RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Tonneau Cover... Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 04:19 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 RX330 Tonneau Cover... Which One?

Hey all...

To recap a previous thread of mine (see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-adapters.html), I'm considering possibly trying once again to pick up a tonneau cover for my wife's 2004 RX330.

Knowing now that there are 2 different versions, one made for vehicles manufactured in Canada versus one made for vehicles manufactured in Japan... does anybody know how to tell which is which?

I'm looking at one on ebay that is part number 64910-0E010-B0. I've googled to see if there's any way to know whether or not this would fit my wife's vehicle (hers was manufactured in Canada), but as of yet haven't found anything that looks to be definitive. I've asked the seller as well, who told me that they would get back to me, but as of yet, they have not.

I'll ping them again, but figured there's a higher likelihood that, given the part number, somebody here might be able to tell.

Thanks!
Charlie
Old 11-27-13, 10:26 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

$606 with CL discount....

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/5661.html
Old 11-27-13, 10:30 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Yes, well there is one on Ebay that's slightly less than $606. Used, but significantly cheaper

But as I've already purchased one on Ebay only to find out that it didn't fit my wife's car as well as it should (apparently it was for a model manufactured in Japan), I'd like to try to not make that mistake again.

This particular listing does specify the part number (64910-0E010-B0). I just can't seem to figure out whether that specific part number will fit my wife's car as it should, or whether I'll be out yet another ~ $200.
Old 11-27-13, 11:43 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CJG
Yes, well there is one on Ebay that's slightly less than $606. Used, but significantly cheaper

But as I've already purchased one on Ebay only to find out that it didn't fit my wife's car as well as it should (apparently it was for a model manufactured in Japan), I'd like to try to not make that mistake again.

This particular listing does specify the part number (64910-0E010-B0). I just can't seem to figure out whether that specific part number will fit my wife's car as it should, or whether I'll be out yet another ~ $200.
I can tell you with near 100% certainty that the part you are asking about is grey colored and fits only Canadian built RX in the 2004 model year.
Old 11-27-13, 11:49 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are some tonneau covers in the Club Lexus Marketplace & Classified. Some as low as $50. Since they are members you can communicate with them easily. Search the forum using the keyword Tonneau. I noticed that some of these were posted years ago and may no longer be available.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...lassifieds-37/

Last edited by Rainbird; 11-27-13 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-27-13, 12:46 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I can tell you with near 100% certainty that the part you are asking about is grey colored and fits only Canadian built RX in the 2004 model year.
Cool. Based on my own googling, I know the "B0" at the end is for the grey color. Out of curiosity, what makes you say it's for the Canadian manufactured vehicles? If so, great, as it'll fit my wife's car. Not that I don't believe you, but I'm a little bite-shy after dropping just over $200 (after shipping costs) on the one that's currently in the vehicle

This one, FWIW, is $175 and free shipping. Seeing as how we hope to have the car for a LONG time, it's worth it to me to make just one more attempt at getting the correct part.
Old 11-27-13, 12:48 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
There are some tonneau covers in the Club Lexus Marketplace & Classified. Some as low as $50. Since they are members you can communicate with them easily. Search the forum using the keyword Tonneau. I noticed that some of these were posted years ago and may no longer be available.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...lassifieds-37/
Thanks, Rainbird. Yeah, i checked here frequently, as well as Craigslist and Ebay. But as you say, most of the ads here seem to be much older. I don't think I'll have luck finding the grey tonneau cover here.

I had found one on Craigslist that was $150 and very local, but it was tan, and I needed grey.
Old 11-27-13, 01:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJG
Cool. Based on my own googling, I know the "B0" at the end is for the grey color. Out of curiosity, what makes you say it's for the Canadian manufactured vehicles? If so, great, as it'll fit my wife's car. Not that I don't believe you, but I'm a little bite-shy after dropping just over $200 (after shipping costs) on the one that's currently in the vehicle

This one, FWIW, is $175 and free shipping. Seeing as how we hope to have the car for a LONG time, it's worth it to me to make just one more attempt at getting the correct part.
The best way to tell is to see if they will place a ruler next to one of the clips and take a picture to send you. Only way to be for sure what you are getting.
Old 11-27-13, 02:05 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The best way to tell is to see if they will place a ruler next to one of the clips and take a picture to send you. Only way to be for sure what you are getting.
*sigh* I wish I was smart.

That's a fantastic idea. On it

Thanks!
Charlie
Old 11-27-13, 02:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Wait a minute... <wheels spinning, gears turning, smoke coming out my ears as I slam on the brakes> I was under the impression that the tonneau cover clips for NA (Canadian) produced 2004 RX330 were larger than those for the RX produced in Japan. I made a comment on the previous thread about the headrest posts being thicker on the NA edition and therefore the clips needed to be larger. Is it the other way around and that the Japanese produced 2004 RX have larger headrest posts? Your VIN starts with the number 2, correct?
Old 11-27-13, 03:08 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Yes, my VIN starts with a 2T2, indicating that it is Canadian-manufactured.

The tonneau cover that I purchased has clips that are too large for the headrest posts.

So the Japanese version apparently has the thicker headrest posts to the Canadian counterpart.
Old 11-27-13, 06:21 PM
Garyc170
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm missing something, why not just wrap a sufficient amount of tape around the headrest posts until the clips fit?

Last edited by Garyc170; 11-27-13 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-27-13, 07:38 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Garyc170
Unless I'm missing something, why not just wrap a sufficient amount of tape around the headrest posts until the clips fit?
Not a bad idea, and one that I'm ashamed to say I hadn't thought of myself (see above about wishing I were smart). But off the top of my head, I'd think that it could potentially result in the headrests not being able to go all the way down?

Also, and this may be hard to explain/describe, there are two main "sections" to the tonneau cover. The shade itself, and a piece of fabric behind the mechanism that holds the rolled up shade. That's the fabric that connects to the headrests via the clips.

Now, maybe it's meant to be this way, but there's a lot more slack in that piece of fabric than I was expecting. And I thought that it might have been the fact that the cover I have was made for a Japanese manufactured vehicle while mine was manufactured in Canada. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that the correct cover would not only result in the clips fitting properly around the headrest posts, but also in that rear piece of fabric being much more taut.
Old 11-28-13, 06:56 AM
Garyc170
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, the tape would prevent the headrests from being set in their lowest position, but as in my case, the rear headrests are seldom ever moved. You can adjust your headrests to whatever height you like then apply the tape. I have a 2008 RX400h which is likely very similar to your RX. As far as the slack in the fabric portion is concerned, that is normal. Since the rear seats can be moved forward and back, I believe the slack is to compensate for the rear seats being moved to the most forward position.
Old 11-28-13, 08:52 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Garyc170
As far as the slack in the fabric portion is concerned, that is normal. Since the rear seats can be moved forward and back, I believe the slack is to compensate for the rear seats being moved to the most forward position.
Ah, that makes sense. The car is still only a little over a month new to us, so I'd forgotten that the rear seats move back and forward. Actually, I might not even have known that.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX330 Tonneau Cover... Which One?