.

Any DIY reports here? I've done some in the past and some are easier than others. '92 325I was kind of a PITA. Chrysler Minivan Definitely a PITA. Mitsubishi Diamante not too bad, except that my Dad/helper didn't get it fully seated then it sheared 2 days later and trashed the block.
Old 09-12-15, 02:25 PM
rsen99
Driver School Candidate

Check out this thread I started a few years ago for a 2004 RX330

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...mp-change.html
Old 10-01-15, 06:34 PM
rx330newb
Driver School Candidate

Default What's fair pricing for seemingly thorough service?

Hi, I'm new to the Lexus world. Big fan of this already. I recently purchased a 2004 RX 330 with approximately 94,000 miles. My current concern is the timing belt service as I have no service record for it. I called a well regarded Japanese auto shop in my area and was quoted about $800-1,000 for replacement of the timing belt, water pump, hydraulic fluid (?) and one additional belt (I believe), and possibly a flush of an additional fluid (not transmission and not engine so I'm not sure what else it would be at this point). I was told it would be a two day job (ie drop off Monday morning and pick it up end of Tuesday). I should have taken better notes when I called. Side note, this Lexus originally came from San Antonio, Texas and now it's in Washington state. So I would be concerned that in the hot Texas weather the belt could have deteriorated over the last 10-11 years.

Do you think that the quote of $800-$1,000 is fair? Many thanks!!
Old 10-01-15, 07:41 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

$800 is a fair deal assuming the components are OEM, Japanese parts, like Aisin etc. Hydraulic fluid...that's questionable, does it mean oil and tranny. too? Doubt it. Ask again.

However the spread of 800 to 1000 is a bit dubious, that a 25% increase.
Old 10-02-15, 05:59 AM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

In all my years working for Lexus I never worked on a car that the timing belt failed all by itself. In most cases a leaking water pump took out the bearing on the idler pulley or the bearing itself just failed. Never and I mean never ever did I see the belt fail on its own. Now with that said, I am not saying that you don't need to replace it, just don't let a service tech scare you into thinking that it is going to break at exactly 60 or 90 or 120K because that is pure BS.

I will tell you that if you do plan to change the timing belt, play it safe and buy a new idler and tensioner assy and if a water pump is in the picture replace it as well along with the front crank seal and the crank bolt as it can stretch after first install from the factory, measure new vs old you will see.

While the balancer is off inspect the key way, if you see that any part of the key way is not square and has a rounded edge you better replace it and the key on the crank and inspect the rubber isolator for cracking or a future repair may be much more expensive than you ever imagined. As a side note I have only seen this on cars that had the timing belt replaced prior or the balancer removed, this is why I always replace the crank bolt and add blue thread locker and torque to spec with the correct balancer holding tool and a torque wrench and not an impact gun like I see so many knuckle heads doing.

Whatever you do, don't panic because you are 1 mile from replacement interval, price out the parts and replacement estimate, cut back you Starbucks consumption and start saving to have the job done. Don't let the tech scare you into doing something that doesn't need to be done at the moment.

If you have a car with a manual trans and you are beating the snot out of it, I would be watching the belt much closer if your a high rpm clutch dumper.
Old 10-05-15, 01:14 PM
ebear695
Driver School Candidate

+1 to what Lexusfixer said. I have my 05 330's belt, pump, term and all the related parts replaced at 110,000, belt was pristine, but the piece of mind was priceless. At 20,000 miles past req replacement in SoCal and my plans to keep this veh for many years, the maintenance was money well spent for me. $1000 for the repair at a very good indi located in Monrovia, Ca, Steve is the owner, he has earned my business and trust for important work and knowledge on both of my Lexus. I had est as high as 1600-1800 at other indi's and the dealer. Like to know what Lexus dealer will do a tb for $600. I think thats a hook to get you in and then charge you up!
Old 10-16-15, 08:26 AM
brianmch
Driver

Originally Posted by rsen99
Check out this thread I started a few years ago for a 2004 RX330

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...mp-change.html
Thx for the link! It's been pretty hectic round here and I've pretty much parked it till I get it done. This link/thread you provided is invaluable. Esp the tool hint!
Old 12-13-15, 11:15 AM
LYVEWIRE
5th Gear

Originally Posted by draco
Had my 200000km service the other day at a Toyota servicing centre. They mentioned that the timing belt is required to be replaced. Apparently my car didn't get the timing belt done at the 150000km service interval. Thankfully for me I got a quote from Lexus and they are $300 cheaper than everyone else that I have called. Car goes in on Wednesday to get the belt done. Wonder which Lexus complementary car I get this time around?
I too have over 200K and have noticed a few things. When it rains it squeals, when I accelerate there is a chirping noise coming from inside the hood, (sounds like a pulley maybe) and my gas is only 14mpg roughly.My questions are:

- did you notice a difference in how it drove when you had the timing belt done
- any difference in gas consumption (how much were you getting)
- did you do a tuneup a well

I'm thinking of having these things done to help with the MPG because I like the car but the gas is poor. Planned on taking a few trips in this SUV but now I'm not so sure I'll have it longer than a year. I had an Avalon prior & felt this was the SUV version maybe although I been told the Pilot and Highlanders were better for gas they're just ugly. I appreciate any feedback
Old 12-15-15, 06:43 AM
arnoldslex
Driver School Candidate

Default 14 mpg?

Originally Posted by LYVEWIRE
I too have over 200K and have noticed a few things. When it rains it squeals, when I accelerate there is a chirping noise coming from inside the hood, (sounds like a pulley maybe) and my gas is only 14mpg roughly.My questions are:

- did you notice a difference in how it drove when you had the timing belt done
- any difference in gas consumption (how much were you getting)
- did you do a tuneup a well

I'm thinking of having these things done to help with the MPG because I like the car but the gas is poor. Planned on taking a few trips in this SUV but now I'm not so sure I'll have it longer than a year. I had an Avalon prior & felt this was the SUV version maybe although I been told the Pilot and Highlanders were better for gas they're just ugly. I appreciate any feedback
Actually the 330 does about the same as the Highlander. They get some of the best MPG for All Wheel Drive. We get routinely about 23-24 on the Highway and about 18 around town. Got 26.5 once running it at the speed limit and coasting on hills on about a 100 mile highway run. You probably need new plugs, Air Filter (Get a K&N) or you could have a bad Air/Fuel Sensor. Tire Pressure? Any Check engine lights? Squealing is usually the outer Accessory Belts. You could have a bad exterior Tensioner for that belt. The Timing belt normally does not Squeal as it has Teeth on it.
Old 12-16-15, 06:42 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The outer accessory belts will squeal if too loose. Note don't forget to clean the MAF sensor with maf cleaner.