RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?

Old 10-18-16, 06:30 AM
ppith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished working with a local installer who ran into the same issue. After two days of searching these forums, I stumbled upon this thread which clarified the need for the resistor and which pins it needs to be put on. My installer couldn't find the box/resistor, but he had an equivalent resistor that worked for me. After the resistor was installed, all was well with my A/C controls (kind of a big deal here in Phoenix metro area). I wrote to Crutchfield who thought the manual would have stated the need for the resistor, but we couldn't find the box/manual to confirm that. Thank you again for posting this solution. It should be added to the many threads about aftermarket stereos being installed in Lexus RX cars (not sure if newer RX have this issue, mine is a 2006). Like you, I looked at the Beatsonic prices and went with the Metra kit. In my opinion, it looks fine in my RX.

Originally Posted by Antolope
Oh Boy, this is a bit embarrassing but better it come out now because I am trying to help whoever finds this thread and needs the help that I needed.

In my last post I stated that I had to take my OEM HU and chop it up into pieces to make the NAV and Climate Controls come back. It was either this or pay Beatsonic the outrageous amount of money for an RX-82 adapter I thought I would need.

It turns out that I did not need the Beatsonic adapter nor did I need to tear apart the OEM HU. The Metra 99-8159s face kit I purchased came with an OHM resistor. The instructions that came with that kit were incomplete and did not mention the OHM resistor so I did not know what it was for and tossed it in the trash.

I found out later that by inserting one end of the OHM resistor in the pin 9 and the other end in pin 10 of that extra connector I've been referring to in my previous posts, I could get my climate controls and factory NAV back. I still don't have sound but had my instructions from the mtera kit been complete, I would not have had to destroy my stock OEM unit.

So for whoever this may help, If you have the 08 RX-400h with factory NAV, you can very inexpensively replace the Factory HU with an aftermarket radio and make it so that you can reinstall the OEM HU with out a problem if you ever have to. As a final note here's my complete list:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL (eBay $40-$50)
2) Metra Axxess AX-ADBOX1 Factory Integration Adapter (integrates the OEM amp) (eBay $90)
3) Metra Axxess AX-ADTY01 ADBOX Stereo Installation Harness (So I don't need to splice into factory wires, just plug and play) (eBay $18)
4) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS (eBay - find the one for your particular radio model $20)
6) Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.
7) Metra Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel (eBay $12)
8) Mini USB Dual Cig 2-Port Car Charger Adaptor (eBay 3 for $6)

Here's the instructions from the Metra kit I am referring to, hope this helps:
Old 03-01-17, 03:46 AM
elvis01
Driver School Candidate

the lexus RX400h it is of 2008 Nav + Mark levinson

Ax-ADBOX1 ok
AX-ADTY01 ok
ASWC-1 ok

Where connect the left connector (hand) ?
No slot for this connector

Thank you

Old 03-03-17, 03:40 AM
elvis01
Driver School Candidate

Person for opinions?

thanksssss
Old 03-05-17, 12:25 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by elvis01
Person for opinions?

thanksssss
From my understanding if you have a a Mark Levinson system your options are limited to a Beat-Sonic RX-82AAD adapter, unless you can figure out a way to gut out your original Mark Levinson system for adaption in order for the Metra adapters to work.
I have Navigation but no Mark Levinson & abandoned any attempt to upgrade with Metra with much better odds than you have.
I have upgraded stereos in countless numbers of vehicles, Lexus wins the award as most confusing & complicated vehicle, unless you are willing to spend $$$$.
Old 03-31-17, 11:30 PM
viffer
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
From my understanding if you have a a Mark Levinson system your options are limited to a Beat-Sonic RX-82AAD adapter, unless you can figure out a way to gut out your original Mark Levinson system for adaption in order for the Metra adapters to work.
I have Navigation but no Mark Levinson & abandoned any attempt to upgrade with Metra with much better odds than you have.
I have upgraded stereos in countless numbers of vehicles, Lexus wins the award as most confusing & complicated vehicle, unless you are willing to spend $$$$.
05RX330AWD, don't give up...you can do it...I have an 04 RX330 with Nav, no Mark Levinson. I just did it and upgraded to the Pioneer 4200NEX. Spent $117 for the following: Metra dash kit, Axxess TYTO-01 wiring harness, the iDataLink Maestro SW steering wheel control and the Microbypass.
Old 04-01-17, 06:55 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by viffer
05RX330AWD, don't give up...you can do it...I have an 04 RX330 with Nav, no Mark Levinson. I just did it and upgraded to the Pioneer 4200NEX. Spent $117 for the following: Metra dash kit, Axxess TYTO-01 wiring harness, the iDataLink Maestro SW steering wheel control and the Microbypass.
Microbypass, unsure if I would need that part as I do have a roughly 2 year old Pioneer Double Din Stereo (nothing super fancy, Radio, CD player with USB) from my previous vehicle.
As the stock Lexus Radio, CD & Tape Player are functioning great, the Pioneer is on hold for now.
If I do decide to upgrade eventually, (sitting at the bottom in my "RX to do job jar") as I am presently dealing with more urgent maintenance & repair issues as my Tailgate Glass exploded ($250 deductible), need 2 tires & more.
Money is too tight to mention these days.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 04-01-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 08:23 AM
viffer
Driver School Candidate

