RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Power Hatch Button Repair Experience - 2008 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 08:28 PM
Frayzn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Power Hatch Button Repair Experience - 2008 RX 350

Good Evening!

I just wanted to share with you an experience I just had with my 2008 RX 350.

TL;DR is at the bottom. I realized later that I probably got a little more wordy than I should have.

I was out in the garage, getting ready to load up my luggage for a long weekend trip with my wife. I normally use the button on the key to open the hatch, but for whatever reason, this time I used the button on the hatch above the license plate. When I touched it, it was very sticky. I pulled my hand away and there was melted rubber all over it. Though this didn't affect the functionality of the hatch, I was very concerned. I also had no way of telling just how long it had been that way since we always use the key fob. I scheduled an appointment with my local Lexus dealership for later that week.

When I arrived at the dealership, I was greeted by an Advisor named Alex. Though he had never seen or heard of this issue, he showed genuine concern and took a look and feel for himself. His surprise was the same as mine. He scheduled a repair and ordered the part. I was to come back that Friday.

When I dropped my car off that Friday, I was informed that I could take a courtesy car of my choice. A 2013 IS-F Sport was in the garage. Thinking they'd say, "no," I asked anyway. Alex tossed me the fob. He said the job would take a day, and that he'd see me on Monday.

When I arrived back on Monday, the RX was repaired. They apologized for any inconvenience that I went through. Performed a complimentary oil change, tire rotation, "World Class Inspection", and replaced a wiper blade all free of charge.

I'm a CPO owner. I didn't expect this treatment at all. I didn't drop $50,000 on a car, and this is my first Lexus, not my fourth.

I share this story because I had a similar issue with my Camry. Though Toyota and Lexus are the same company, their service philosophies are very different. At the Toyota dealership I was treated with indifference. I was a number, not a person. I was an opportunity to make them a profit and nothing more.

Though I can't guarantee that my next car will be a Lexus, it will definitely be my first stop, and a very strong consideration.

The little things go a long way.

TL;DR: Great service. Free repair, free oil change, free tire rotation, free inspection, free wiper blade, empathetic staff. I also got to drive an IS-F Sport for the weekend.
Old 10-07-13, 08:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad things worked out for you. Sounds like that dealership is a keeper. Unfortunately, some are not as thorough and considerate as yours. However, that is how warranty, to include CPO, is supposed to work.

Don't forget about the free car wash while they had your RX in the shop.

BTW, here is a DIY with pictures of your repair. As you can see, it took less than 30 minutes for this person to complete the repair. This should make you even more appreciative of your dealer. Most, even under warranty, might ask you to wait and not provide a loaner as the repair is under 2 hours.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...with-pics.html