RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 11:02 AM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures and a disclosure

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
WOW! please share some pictures... curious to see how well the car holds up aesthetically after seeing 330k or road use, bugs, dust/sand, stone chips.

We'd all like to see images of it!
---------------------------------------------------

The most i've actually seen [none of this, i heard through my cousin's, uncle's goldfish business...] was 260k KM's, was for sale recently in form of an 04 RX330 AWD (Full Load less air susp.) for 9k. Would've made a cool winter beater!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that we do not have quite 330,000 miles. Currently we sit at 329,691. By the end of this weekend we will have reached 330,00.

Here are some pictures I found of our RX in various places. I will take some more detailed, close up pictures shortly and post those as well.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex1.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex4.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex5.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex6.jpg  

Old 11-26-13, 11:09 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jengelha
We have had very little work done outside of regular maintenance and we are still running strong at 330,000. Most of these are trip miles. The vehicle has driven to 48 states, many provinces, pulled a camper, carried everything we have asked, including hockey gear regularly, tooled around some Jeep trails near Moab and gotten us everywhere we wanted. We broke down and bought a GX for the third seat, but ReX is still driven daily I have no reservations driving it, even in a blizzard.
How many timing belt changes have you done and how have you serviced the transmission and how often?
Old 11-26-13, 12:11 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that we do not have quite 330,000 miles. Currently we sit at 329,691. By the end of this weekend we will have reached 330,00.

Here are some pictures I found of our RX in various places. I will take some more detailed, close up pictures shortly and post those as well.

Jeff
nice pics....thanks for sharing!

love the rims on your winter tires!
Old 11-26-13, 02:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

We have had very little work done outside of regular maintenance and we are still running strong at 330,000. Most of these are trip miles. The vehicle has driven to 48 states, many provinces, pulled a camper, carried everything we have asked, including hockey gear regularly, tooled around some Jeep trails near Moab and gotten us everywhere we wanted. We broke down and bought a GX for the third seat, but ReX is still driven daily I have no reservations driving it, even in a blizzard.
Welcome to Club Lexus, jengelha, and thank you for posting your pictures. Have been to Moab in the past, however, never in my RX. Rented a vehicle (Jeep) for my time out there while touring the area. Your pictures bring back some memories. Glad to see you have made it past 300K miles and will give you a full pass on saying you have 330K. When you have that many miles rounding is allowed.

Old 11-26-13, 02:51 PM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing belt & Tranny fluid

Originally Posted by alchemist
How many timing belt changes have you done and how have you serviced the transmission and how often?
We had the dealer do the timing belt at 90K and 200K and had a local shop do it at 300K. Without looking I think we have had the tranny fluid changed about every 80K. We have been pretty regular with what they have recommended since the cost of fluid is way less than a new one. Most of our service has been at the dealer, but we also have a local guy that we use. I recommend keeping a relationship with the dealer for when you need it. We have had a couple instances where that has come in handy.
Old 11-26-13, 02:55 PM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter tires & wheels

Originally Posted by kickin8
nice pics....thanks for sharing!

love the rims on your winter tires!
Thanks for the rim compliment. I am a stanch advocate of winter tires and wheels. Living in Minnesota we get some snow and cold. The first set of Blizzaks we had lasted quite well, but they were not as good at being winter tires after a few seasons. We switched to Nokian Hakkaplettas and they have been great so far, but we have yet to get real winter weather this year.
Old 11-27-13, 07:04 AM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default Now for pictures of our concerns

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
WOW! please share some pictures... curious to see how well the car holds up aesthetically after seeing 330k or road use, bugs, dust/sand, stone chips.

We'd all like to see images of it!
---------------------------------------------------

The most i've actually seen [none of this, i heard through my cousin's, uncle's goldfish business...] was 260k KM's, was for sale recently in form of an 04 RX330 AWD (Full Load less air susp.) for 9k. Would've made a cool winter beater!
I went out and took pictures of our concern areas. Although the vehicle still looks really good, as you can see from the first picture, we do have some rust. The one that I think I need to do something about is the one under the rear license plate. Aside from that it is superficial rust underneath and rock chips on the hood that went unnoticed and started to rust. I apologize for the clarity on some of the pictures. I took most of them in the garage with poor lighting since I did not want to stand outside too long in the 5 degree morning.
Attached Thumbnails Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2013112701.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2013112702.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2013112703.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2013112704.jpg   Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?-rex2013112705.jpg  

