RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

passenger side window - blinking switch light...still.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 07:10 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger side window - blinking switch light...still.

Hello all -

I'm new to the forums and new to Lexus ownership. I have a 2004 rx330 and the passenger side window will not roll down from the main cluster on the driver's side. It will, however, roll down from that door.

I've searched and read the tips on here to reprogram that window, but it doesn't seem to work for me and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person and have worked on many cars in my 20+ years of screwing around on cars, so I know it's quite possible I'm doing something wrong.

I've rolled the window all the way down from the switch on the passenger side door (the only way it will roll down) and I've held the switch down for 5 seconds, rolled up and held the switch up for 5 seconds.

I've even tired rolling the window halfway down, holding the switch for 5 seconds, then back up and held the switch up for 5 seconds.

Nuthin'

If I try to roll the window down from the main driver's side cluster, the switch green light blinks on the switch on the passenger side.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
mike
Old 10-29-13, 07:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Just try again on another day. Sometimes that is all that it takes. Is discussed on page 74 of your Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...004rx33/12.pdf
Old 10-29-13, 07:36 PM
mpatton
Rookie

this is the 4th time I've tried...
Old 10-29-13, 10:21 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried rolling it down on the passenger side and then holding down the button on the driver's door for 15 seconds? And then roll it up from the passenger side and hold up the button on the driver's door for 15 seconds? If that doesn't work then it sounds like a short in the driver's control module in the door.
Old 11-09-13, 07:42 AM
mpatton
Rookie

I removed the passenger door panel this morning and unplugged the window module and plugged it back in and then rolled the window down on the passenger side and did the reprogramming routine and it still didn't work.

Old 11-09-13, 08:11 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

You may need to reset the main switch in the driver side door panel. Or disconnect the negative of the battery, let it sit for 10 minutes and put back on. You need to do the initialization for all Windows as well as the sun roof after that.
Old 11-09-13, 08:15 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by dcdyd
You may need to reset the main switch in the driver side door panel. Or disconnect the negative of the battery, let it sit for 10 minutes and put back on. You need to do the initialization for all Windows as well as the sun roof after that.
Oddly enough, the only thing I *haven't* done is unplug the battery because I had always assumed that's what caused the issue in the first place. I suppose it certainly doesn't hurt to start from the beginning.

Thanks for reminding me I'm lazy.
Old 11-09-13, 11:44 AM
stevies30
Driver

Let us know how it turns out please
Old 05-06-14, 06:55 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Hello again everyone. It's only taken me this long to have the time to unplug the battery and then try other things.

First. I unplugged the battery and waited about 10 min. Hooked it back up, went through the reprogram cycle, same thing. All windows work from their local switch & the main switch EXCEPT the passenger side, it still will not go down from the main driver's switch. It just blinks at me in a mocking fashion.

Second. I removed the switches themselves to see if anything was obstructing or interfering with connections. Nothing that I could see. I unplugged the battery during this and plugged it back in. Went through the reprogram steps, same result. All windows work from their local switch and the main switch except the passenger side from the main switch.

I'm out of ideas...anyone else?

Also, in case anyone cares, attached are some pictures showing the switches, their removal and the tab spots if you need to pry yours off some day.

Can just the main board be switched out? If so, I haven't found it on Sewell. *Edit: I just found master switches for $300+ on ebay. Yikes.

Cheers and I'd be grateful if anyone had any other suggestions.

Sorry for the crappy rotation on the pics, I just noticed how crappy they look. Hopefully the whole album shows, should be 4 images.

http://imgur.com/a/WG2Xw

Last edited by mpatton; 05-06-14 at 07:01 PM. Reason: image link edit
Old 05-06-14, 06:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mpatton
First. I unplugged the battery and waited about 10 min. Hooked it back up, went through the reprogram cycle, same thing. All windows work from their local switch & the main switch EXCEPT the passenger side, it still will not go down from the main driver's switch. It just blinks at me in a mocking fashion.
Personally, I do not think 10 minutes is enough to clear things out. Believe it needs to be 30+ minutes. Of course, that is just an opinion and grasping at straws even at that.
Old 05-06-14, 07:03 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Personally, I do not think 10 minutes is enough to clear things out. Believe it needs to be 30+ minutes. Of course, that is just an opinion and grasping at straws even at that.
Yeah, I read conflicting information whether it was 10 or 30 and I was losing daylight. However, considering I had to reprogram the other windows, I assumed it cleared enough. Nevertheless, I will try a good 30 min+ this weekend.

So frustrating.

Thanks
Old 05-06-14, 07:12 PM
mpatton
Rookie

You know what's interesting. I just looked at the replacement switches on ebay and the entire module has 3 screws on the backside of the off-white "case." Mine didn't have those screws. The "case" just snapped into place, though there were screw holes. First, I wonder who has messed with this in the past and secondly, I wonder..if by chance...maybe the lack of screws is not letting the connection for the driver's side be complete enough to signal the window to roll down.

On the one hand, I doubt it because when I push the button from the main switch, the led on the passenger door switch blinks, so presumably it "knows" there is a signal to roll down. On the other hand, stranger things have happened.
Old 05-13-14, 03:09 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure that when you roll up the window you pull the switch up past the first indent into the auto up position (ie. pull the switch up hard)...If you only pull up to the first position, the window will not program the auto up feature.
Old 05-13-14, 03:10 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Also....Each window has to be programmed from the door the window is in. The master switch on the driver's door will not work for the passenger doors until each door has been programmed.
Old 05-14-14, 10:36 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Also....Each window has to be programmed from the door the window is in. The master switch on the driver's door will not work for the passenger doors until each door has been programmed.
Yeah, I've been programming them from their individual switches and I assume I'm doing it correctly since the other 3 doors worked again after I disconnected the battery during this adventure. Thanks for the info, though.

Quick Reply: passenger side window - blinking switch light...still.