RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 06:15 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?

I'm replacing my stereo head unit (HU) because it's given me the dastardly "Error 4" a few hundred too many times and is now forever stuck. I tried resetting the ECU and have pulled the fuse and replaced it to reset the HU, all to no avail. A Beatsonic rep told me that our North American models only have 2 channels, which caught me off-guard because we have 2 axes of control for volume bias, which would indicate 4 channels. Is the Beatsonic rep correct?

So that being said, it seems that Beatsonic is basically the ClubLexus standard for harnesses, but do you guys know how the alternatives stack up against it? I'd like to retain Front-Rear fade function, because I prefer to bias my volume slightly to the rear. I don't know if Metra and Axxess are the same, but how do they compare to Beatsonic? And are there other manufacturers that I should consider as well?
Old 12-09-13, 09:39 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That is correct. The head unit only puts out left and right. The head unit also sends a signal to the amplifier...this signal tells the amplifier how loud to make the volume and which speakers to send it to (ie. right, left, front, back). So in other words...the amplifier is doing all the work.
Old 12-09-13, 09:45 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

On another note...It would probably be cheaper to find a used OEM unit on ebay. OEM looks better anyhow. Also...Maybe consider getting an iPod interface. I use the Media Bridge from Dice electronics. It is nice because it has a USB port, so you can use it with devices other than Apple. I don't remember the last time I used an actual CD.
Old 12-12-13, 04:06 PM
Packrat1
Driver School Candidate

Highly recommend the Beatsonic Harness there is something to be said about doing it right the first time. I haven't heard any complaints on the Beatsonic harness but I have heard some people having to tweak the Metra harness to get it to work.

True the Beatsonic harness can't fade front to back but I have found the sound is very good even with out that feature.
Old 12-14-13, 06:16 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

I've purchased the Axxess AX-ADBOX1, AWSC-1, and TYTO-1. I will try these out first, because I'm a purist and can't get past the idea of paying more to lose something I once had, especially with a significantly cheaper option. That being said, I'm soldering everything up with eutectic silver solder, so I'm doing things as right as can be (even though the rest of my system doesn't warrant going with that solder).
Old 12-14-13, 08:01 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I haven't been on here regularly as I use to but when I did my setup over a year ago, I thought I did my due diligence but found out afterwards there were different options.

The beatsonic also has a steering wheel module that's included, but the reason why I also bought the axxess steering wheel control is because I didn't want to lose most of the options that I've become accustomed too with the factory wheel. At the time, Axxess was the only one that was self programable and easy to set up. I'm a computer tech not a car installer so I didn't want to get too deep in a realm that I was not that familiar with.

I documented my steps and the reason why is that I found others had did the same before me, which helped me out a great deal and gave me the confidence to do it myself and to know what I was doing and if something went wrong I have a better idea how to fix it or what needs to be fixed.

I encourage those who choose to do an install yourself to do the same for someone else.
The following users liked this post:
sbryant324 (05-10-19)
Old 01-06-14, 02:05 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ho0n
I've purchased the Axxess AX-ADBOX1, AWSC-1, and TYTO-1. I will try these out first, because I'm a purist and can't get past the idea of paying more to lose something I once had, especially with a significantly cheaper option. That being said, I'm soldering everything up with eutectic silver solder, so I'm doing things as right as can be (even though the rest of my system doesn't warrant going with that solder).
ho0n, I have the same exact parts getting ready to go into a 2008 RX400h using the AVS-X3500BHS for a HU. I've been trying to find the Beat-Sonic RX-82 unit but man the price is through the roof. Have you completed the job yet? were there any significant issues? What did you loose if anything? Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Old 01-06-14, 03:43 PM
Packrat1
Driver School Candidate

One thing I can tell you the Beatsonic harness does fit and work but... I just found out one must set the fade, treble bass and other tweaks to 0 or neutral before unplugging the factory radio. Also the volume must be set at 50%. Apparently the factory amp "remembers" those settings. This may be why my mids and tweets are much lower volume than the door woofers.
Old 01-06-14, 09:36 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Antolope
ho0n, I have the same exact parts getting ready to go into a 2008 RX400h using the AVS-X3500BHS for a HU. I've been trying to find the Beat-Sonic RX-82 unit but man the price is through the roof. Have you completed the job yet? were there any significant issues? What did you loose if anything? Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Antolope, I didn't have any significant problems except to discover somebody failed to replace (or maybe even initially install) 2 bolts into the radio mounts. It was a little bit of a tedious task to join and solder the wires, and I had a bit of confusion with the wire for power antenna. whether this model used an amplified antenna (definitely not a power antenna), but found it doesn't, so I left this one covered. As for functions, I can't tell that I've lost anything. This headunit, however, cannot fully open for disc access when in park because of our tall shifter. This is a slight nuisance for me because I invest in CDs and DVDs. However, if this continues to annoy me, I may go and shorten the shaft and pick up a **** or maybe even make one myself.