Microbypass, unsure if I would need that part as I do have a roughly 2 year old Pioneer Double Din Stereo (nothing super fancy, Radio, CD player with USB) from my previous vehicle.
As the stock Lexus Radio, CD & Tape Player are functioning great, the Pioneer is on hold for now.
If I do decide to upgrade eventually, (sitting at the bottom in my "RX to do job jar") as I am presently dealing with more urgent maintenance & repair issues as my Tailgate Glass exploded ($250 deductible), need 2 tires & more.
Money is too tight to mention these days.
05RX330, if you only have a radio, CD player w/ USB, then no, you don't need a Microbypass. The Microbypass is only if you have DVD player capability or if you decide to add Miracast to your stereo system.
Old 04-01-17, 09:01 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

05RX330, if you only have a radio, CD player w/ USB, then no, you don't need a Microbypass. The Microbypass is only if you have DVD player capability or if you decide to add Miracast to your stereo system.
Good to know, the other reason for the hesitation to upgrade, is the factory CD Player is the 6 CDs version therefore more or less 6 hours of music which suits me fine until the "RX Job Jar" gets much lighter.
Old 04-03-17, 06:02 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Another thought, I do have the Bluetooth feature, most likely will be lost once upgraded with a limited features Pioneer stereo...
probably another reason not to upgrade unless absolutely necessary ( if the factory stereo fails completely).
Old 04-03-17, 09:29 AM
viffer
Driver School Candidate

Another thought, I do have the Bluetooth feature, most likely will be lost once upgraded with a limited features Pioneer stereo...
probably another reason not to upgrade unless absolutely necessary ( if the factory stereo fails completely).
If your Pioneer doesn't have Bluetooth, you definitely don't want to upgrade to that. When it is time for you to upgrade, consider an updated head unit that has Bluetooth and compatible with your phone to use for calls, Pandora or Spotify. You can get a unit with these features for $200.
Old 04-03-17, 09:56 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

If your Pioneer doesn't have Bluetooth, you definitely don't want to upgrade to that. When it is time for you to upgrade, consider an updated head unit that has Bluetooth and compatible with your phone to use for calls, Pandora or Spotify. You can get a unit with these features for $200.
Actually I do not even use the Bluetooth feature as I do not even own a cellular phone (plain home phones are annoying enough at times).
I was thinking more along the lines of retaining a maximum value for the RX330 since it features the Navigation with Bluetooth.
Although if the factory stereo ever fails, no doubt I would upgrade with my no frills Pioneer, then I would be easily willing to sacrifice the Bluetooth feature.
Old 04-03-17, 02:26 PM
Packrat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Beat sonic harness

if you use beat sonic harness be sure to read the part in this thread about adjusting the volume and fader BEFORE you unplug any of the stock parts
Old 06-15-17, 06:09 AM
cfcubed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenwood DDX6703S in 2008 RX 350 non-ML & NAV

New here & gleaned lots (all?) my info for install here so wanted maybe give something back that may help others. Much thanks to all those that came before on this topic, wouldn't/couldn't have done it without you.

As this is a bit long how about I post the 2 questions I have about my install (see below):
1) Does anyone's FADE work when using an AX-ADBOX1**? I'd bought a used one (that was billed as new) off the bay so not sure if it was a pull because of this or not. VOLUME & BALANCE do work.
2) Anyone know if you can retain the OEM Bluetooth phone features, e.g. will it pipe through speakers? Know this is a bit lazy & I could test this myself. Asking because this is a new install in my wife's car & I'm getting push-back on the complexity/differences in use (something to consider before embarking on this.

