RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need help with exhaust - 2009 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 07:05 PM
rx350lover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with exhaust - 2009 RX 350

I am new to working on Lexus vehicles. I decided to change the oil cooler and it seems I won't have any problem with that. Though I would appreciate knowing if you guys use some paste/silicone on the gasket?

And now for my REAL problem; look at the pics and see that one of the two bolts attaching the exhaust pipe to the manifold(???) isn't screwed at all. How should I approach such problem? I figured I'll loosen up the nut located a few inches down on the pipe (not on the pic) so the pipe might move a bit so I can align the two holes of the manifold(???) and exhaust pipe - right now they are not exactly aligned due to the fact there is no bolt holding the two parts together on the right side. But how am I supposed to deal with screwing the bolt? I have never seen such type of bolt and have no tool for it. I assume it needs to be screwed in??? Am I supposed to loosen the nut (right against the exhaust pipe)?

Sorry for my poor explanation. Hope you can help me a bit.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-13, 07:55 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey friend. You have a TORX end on the stud. The stud screws into the base, then the bolt actually tightens the joint. Buy some PB BLASTER and soak the stud and bolts. Let it do it's work. Loosen and tighten and loosen and tighten and loosen until they come loose completely. Then screw the stud not fully in, all the way in. You can buy a TORX socket set at your local sears or parts house.
Old 11-11-13, 08:33 PM
rx350lover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Hey friend. You have a TORX end on the stud. The stud screws into the base, then the bolt actually tightens the joint. Buy some PB BLASTER and soak the stud and bolts. Let it do it's work. Loosen and tighten and loosen and tighten and loosen until they come loose completely. Then screw the stud not fully in, all the way in. You can buy a TORX socket set at your local sears or parts house.
Thank you so much!!! It is very much appreciated. No, I had never before seen a TORX thingie

Regarding the gaskets of the oil cooler, should I use some sort of silicone or something like that? I am changing the oil cooler that has the two rubber hoses (Toyota's faulty design) for the all aluminium one. And I was wondering if I can use the new gasket without some sort of silicone?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-13, 07:12 PM
rx350lover
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

Liquid wrench overnight and an impact drill did the job of removing it. The thing is, there was nothing wrong with the stud on the right. Toyota, in its infinite wisdom, decided that the one on the left would go all the way thru, while the one on the right wouldn't and for no apparent reason as there is plenty of space to have both studs at the same height. So there was nothing wrong over there.

I just completed changing the oil cooler and it was a lot more simple that what some have written about. I'll expand on it later in the proper thread.