RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

upgrade Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 08:36 AM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade Bluetooth

Hey new user here. I have a 2005 rx330 with tthe nav/Bluetooth package. I just upgraded from an iPhone to and android and now I'm having trouble connecting my phone via Bluetooth. It will connect but audio will not route through the stero system.

My question is, I've been looking to upgrade my Bluetooth so I can stream music as well. Currently this is not supported with my Bluetooth. How can I make this happen?
Old 10-08-13, 08:46 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to tell you this, although you can do bluetooth phone operations, you can't stream bluetooth audio in any of our cars till 2010 model years.
Old 10-08-13, 08:51 AM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Sorry to tell you this, although you can do bluetooth phone operations, you can't stream bluetooth audio in any of our cars till 2010 model years.
Isn't there a way to upgrade the actual Bluetooth hardware to make it work?
Old 10-08-13, 09:29 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmff5
Isn't there a way to upgrade the actual Bluetooth hardware to make it work?
Not as simple as you might think. This is integrated into the stereo and the vehicle controls. If you were looking to integrate an iPod you might be able to get away with a hardwire setup which is not all that expensive. However, I have not seen anything that plays well with Android. Perhaps others might chime in on the subject.

You would perhaps have better luck in upgrading your existing unit with a new double-din configuration such as the one Carver installed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html
Old 10-08-13, 10:29 AM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

What about these?
http://www.icarkits.com/cars/LEXUS_R...tooth_car_kits
Also thanks for replying
Old 10-08-13, 10:58 AM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

So if upgrading mg Bluetooth isn't a good option, how can I get it to work with my car? Currently my issue is that it is finicky to connect and then the audio rarely goes through the stereo system.
Old 10-08-13, 11:06 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmff5
What about these?
http://www.icarkits.com/cars/LEXUS_R...tooth_car_kits
Also thanks for replying
There are many products out there. Just not hearing much about those which work well with Android. Little has been posted here at CL of note. Here is another, for example:

http://www.oemautointegration.com/product/grom-u2-toy

Problem is that there are so many combination and permutations of configurations, including the various phones, to make a definitive call. Many here at CL when faced with such a situation have been upgrading their systems to something much newer. You do not need to get a stereo unit with a new NAV, however, it does not hurt if it comes with lifetime map and traffic information.

The next best thing I can recommend is to talk personally with whomever you wish to purchase from to make sure you can return without charge if the product does not work. I would also be asking about any possible configuration problems with having a second Bluetooth connection attached to the existing stereo unit. I know that Bluetooth does not care, however, I have read nothing about how the Lexus stereo might hand such a situation and how it would distinguish between the two during connection attempts. There are no written specs for this. Now, if you were to use a physical connection to the Android you would be safe to go.
Old 10-08-13, 12:11 PM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

Hm I like that link. I'll look into that and possibly someone to actually talk to in person. Thank you for all your help.
I Just wish at the very least my phone and car played together nicely enough to make w phone call.
Old 10-09-13, 05:14 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know how this works out for you. I am also liking this option.
Old 10-09-13, 09:26 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've upgraded my stereo system to a double din system.

My stereo is a Pioneer 2012 stereo system, which Pioneer fumbled with their flawed and over complicated bluetooth upgrade processed. Never the less the bluetooth have been upgraded and so far, it works with any phone thrown at it except the Palm Pre, (song info came in fine music was choppy) which is discontinued anyway.

I have the iPhone 5S with iOS 7 which works fine, my friend with the iPhone 4S with iOS 6 works fine, my girlfriend has the Samsung Galaxy S3 and that works fine, another friend has a Verizon Droid and hers works fine with it also. Whether playing mp3's, Pandora or WeFunk Radio all the song information such as title artist genre etc also is displayed on the unit.

The issue now is video. Some of the new 2013 Pioneer radios are now coming with an hdmi input. So you can use a phone that has an hdmi out. I'm assuming that Pioneer 2013 line has the HDMI 1.0 standard, and recently HDMI 2.0 standard has been recently released. It's just as complicated on the Apple side of it also, with the new lightning adaptor from iPhone you need special cables in order to transfer video to the Pioneers App radio. Apple users can activate Siri from the 2013 stereo unit but the 2012 unit can not.

Bottom line, do your research watch reviews on Youtube of the stereo that you're interested before doing any type of upgrade. Video Streaming and Mirroring phone to the dash seems to be new ground which hasn't been fine tuned yet. As phone technology changes everyone else is trying to catch up. I think that's why Apple had a big lead because their cables were standard for many years while others switched from their own proprietary adaptors to mini usb to micro usb. Just my 2¢.

Last edited by 1koolfella; 10-09-13 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-12-13, 11:22 AM
kjmff5
Driver School Candidate

So I think I hit a new problem. I have a mark levenson system installed in my 2005 RX330 Thundercloud edition. I think my stereo system also has security sensors(?) installed. I was going through the instructions BEFORE i buy any kits and it says I need the security code!? Where do I get that?