RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 rx350 wheel lock socket

Old 01-08-14, 10:19 AM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 rx350 wheel lock socket

Hello

I just took notice the dealer did not provide a socket to take off the wheel locks. Any idea where I could get a socket for these locks? Thanks
Old 01-08-14, 10:27 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

These are usually stored in the with the jack or in one of the other two back lower compartments.
Old 01-08-14, 10:45 AM
Rainbird

If you cannot find one stored in the vehicle the Lexus dealership would be able to provide the correct wheel lock key number.
Old 01-08-14, 12:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jesrob
Hello

I just took notice the dealer did not provide a socket to take off the wheel locks. Any idea where I could get a socket for these locks? Thanks
Originally Posted by Rainbird
These are usually stored in the with the jack or in one of the other two back lower compartments.
Yes, it should be in with the tool kit stored in the rear hatch area of your vehicle.

Like many topics here at CL, this has been discussed previous. The locks are from McGard. If you search the forums here you would find a number of such threads, such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-lock-key.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-lug-key.html
Old 01-08-14, 01:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/cust...ng-information
Old 01-08-14, 05:02 PM
Rainbird

I think these wheel locks are in many ways more trouble than they are worth. I guess it could depend if the vehicle is not garaged or the neighborhood you live in. I bought four new OEM Standard Lug Nuts and replaced the wheel locks.
Old 01-08-14, 05:06 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternative is, if you look at your booklet that contains manual, tire warranty, etc.. it should have an order card from McGard that you can order a duplicate for.

By the way, are you saying that the dealer misplaced the key or is it your first time looking for the key? If it's the dealer, make them pay for it! Time to give stealership hard time!!!
Old 01-08-14, 05:24 PM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I cannot find it anywhere. I have the vehicle about 1 month and have been getting a runaround by the dealership. Actually never received a plate and the temp. expired. long story and hours of being on the phone. I cannot get a response about another temp plate. Paperwork was not even filed and it still shows on the previous owner. Believe me a long story. It was purchased in New Jersey and I am in PA. Any ideas
Old 01-09-14, 09:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Best way, go to McGard website. You only need to email them the picture of your lock. They will sell you a key, in less than a week. Cost maybe around $15 tops. It is a shame that the Lexus dealer did not get you a key, they have the master keys for all of the locks (I think there are only 7 keys). I know this because a Lexus Tech showed me. They should have ordered you one gratis.

I have dumped my locks on the RX. Ask me why...one tire rotation, I left the key on the lock and it went to lala land. So I tokk pics, McGard sent me the key.

I still have them on the SC and IS.

In my checklist when rotating tires, final step, take key off lock and keep safe.

Lesson well learned. I must admit I have done it 2x (leave key on lock after I bought a new key and both times found the key in our driveway once and you would not believe it, the 2nd was found on the street by the subdivision entrance, by chance (wife did). Just imagine the crap that I had to endure from the wifey!

Have you heard the line...you are getting old!
Old 01-09-14, 11:40 AM
Denvermgb
Rookie

I lost my key, too. When I went to Lexus, I had the key code # so it was no problem getting replacements. I purchased two keys so I keep one in the vehicle and the other in my garage.
Old 01-10-14, 06:38 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Denvermgb
I lost my key, too. When I went to Lexus, I had the key code # so it was no problem getting replacements. I purchased two keys so I keep one in the vehicle and the other in my garage.
Great idea to have a spare!!
Old 01-10-14, 10:00 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Great idea to have a spare!!
Government mentality, why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price.
Old 01-10-14, 01:00 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Government mentality, why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price.
LOL, you got a point, but maybe save some $ on shipping...yah right.
Old 01-13-14, 02:20 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

The real PITA is my time. I had to take at hour to go down to the stealership to get the wheel locks when I could have been completing the service on my vehicles on a Saturday!
Old 01-13-14, 02:40 PM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I think these wheel locks are in many ways more trouble than they are worth. I guess it could depend if the vehicle is not garaged or the neighborhood you live in. I bought four new OEM Standard Lug Nuts and replaced the wheel locks.
I agree, is a solution looking for a problem in most cases.I had them swapped out years ago for OM nuts when the guys at Sam's told me told could not rotate the tires without replacing them.

Need to get the ones on my GX swapped out for regular one now too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 rx350 wheel lock socket