RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Other Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 11:26 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Other Interior Lights

I tried searching for threads within this forum but keep getting errors. Searching for clublexus threads via google is inefficient. Sorry for opening yet another Interior Lights post. However I do notice some interior lights posts range from the simple map/dome/courtesy lights to the glovebox/doorsill/floormat lights and typically the thread ends with a link to a previous existing thread but sometimes the hyperlinks go off tangent to the original train of thought.

I have recently replaced some of my interior lights with cheap superbright White LEDs off eBay. The initial package came with:

1 - Front Dome Light; 35mm festoon
2 - Map Lights; (unknown bayonet)
2 - Courtesy Door Lights; (unknown wedge)
2 - Cargo Lights; 28mm festoon

The eBay seller was informed that the remaining 35mm festoon bulbs did not fit the center Dome nor the third Cargo light. I did also note that the 28mm festoon bulbs seemed a bit long for the cargo lights.

He is sending me a 41mm (Center Dome) and 27mm (Cargo) festoon for the remaining two lights.

He is also sending my two T10 wedges for my License Plate, and 4 vanity lights (from a bmw 5-series e60). If these lights are a good fit I will follow through with another post.

A quick search on Google gave me the BA9s as the replacment bulbs for the Map Lights, and T5 or 194 for the Courtesy Door Light wedges.

A search on Sylvania provided me part numbers for the Front Dome Light (DE3175; festoons ~31mm), Center Dome Light (578; a festoons ~41mm), Cargo Lights (DE3022; festoons ~27-31mm)... and Sylvania also lists a part number for the Glovebox Light!!! (2721; bulb size T1-3/4)

Does this mean unlike the door sills and floormat lights, the glovebox has a simple swappable light bulb? Are there any threads which give the how-to on replacing the sill LEDs? floormat LEDs? doorhandle LEDs? center console LEDs? or the ambient orange lights in the switch for the front dome?

I guess all in all interiors lights could be grouped into three stages. You can have first stage most people may stop after which is replacing all the lights within accessible housings. Second stage fewer people do is to replace the ambient orange LEDs which requires soldering... and the final stage typically seen in 90's rockets is to replace every LED in the dash panel, console panel, and window panels...

I dont plan on going into the third stage--but I hope in this thread is to provide either the info itself or a link to inquired info for swappable parts for the first stage of interior lights and potentially swappable parts for the second stage is possible. A walk-through or atleast how-to to finish the second stage including the door sill... and if anyone has ever toyed with the idea of the third stage, any insight on that..

from browsing some threads I have discovered some people have successfully replaced the orange door sill lights to white but never followed up with a walk-through. I have also seen someone gain access to their floormat lights to discover the LED is imbedded in it--no follow through. I have learned that some people wanted to replace the doorhandle LEDs but figured removing door panel was too much of a hassel.

No search has mentioned glovebox, center console, nor ambient orange light next to dome switch yet--or google isnt finding it.
Old 11-14-13, 03:20 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is one thread for replacing door handle lights with LED

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-handles.html
Old 11-23-13, 03:13 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Got the remainder of my LEDs in (third cargo light, middle dome, and four vanity lights) this eBay seller sent me a surplus of LEDs, i guess to ensure my satisfaction that all my lights will've been replaced by the initial purchase.

They fit but ideally slightly smaller than 28mm would work better for the cargo lights otherwise the on/off button wont sit correctly.

the center dome required the larger 41mm festoon. one thing i forgot and i should point out and remind--the right side (passenger side) of the light cover has a large tab that sit inside the ceiling and should be loosened last or else you may break it trying to pry open first...

vanity lights do dim but the difference between bright and dark is naught compared to the original bulb variations tween dark and light. vanity lights were a bit tricky to get the cover off without experience but once you find the little tabs and recognise your own strength they come out quick. just know that there are tabs on all four sides.

right on and thanks for the link! i have since then found links for doorsills, floormats, glovebox and doorhandles! the only lights i think i'd need now would be the center console and ambiance-lighting on the switch of the front dome.
Old 01-07-14, 08:38 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

License plate lights are not turn based bulbs, they were wedges just like the frontdoor lights--luckily i had lots of extra wedges.
Old 06-26-14, 02:35 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Can you confirm what size led in the Vanity mirrors?
Thanks for the info on the dome and the map lights

also to confirm the 27mm led will fit in the 3 cargo lights?
Old 07-09-14, 12:57 PM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Can you confirm what size led in the Vanity mirrors?
Thanks for the info on the dome and the map lights

also to confirm the 27mm led will fit in the 3 cargo lights?
Been busy, haven't been on in a while. 27mm DOES fit securely in the 3 cargo housings.

Don't remember the size exactly for the vanity mirrors, but the ones I mentioned afore do fit.
Old 05-23-17, 12:56 PM
dhwestcott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the vanity mirror lights I have found these to fit and work after purchasing several other sizes that said they fit they did not fit. iJDMTOY (4) 3-SMD 29mm 6614F LED Replacement Bulbs For Car Sun Visor Vanity Mirror Lights, Xenon White . I purchased a 4 pack from this Amazon seller and all 4 worked. They do dim, but it is very minimal. If you are looking at having these LED do a full dim like the standard bulb don't buy them. I am not the seller or have anything to do with them, just a new 2009 RX 350 owner that was looking at replacing the interior lights with LED's. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doug
Old 05-23-17, 03:41 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dhwestcott
As far as the vanity mirror lights I have found these to fit and work after purchasing several other sizes that said they fit they did not fit. iJDMTOY (4) 3-SMD 29mm 6614F LED Replacement Bulbs For Car Sun Visor Vanity Mirror Lights, Xenon White . I purchased a 4 pack from this Amazon seller and all 4 worked. They do dim, but it is very minimal. If you are looking at having these LED do a full dim like the standard bulb don't buy them. I am not the seller or have anything to do with them, just a new 2009 RX 350 owner that was looking at replacing the interior lights with LED's. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doug
I put those in my vanity mirrors and I took them out after a while. They were too bright! They blinded you so that you couldn't see yourself in the mirror. I now have led lamps that have only one led in the tube.
Old 05-24-17, 05:20 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been pretty happy with the vanity LED's from VLEDS. They're brighter without being blinding though, as stated above, they really don't dim much. These are the older, 2 LED design as the 6 LED ones are still on preorder as of this post. They are available in 5K & 6K as well as green and red. Normally $2 per bulb they're 50% off until they run out though they do charge for shipping.