I used Antolope's post #29 install components + SiriusXM SXV300 - USB/AUX in panel mounts. All the expensive (> $20) pieces came off the bay as either new or refurb (** except ADBOX-1 which as billed as new but came used - seller made good through partial refund). Got *everything* for this install for almost exactly $500 shipped. Didn't want/need NAV in radio, didn't want to pay for map & traffic so using Garmin Nuvi if/when cell reception is bad. So watching budget & reviews & requiring a rotary volume **** + CarPlay it came down to Sony XAV-AX100 (not Sirius ready) & Kenwood DDX6703S (Sirius ready). Wife has long commute, had XMSnap for years & wanted her XM/Sirius radio, so the Kenwood.

Will say you gotta really want this to DIY (or pay for it), I've done this sort of thing before but as we know the Lexus radio wiring is beastly. Pretty much took a whole day to do the install. I'm happy with the result & the wife should be someday soon after she gets used to it

First a few tips others may have mentioned but bare repeating:
* I stuffed towels in try to catch anything that may drop.
* used pluggable magnetic nut drivers w/extension - those upper-left & upper-right bolts are pesky.
* 2X+ check everything functions before shoving it all it. If your new HU has a fan try to leave space open behind it - hard to do in this install - I shoved thin foam back & down below radio cubby to make a sort of pocket for the mess. And loads of ZIP ties of course.
* Adding NuShield 136 x 76 DayVue for Kenwood Excelon DDX5902, DDX6702S, DDX6903S cause it was recommended & glare has been an issue.
* Take your time & have plenty of it, 2X+ check your work. I'd not planned on 1 hr+ for radio/screen position/fitment/faceplate dremelling (made more difficult as volume **** needed full exposure).
* Every time I disconnected/reconnected battery ground during testing I had to do the reset thing for the ADBOX-1 to get sound out of it. The first time that happened I panicked (no sound after all this work!) It's reset is in manual - IIRC turn on ignition, wait 20 secs or so, turn off ignition, wait 20 secs or so then turn on again & it'd function. Found I could force it by turning its little blue volume pot all the way down then back to 1/2 up (RED LED next to it lights).

Anyway everything (steering controls, climate controls (thanks to 68R resistor in free-floating OEM 12-pin pins 9+10), OEM NAV (less maybe sound - didn't try it), audio feed) works as it should. OK pictures... I always solder & shrink-wrap, WRT ASWC-1 it was odd to connect the 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm socket in rats nest & that 3.5mm socket - only had 1 of its wires connected, not crazy about Metra plastic side mounts vs metal but couldn't get OEM to work for flush mount (to use radio's ****). Note: In rats nest interface pics ADBOX & ASWC are not fully plugged in at that point, BLUE/YELLOW/BLACK wires were separated in install manual so so did I.

Thanks again guys!
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-8.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-1.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-3.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-4.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-5.jpg  

Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-6.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_-7.jpg  
Old 06-16-17, 03:34 AM
cfcubed
Driver School Candidate

Default Maybe this answers my FADER Adbox1 query...

Earlier in this thread WRT 2007 RX400H with navigation but not Mark Levinson....
Originally Posted by LophatRX
The AX-Adbox1 will keep your fade front to back. I just put mine up for sale in the classifieds. I ordered it and they TYT0-01 and they both do basically the same thing. <snip>
Reads like fade should work w/my setup & doesn't. Its not a wiring issue so maybe my used ADBOX1 has the problem. No biggie as I'm pretty sure my wife never adjusted balance or fade (or bass or treble?) in her car so won't miss it. And the "default" fade sounds fine, I'd have only tweaked it slightly anyway.
And WRT my other question is probably "No, you can't get OEM Bluetooth audio out through this setup", which is fine she'll have to use the new stuff.

To round the install doc out; I located new mic up in OEM overhead console location like others & settled on left-hand cupholder for phone location after not finding anywhere on right that'd work as well...
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_2_-2.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_2_-1.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-lexus_radio_2_-3.jpg  
Old 07-22-17, 08:06 PM
Cruz77321
Driver School Candidate

Default Which resistor?

I hoping to install my aftermarket HU in my 2005 RX330. I ordered Metra Axxess TYTO-01, and Axxess ASWC-1. I had previously ordered a face plate from another supplier before I know about the Metra Dask kit. I believe the Metra Dash kit comes with a 68 OHM resistor to get the climate controls to work. I would like to order this resistor separately but need to know the wattage of the resistor to order. Does anyone know the wattage of the resistor to install in order to get the climate controls to work? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Justinsk82 (09-23-21)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?