Old 11-27-13, 08:06 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

This is an interesting thread for me. My wife drives a 7 1/2 year old 2006 RX330 withn 61,000 miles. I bought it "off lease" with 17,000 miles 4 1/2 years ago. Anyway, our world has changed and wife will soon be on the road, locally, daily at a new job. I expect she'll put on 18 to 20K miles/year. Although our original plan was to get a new car in about a year, now that she'll be beating the crap out of them this thread has inspired me to do any repairs and keep on truckin (as long as gas prices say under $4).
Old 11-27-13, 08:30 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I went out and took pictures of our concern areas. Although the vehicle still looks really good, as you can see from the first picture, we do have some rust. The one that I think I need to do something about is the one under the rear license plate. Aside from that it is superficial rust underneath and rock chips on the hood that went unnoticed and started to rust. I apologize for the clarity on some of the pictures. I took most of them in the garage with poor lighting since I did not want to stand outside too long in the 5 degree morning.
For the amount of mileage, it is a little expected. I personally get the cars undercoated, it worked out to 100$/per car yearly but it keeps the underbody clean!
Old 11-27-13, 09:16 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

jengelha - thanks for showing us how long our vehicles could last with the right maintenance. And the potential rust spots for those of us with salted roads and do not choose to rust proof. (not my case)

How many rack & Pinions have you gone through? and how many headlights? or were these never a problem for you?
Old 11-27-13, 10:03 AM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default Will get maintenance records

Originally Posted by RXPhil
jengelha - thanks for showing us how long our vehicles could last with the right maintenance. And the potential rust spots for those of us with salted roads and do not choose to rust proof. (not my case)

How many rack & Pinions have you gone through? and how many headlights? or were these never a problem for you?
It sounds like enough people are curious that I should do some research. I am scheduled for the 330,000 mile oil change on Monday. While I am at the dealer, I will ask for a copy of our history and post a summary of things then. Off the top of my head I cannot remember all that we have done.
Old 12-02-13, 04:54 PM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default Maintenance info

Originally Posted by RXPhil

I apologize for the length of this post. I tried to be pretty complete.

I specifically asked about steering and he searched the logs and found nothing. So, we have had no work done on the steering system aside from power steering fluid. I believe we have only replaced one headlight bulb. I do not see it on the list, but I remember one. We have replaced many tail light bulbs and I am getting pretty good at that.

Let me qualify all of these stats with a disclaimer that the maintenance log is hard to read for me, so I may be off a bit.

Timing belts were done at 96,000 & 182,000 by the dealer and just before 300,000 by our local guy.

Transmission, differential, transaxle fluids have been changed many times, it looks like 10 or more.

The dealer has done 47 oil changes plus another dozen or more locally.

We have replaced rotors a few times and pads many time. Apparently I am hard on brakes.

Notable, non-Warranty or maintenance issues that we have had:
Radio went out at 120,000 The dealer found a wiring short to fix it.
Radiator sprung a leak at 167,000. Local Toyota dealer fixed it, but dealer reimbursed for parts.
Brake Caliper stuck at 225,000.

I think the following are the tires. Not all of these were from the dealer, but I could calculate the mileage pretty closely.
I hated the original Good Years and it seems like they went fast. keep in mind that of the 67,000 miles, 30-40 were on the winter tires.
Michelin MXV4S8 at 67,000. <- great tires
Michelin MXV4 177,000 <- pretty good tires. but wore faster, not worth the price
Kumho Solus KL21 230,000 <- These were fine - great for the price
Bridgestone Radial T/A Spec 305,000 <- really cheap from the tirerack.com good so far

We used Blizzaks for the first 10 winters. They were great at first and then went down to really good after a few winters. I replaced them this fall with Nokian Hakkappelita R2SUV winter tiires.
I would guess we put on around 15-20K on the winter tires each year.

Any other questions?
Old 12-02-13, 07:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Its just nice to see that someone else is as on top of service and records as i am haha, my friends neglect their cars, but they just say i'm being extreme. We have a 2008 with 86k we bought brand new
Old 12-04-13, 01:40 PM
jengelha
Driver School Candidate

Default The end of the road for our RX

While attempting to adjust the alignment during our 330,000 mile maintenance visit part of the steering assembly broke due to rust. Our bill after repairs was going to be $3,000 for this one and the other side has seen the same Minnesota winters. So, we are trading in our 2004 RX for a 2014 RX. Hopefully I can post again in ten years that we are over 300,000 miles on that one.
Old 12-04-13, 02:02 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

Ohhhhhh nooooo. How much did they offer you for your car?

Quick Reply: Most Miles You've Heard of in a 330 or 350?