RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How can I identify the sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 09:47 PM
LoLoM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I identify the sound system?

How can I identify the sound system that came with my wife's RX350 2009? It has navigation system with rear camera, 18" chrome wheels, wiper blades starts on its own when it rains and heated seats.

What I want to do is replace the woofer(if it has) with more powerful because our sons are now teenagers and are complaining that the vehicle needs more base in it.

I am not even sure if replacing the woofer with more power will do the trick.

Please advise.
Old 10-13-13, 10:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, LoLoM.

Unfortunately for your situation there is not a separate subwoofer in your RX. Like many topics here at CL, yours has been discussed on numerous occasions. Here is one thread for you to check out, amongst many:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...o-quality.html

As for identifying the system in your RX350, the base system is from Pioneer. If you have the upgraded Mark Levinson system it would be noted just above the CD slot and by the additional speaker on the front dash just above the NAV display.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-levinson.html
Old 10-14-13, 12:04 AM
LoLoM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the links you gave me, I can conclude that I have the pioneer sound system.

As I mentioned above, I just want more base in the sound system but I don't want to replace everything in it.

How can I add a subwoofer to the system without replacing everything in it? I just want the simplest way of doing it. I don't know if this is possible, say, replace or add amplifier that has connection for a sub?

If the above is possible, where is the amplifier for 2009 rx350 located? How about the place for the sub? Is there other hiding place other than the spare tire compartment?

By the way, how about removing one of the speakers and directly replace it a subwoofer? This sounds very stupid but I don't have the slightest idea on how sound system works. Is this going to damage the sound system????

Please share some ideas...

EDIT: Last week I noticed that extra sub in my garage. It's an 8" or 10" sub, 180 watts. Then I remembered that I have two of those, unless I forgot that I already gave one away to a friend hehehe... I am thinking of using this unless it is too big for the available hiding places of an RX350.
Old 10-14-13, 10:03 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LoLoM
Using the links you gave me, I can conclude that I have the pioneer sound system.

As I mentioned above, I just want more base in the sound system but I don't want to replace everything in it.

How can I add a subwoofer to the system without replacing everything in it? I just want the simplest way of doing it. I don't know if this is possible, say, replace or add amplifier that has connection for a sub?

If the above is possible, where is the amplifier for 2009 rx350 located? How about the place for the sub? Is there other hiding place other than the spare tire compartment?

By the way, how about removing one of the speakers and directly replace it a subwoofer? This sounds very stupid but I don't have the slightest idea on how sound system works. Is this going to damage the sound system????

Please share some ideas...

EDIT: Last week I noticed that extra sub in my garage. It's an 8" or 10" sub, 180 watts. Then I remembered that I have two of those, unless I forgot that I already gave one away to a friend hehehe... I am thinking of using this unless it is too big for the available hiding places of an RX350.

check out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8184533
I have (had?) the same problem. The base RX350 system is really bad and the little bass there is sounds muddy. I have added (as you will see at the thread above) a Kenwood KSC SW11C. Inexpensive - fits under the driver's seat - easy installation. I set it at 100Hz and mid-level volume, and it helps a lot. Good luck!
Old 10-14-13, 12:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LoLoM
This sounds very stupid but I don't have the slightest idea on how sound system works. Is this going to damage the sound system????
If you are not sure what you are doing it is probably best to let this work be done by a local sound shop. That way you will get a quality installation and proper setup.

Originally Posted by pauljcl
check out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8184533
I have (had?) the same problem. The base RX350 system is really bad and the little bass there is sounds muddy. I have added (as you will see at the thread above) a Kenwood KSC SW11C. Inexpensive - fits under the driver's seat - easy installation. I set it at 100Hz and mid-level volume, and it helps a lot. Good luck!
The URL pauljcl points out is the last posting on the first URL thread I provided in my first post. Was hoping you would read all the way through and see that. He has already gone the route you are looking at. Not sure about using the ones you have in your garage. Perhaps you could compare the specs to the Kenwood he used. Either way, find a local shop, talk with them a bit to see what they might charge you and go from there.