RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rack and pinion help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 08:37 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Had the same problem. My boot was torn and had some gunk in it. No loss of fluid from reservoir. Just replaced the boot $9 been good since
Old 07-31-14, 08:45 AM
ranma21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 has 83k no leaks so far, but I did replace the power steering fluid hoping to prevent the seals going bad. So far so good.
Old 10-28-14, 07:49 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yet another R&P problem.

2009 Rx350 at 69K and 1 month before the CPO warranty ends. Detected during a routine
oil change by non-lexus shop and replaced under CPO warranty by Lexus dealership.
Old 10-30-14, 02:38 PM
MNSC3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue on my '08 RX 350. Boots are not ripped or torn, no drips on the floor. Driver's side boot has a little grease around the end, passenger side had more grease/fluid on the boot. I just wipe it off and keep checking. I ran some Auto RX thru the power steering for 1000 miles, I'm flushing the power steering now with 2 or 3 quarts ATF, then I'll switch to Mobil 1. We'll see how it goes. If all you really need to do is just replace the seals that's a great idea, I have 2 excellent mechanics. Power steering fluid is the most often neglected service at the dealer's. Kinda makes you wonder why with all these problems ? Power steering racks going out at 60-90,000 miles is not Lexus quality to me. Should have never sold my '98 SC 300, best car I've ever owned. I'm 61 and have owned aprox 48 vehicles.

2008 RX 350 Flint Mica/blk 84,000 miles
Old 01-21-18, 10:44 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

08 with 100K on it. Noticed boots on the passenger site like the picture here. Based on this condition, I wonder whether I shall replace it or wait it until wose. Any opinion?

Old 01-21-18, 11:17 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I ran ours with the same seepage on the boot to about 200k and replaced it with a rack from Maval. Just keep an eye on the power steering fluid.
Old 01-22-18, 06:15 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my two cents, I have a 2004 RX330. The boot has been 'wet' since I bought the car. My mechanic said don't mess with it unless you actually start losing fluid. Despite the wet boot, my power steering fluid hasn't budged in three years. In addition I've put about 30k miles on the car.

I'd say keep an eye on it, if you see it dripping and start losing fluid get it replaced. Otherwise you may get years more.
Old 01-22-18, 06:56 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the great advises. I noticed some discussion in this forum talked about replacing the boot. Is it necessary if the boot is not broken?
Old 01-22-18, 01:38 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was looking to buy a RX I test drove one and it made a noise around a low speed turn...Hopped out and took a look at the rack and it was shot. Torn boots, grease coming out.. I said, no thanks.

A few years later (after picking up ther RX I have now) I had a warped rotor and when I took a look I noticed the passenger side boot was torn.

I came to the conclusion that in my case (and I wouldn't be surprised if others are caused by this too) the torn boot was probably caused by vibration from a warped rotor and the aluminum shield right next to the boot rubbing together.

(In my second pic you can see the shield I'm talking about ~ it has a black a wire tie on it)

I actually added a second wire tie to it closer to the bottom to prevent this from happening again. (Sorry no pic)

If you own an RX I suggest doing this as form of preventative maintenance.

Luckily I caught it before any damage (besides the boot tearing) occurred. In the pic you can actually see the shavings below the boot.

Not too hard a fix with the right tools.

Be sure to secure everything and mark your threads to get your alignment "close enough" to where it was. An alignment should be performed after this repair.

Marked threads example pic ~ i redid the markings a second time so the line was straight (be sure not to rub the marker off when removing the tie rod end)

Replacement boot after install

On a side note: If you rack has grease everywhere chances are you will eventually have to swap it. $1-2k ballpark sounds about right unless you have a hook up on parts and can do the work (not an EZ job)...
Old 01-22-18, 04:03 PM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 RX330 leaked about a quarter sized spot every night. I know a steering rack replacement is coming, and they are not too expensive at Rockauto....but... I took about half the power steering fluid out of the reservoir and replaced with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I am not a believer in snake oil but I figured I had nothing to lose. I tell you what, the stuff worked. It has not leaked ONE DROP since I put it in about four months ago. Not one. I am pretty shocked and I have no idea if it is a permanent fix, but I am happy that I do not have to replace the rack right now. If it starts leaking in the future, I will order the steering rack and replace it along with the control arms and tie rod ends. But until then I am pretty amazed. Oh yeah, forgot to add it has about 210,000 miles.
Old 01-23-18, 06:31 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Snake oil is the best oil! I have replaced the passenger side boot once and drained and filled with Lucas power steering stop leak. We are at 160K miles now and going strong. The boot does get a little oily on the outside, but the level in the reservoir remains constant so I am not going to worry about it until the seal really starts leaking. The driver's side is dry as a bone.
Old 02-21-18, 09:36 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all,,I do not mean to hijack the thread,,my 04 rx330 with 77k miles on it started to make that shadering noise feeling on turning steering at low speed,,I do not see any leak at the boots at least a visible one
What do you suggest please?
I just need this car for short distances
Old 02-21-18, 09:59 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Noise when turning usually is an outer CV joint going bad, There could be other less common problems though...
Old 02-21-18, 01:33 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADood
Replacing the boot won't fix your problem. The end seal of the rack is leaking, and it needs a rebuild or replacement. It is an extremely common problem on the RX330/350. It got so bad that toyota switched manufacturers of the racks.
do highlanders suffer the same problem?
Old 02-22-18, 03:35 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Yes, Highlanders have the same problem(s) we RX owners suffer!

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion help :(