Originally Posted by Packrat1
One thing I can tell you the Beatsonic harness does fit and work but... I just found out one must set the fade, treble bass and other tweaks to 0 or neutral before unplugging the factory radio. Also the volume must be set at 50%. Apparently the factory amp "remembers" those settings. This may be why my mids and tweets are much lower volume than the door woofers.
I did read this as well, but I can't really pick up on any issues with fade/balance or EQ. In looking at the service manual for the amp, I can't find any indication that the amp has an onboard battery, so it seems that resetting the car should reset the amp as well. If this itches at me, I'll go and borrow the radio unit from my family friend who also owns a non-navigation 2RX and reset it the hard way.
Old 01-07-14, 05:59 AM
gasconguy
Driver

I'm thinking I will probably replace my head unit as well, and in that case should go for the amp and speaker change-out at the same time.

Good call on the CD loading problem; that's something to consider when buying a hu...

My question is, where specifically is the factory amp located (2007 RX350, no nav or ML)? Is it impossible to remove it and put the new after market amp in the same place, and decipher which wires can be used for the new equipment?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-14, 07:38 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gasconguy
I'm thinking I will probably replace my head unit as well, and in that case should go for the amp and speaker change-out at the same time.

Good call on the CD loading problem; that's something to consider when buying a hu...

My question is, where specifically is the factory amp located (2007 RX350, no nav or ML)? Is it impossible to remove it and put the new after market amp in the same place, and decipher which wires can be used for the new equipment?

Thanks.
Sorry, I should have clarified: discs can be loaded and ejected without any problem whatsoever. My annoyance is entirely about the shifter being obstructive to the door function.
Old 01-07-14, 11:26 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Thanks.

So, how hard is it, once you have a hu, the metra/beatsonic steering wheel control adapter, the double din faceplate, and a new amp and speakers, to just trash everything existing and wire all new? Sounds like there are a lot of people adding iPod, XM, etc controls to existing hu and it sounds like a big PITA... would it be that much harder to put all the above-mentioned items in? Is there another mysterious circumstance I should know about??? Thanks
Old 01-07-14, 11:47 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gasconguy
Thanks.

So, how hard is it, once you have a hu, the metra/beatsonic steering wheel control adapter, the double din faceplate, and a new amp and speakers, to just trash everything existing and wire all new? Sounds like there are a lot of people adding iPod, XM, etc controls to existing hu and it sounds like a big PITA... would it be that much harder to put all the above-mentioned items in? Is there another mysterious circumstance I should know about??? Thanks
If you are near one of the Car Toys stores in CO you can talk to them about the installation. They can handle all that for you. Carver used them for his install. You do not want to go in and just remove everything as that may cause such items at the HVAC and security to not work proper.

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/webpa...tion/storepref

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html
Old 01-07-14, 01:30 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you are near one of the Car Toys stores in CO you can talk to them about the installation. They can handle all that for you. Carver used them for his install. You do not want to go in and just remove everything as that may cause such items at the HVAC and security to not work proper.

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/webpa...tion/storepref

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html
Gascon, what RX330inFL says is pretty poignant. I don't know which model and trim you have. I hear that the Mark Levinson and Navi packages can both cause some issues, so I can't outright say jump into it for you. Another detail to consider is your familiarity, comfort level, and confidence with this. I tackled this because I've racked up hours and moments working on my car (replacement of brake lines, rotors, & pads, rotations & countless flat tires, short-ram intake install, etc.) as well as with electronic audio equipment. I've changed wiring on and modified electric guitars as well as guitar amps, soldering up my own instrument cables, etc. And I ALWAYS go by a complete read of any instructions and other pertinent info followed by a triple-double-check rule with anything I do with my hands (confirm the requirements and measurements of the task 3 times before the job and check the quality of my work twice after).
Old 01-07-14, 01:31 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Yeah I guess I should go talk to them. The dealer I bought the car from is a family friend, and I can get his pricing through Drive-In Auto, but same same I would guess.

Quick Reply: Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?